Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Hard Drives
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
July 24, 2007 8:56:39 PM

I'm planning to build an enthusiast rig within years end and trying to at least acquire information about the gray area's of my computing knowledge. What case should I be looking for? I was originally planning to go all out and go CRAZY on the hard drives but I really don't see the need anymore...It's also a bit of a waste so I might just go with 3-4 1 tb drives or something..I'll figure out that road later on..

But about the case...I'm trying to go for the best looking and best case with airflow...Overall a great internal design that isn't cluttered. I was originally planning to get this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is ENORMOUS..has a TON of hard drive bays..But noticing its layout I'm kinda worried how heat can get trapped in certain areas....It's also not THAT pretty..

The second choice which I just stumbled across is the Stacker..I've heard so many people talking about the stacker cases and just newegg searched it...

Abso lutely gorgeous and sleek. But how's the air flow?...The specifications states one rear and front 120 mm fan slots. But on the side of the case in the pictures it also shows a opening tray that holds four 120mm fans...Also on the top of the case it looks like there is a vent of some kind. Does this case have a top ventilation fan as well or is just for looks?...Overall I love the way the stacker looks..It's just gorgeous..But airflow is a big concern for me..I'm not sure if I'm going to go the need of a Water cooling setup for this rig just yet. Considering how well C2D's overclock on a high quality air cooler is sufficient...But I might still go Water cooling and get a water block for the g90/g92 series when I get one of those cards.

I might just the gun and just nab a x38 board with a x1950xt/x and a cheap c2d for temp until penryn, g90/g92, r700 series are out...But not sure just yet....

So what do you think about these two cases?..are there any other cases that are better for airflow?...your thoughts would be greatly appreciated..Gotta start piecing everything together so by the time the hardware comes out I've already done my research...Then I can just buy the rig without having to research everything at that time and have to wait a month or two.

More about : case airflow

July 24, 2007 9:24:25 PM

check out the antec 900
July 24, 2007 9:25:30 PM

Kamrooz said:
I'm planning to build an enthusiast rig within years end and trying to at least acquire information about the gray area's of my computing knowledge. What case should I be looking for? I was originally planning to go all out and go CRAZY on the hard drives but I really don't see the need anymore...It's also a bit of a waste so I might just go with 3-4 1 tb drives or something..I'll figure out that road later on..

But about the case...I'm trying to go for the best looking and best case with airflow...Overall a great internal design that isn't cluttered. I was originally planning to get this...

It is ENORMOUS..has a TON of hard drive bays..But noticing its layout I'm kinda worried how heat can get trapped in certain areas....It's also not THAT pretty..

The second choice which I just stumbled across is the Stacker..I've heard so many people talking about the stacker cases and just newegg searched it...

Abso lutely gorgeous and sleek. But how's the air flow?...The specifications states one rear and front 120 mm fan slots. But on the side of the case in the pictures it also shows a opening tray that holds four 120mm fans...Also on the top of the case it looks like there is a vent of some kind. Does this case have a top ventilation fan as well or is just for looks?...Overall I love the way the stacker looks..It's just gorgeous..But airflow is a big concern for me..I'm not sure if I'm going to go the need of a Water cooling setup for this rig just yet. Considering how well C2D's overclock on a high quality air cooler is sufficient...But I might still go Water cooling and get a water block for the g90/g92 series when I get one of those cards.

I might just the gun and just nab a x38 board with a x1950xt/x and a cheap c2d for temp until penryn, g90/g92, r700 series are out...But not sure just yet....

So what do you think about these two cases?..are there any other cases that are better for airflow?...your thoughts would be greatly appreciated..Gotta start piecing everything together so by the time the hardware comes out I've already done my research...Then I can just buy the rig without having to research everything at that time and have to wait a month or two.

you can cram as many as 9 120mm fans into the Stacker 830 if you so wish. Just be warned that the more standard fans, the more noise. Try Yate-Loon and Noctua fans for silence.

The Antec 900 is a cheaper option as it can be found for as low as $99http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... %2b900
It can hold as many as 5 120mm fans as well as a 200mm fan.

Other high-airflow designs are the Antec P190:
http://www.tomshardware.com/site/flash_videos/video_ant... w.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... p190

NZXT Zero (6x120mm, 1x80mm fans):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... nzxt%2bzero

NZXT Adamas and LEXA:
http://w ww.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146031
http://www.newegg.com/P roduct/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146032

My personal favorite is the Lian Li PC-60 PlusII
http:// www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681111211...

All of these cases use mediocre quality fans, so replacing them with high-quality ones from FrozenCPU.com would be wise if you care that much about noise. I know I would...
Related resources
July 24, 2007 9:42:14 PM

Hmm..Interesting..

Overall I'm going to stay away from mid towers...I need lots of space. I also have a Lian Li pc65 black midtower sitting in my closet..Looks completely brand new...Used it for 2-3 years in my old northwood rig. Once I put a prescott in there though it was overheating like crazy. With all the rounded IDE cables I had and all this other jazz it was horrendously congested...

After that experience I'm going for full tower...(On a full tower right now). Even though the Antec case is cheaper I'm probably going to go with that stacker I posted...I just love the way it looks..Also that is can hold 9 120mm fans like you said is great. But 9 does seem excessive..Is the actual case designed well to move the air or is it just one of those over the top "WE CAN HOLD 500 FANS!" gimmicks. I don't mind spending a lot on a case..Especially since it holds all my expensive hardware. I also like how the MB tray slides out. It makes putting the rig together and testing it so much easier.

I'm not sure how the noise would be. I tend to go crazy and get HIGH CFM fans..I have two 110 CFM fans in my current rig..it only has 2 slots..I don't even want to think what having 9 of them would be like...I might have to hold myself back and get something else...around 60 or so cfm's with a lower DBA...ohh the choices..But yea..If this case has genuinely great airflow in it's design and not just by massive amount of fans that can have all the air being pulled in/out conflicting against eachother..Then I'm all for it...and read to buy ^_^
July 24, 2007 11:11:06 PM

Kamrooz said:
Hmm..Interesting..

Overall I'm going to stay away from mid towers...I need lots of space. I also have a Lian Li pc65 black midtower sitting in my closet..Looks completely brand new...Used it for 2-3 years in my old northwood rig. Once I put a prescott in there though it was overheating like crazy. With all the rounded IDE cables I had and all this other jazz it was horrendously congested...

After that experience I'm going for full tower...(On a full tower right now). Even though the Antec case is cheaper I'm probably going to go with that stacker I posted...I just love the way it looks..Also that is can hold 9 120mm fans like you said is great. But 9 does seem excessive..Is the actual case designed well to move the air or is it just one of those over the top "WE CAN HOLD 500 FANS!" gimmicks. I don't mind spending a lot on a case..Especially since it holds all my expensive hardware. I also like how the MB tray slides out. It makes putting the rig together and testing it so much easier.

I'm not sure how the noise would be. I tend to go crazy and get HIGH CFM fans..I have two 110 CFM fans in my current rig..it only has 2 slots..I don't even want to think what having 9 of them would be like...I might have to hold myself back and get something else...around 60 or so cfm's with a lower DBA...ohh the choices..But yea..If this case has genuinely great airflow in it's design and not just by massive amount of fans that can have all the air being pulled in/out conflicting against eachother..Then I'm all for it...and read to buy ^_^

I modded my Dell XPS recently, adding 5 80mm fans to bring the total to 11 fans!
It runs much cooler now.
I also have a prescott CPU, but it doesnt run warm at all.

Mid-tower cases are fine unless you are looking for 8800s in SLI or 2900XTs or something...
July 24, 2007 11:23:03 PM

Yea....Been reading up all day on the cases now. I'm not planning to SLI..I find it a waste imo...I don't plan to game at 2048 or whatever resolutions...So no need. I am getting a 26 inch widescreen so I pretty much have to have a native high gaming resolution....But nothing too crazy high.

Overall after reading all the reviews I'm planning to nab the stacker 830..And fill it up with all 9 fan slots. Probably toss in high airflow/low noise solutions. God I can't wait to see the temps in this sucker. Especially since I plan to OC quite a bit ^_^...Time will tell how everything works out ^_^..Thx for the info guys...really appreciate it..if there is anything I'm overlooking please do post. I'd love to hear words from people as well who own the Coolermaster Stacker 830...

Planning to get it in black ^_^.
July 24, 2007 11:45:25 PM

Kamrooz said:
Yea....Been reading up all day on the cases now. I'm not planning to SLI..I find it a waste imo...I don't plan to game at 2048 or whatever resolutions...So no need. I am getting a 26 inch widescreen so I pretty much have to have a native high gaming resolution....But nothing too crazy high.

Overall after reading all the reviews I'm planning to nab the stacker 830..And fill it up with all 9 fan slots. Probably toss in high airflow/low noise solutions. God I can't wait to see the temps in this sucker. Especially since I plan to OC quite a bit ^_^...Time will tell how everything works out ^_^..Thx for the info guys...really appreciate it..if there is anything I'm overlooking please do post. I'd love to hear words from people as well who own the Coolermaster Stacker 830...

Planning to get it in black ^_^.

cases are primarily a personal preference
July 24, 2007 11:50:43 PM

Very true crzy. So many great cases out there with good air flow. But I just wanted to make sure the ones I picked out atleast had good airflow. All the reviews seem to speek highly of the case..So it has the airflow I need and the looks fit my tastes ^_^...Justifies the 250 bucks..

But the fans I'm curious about..maybe some scythe fans...Whatever fans I choose they are probably going to cost 15-25 each...so about `150-200 for fans!..OMG...that's just nuts >_<..maybe I can find it cheaper in bulk somewhere...but I'mma have to look around...lol..
July 25, 2007 1:00:07 AM

If you find cheap quiet fans, keep us posted. I'm looking for quiet fans and they are hard to come by cheap.

Antec makes quiet case fans. I just bought a p180b and the stock fans on low are insanely quiet compared to my old 80mm fans. Although thats NOT a good comparison, I like a quiet computer and these suit me fine.

These on low are very quiet:

Not sure how much air flow you actually need. If you need something with more CFM than the lowest setting, look for another fan. And don't ask about the high setting. Lets just say its loud.
July 25, 2007 1:01:38 AM

Kamrooz said:
Very true crzy. So many great cases out there with good air flow. But I just wanted to make sure the ones I picked out atleast had good airflow. All the reviews seem to speek highly of the case..So it has the airflow I need and the looks fit my tastes ^_^...Justifies the 250 bucks..

But the fans I'm curious about..maybe some scythe fans...Whatever fans I choose they are probably going to cost 15-25 each...so about `150-200 for fans!..OMG...that's just nuts >_<..maybe I can find it cheaper in bulk somewhere...but I'mma have to look around...lol..

good luck!
a b ) Power supply
July 25, 2007 3:15:34 AM

I've got an antec super lanboy with 2 120mm fans, and an antec sonata II, which is super quiet. Both were under $35 after Fry's rebates. I prefer the quiet one, but use the super lanboy for everyday use. I suggest you plan on switching to water cooling if you want to use a hot cpu such as the q6600. Plan your system around it. You won't be happy with any standard cases. Either they'll be too noisy or too hot.
July 25, 2007 4:16:02 AM

Well I'm not getting my rig now..I'm waiting...This will be a x38/penryn/g92 or r700 build...But I might jump the gun and just nab the x38 board I plan to use with a temporary cpu and gfx card till penryn and the next gen gfx cards come out...

Overall I'm going to get high cfg/low noise fans..Running 9 at once would be pretty loud..so I don't want to fill those with 115 cfm fans ^_^.
July 25, 2007 4:37:38 AM

I have the CM Stacker RC-832 and it's by far the best case I've ever seen. Air flow is outstanding, I've read reviews where it's comparable to an open test bench. Do yourself a favor if you go for the Stacker and get the 832, there are a few things Cooler Master changed over the 830.
July 25, 2007 5:12:59 AM

I just read into the 832...It's basicaly exactly the same. They just changed the front...And added some protection for the front top of the stacker in the box. Overall I've read some reviews comparing the two and they stated the cooling was exactly the same...I like the look of the 830 more then the 832...But who knows which I'll get. So far all the sites I have checked show the 832 costing slightly less then the 830...

The improved airflow is probably only due to the front slits that have been made for when the case is closed. I still might get the 830..I like the look a LOT more then the 832...but who knows..gotta wait and see...But atm leaning over to the 830 still..

overall it looks fantastic...I do like the idea of the 832's extra packing protection..I don't want this thing dinged up at all >_<..bah...gotta figure it out later..

Also gotta nab 9 high cfm/low noise fans..That's the most important thing..that's going to set me back nearly half the cost of the case...sheesh..
July 25, 2007 5:47:50 AM

Sweetness! I just noticed that newegg has the Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F fans..the ones that move the most air in the scythe family at 63.7 cfm's...at bulk purchase! I was thinking if I was going to disregard fan noise to just grab all silvertone fans I have atm..They push 110 cfm's but they have a DBA of 39.5 at the max setting. The Scythes run at 28 so it'll be more pleasant to the ears..Especially considering I'm going to fill the stacker completely..9 fans...O_O..

Default price on the scythe I'm looking at is 19.99..But with 6 or more bulk purchase it runs at 11.49 each! ^_^

Around 76 dollars saved! ^_^..nice stuff..Hopefully this deal will last to the time I buy my rig. If not I'll have to find another place. >_<
July 25, 2007 11:22:27 AM

Kamrooz said:
I just read into the 832...It's basicaly exactly the same. They just changed the front...And added some protection for the front top of the stacker in the box.

The biggest difference between the two is the 832's top fan is placed slightly further forward to allow for extra long PSU's like the Galaxy 1000 or Turbo Cool 1000. If that's not a concern for you then go with the 830.
July 25, 2007 11:28:06 AM

hmm...bah..choices...I'm wondering what type of power supply I'mma need for this sucker...probably a pretty big one considering I'm running all the fan slots available?...probably 3-5 hard drives...maybe 6...OC on the cpu with a x38 board..and a g92 or r700 depending on which is better...gonna oc that as well...

Bah..gotta through that PSU thread and read up on the amperages and make sure I get an adequate psu..I think 750-1000 should do it though.

I'll still have to think about the 832...but I'm considering it depending on what I plan to put in the rig..>_<
October 19, 2010 10:09:07 AM

hi I know you have answered the fundamental question, but I would like to know what is the best case for good airflow on the market today...???

Thanks much appreciated. I REALLY liked stacker 832, but cant get one anymore..... can you advise of anything similar in u.k.

Thanks. :p 
a b ) Power supply
October 19, 2010 4:32:23 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!