RAID 10 Rebuild Freezing, Data MIA

crantech

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
The horror, the horror...

Had a drive fail in a 1TB RAID10 (software) array controlled by the nForce 590 chipset and NV Mediashield in an XP Pro environment. To add insult to injury, this happened while I was making an up-to-date backup of the drive. Swapped out the drive for another of the exact same model, rebuild started. At this time the data was still viewable. Left the rebuild to run overnight.

However, the rebuild froze up at 89.09% done, and will not progress from there or give me any kind of cancel or pause option or anything other than Delete Array. The drive letter is still mapped and shows the appropriate size of the array and the amount of space remaining on it, and the Disk Management shows the drive still properly formatted as NTFS. However, when opening the folder, it appears to be empty.

I haven't run chkdsk on it (windows wants to but I cancel that, since it'll delete a lot of pointers). I did install an updated Mediashield in the hopes this would let me restart the rebuild, but it still reads that 89.09%. I haven't done anything else more complicated for fear of screwing up the disks.

Any thoughts on how to get my stuff back?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I would think try the rebuild again, you should be able to take out the drive you recently added in wipe it then rebuild to it again and see if this helps... Chkdsk will more than likely get rid of alot of stuff rather than bring it back.