Sign in with
Your question

System crashing 5-10 minutes in a game please help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 30, 2007 5:44:32 AM

I have 2 2900 xt's 512 mb ddr3 in cf. My system specs are : cpu: q6600, mobo: badaxe2, Ram: 2x1gb pny 8500 ddr2, hd: 1x WD 150 gb raptor, Sound card: creative xfi elite pro, monitor: dell 3007wfp(30 incher with 4 megapixel native resolution) OS: Windows Vista ultimate 64 bit. My problem is about 5-10 minutes in every game my system locks up and either stays locked up or restarts my comp and windows says it was caused by the ati graphics drivers. I have been using 7.7 since it released and have had no problems but out of nowhere yesterday I have been having these problems. And one more thing, I have to enable Alternate DVI Frequency in order to not get tons of artifacts and I have had to do so since 7.5 and I was wondering if that could be hampering my performance because I only get 11000 in 3dmark 06. Thanks for any help
a c 164 U Graphics card
July 30, 2007 6:10:00 AM

You listed every spec except for the one I would care about, the Nuclear reactor you use to power this beast. I'm guessing you are having some sort of heat build up that drops the available power, or is just isn't powerful enough to handle quad core with two 2900s. Low power could also explain the low 06 scores.
July 30, 2007 6:17:52 AM

the psu is in my signature and it is a certified crossfire psu 1kilowatt
Related resources
July 30, 2007 6:18:29 AM

btw i have had the cards since release and had to rma the first one but after that they were working pretty good up until yesterday.
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2007 6:52:25 AM

Have you downloaded the xfire fix for/from windows? What game/app were you running when this happened? Have you added any componants/programs lately? Have you been monitoring your temps?
July 30, 2007 6:56:20 AM

i downloaded the fix and it turned out it was only for dual gpu cards as in the 7950gx2 and the sapphire pro dual it has no effect on 2 separate card solutions, I am running warcraft III, Halo 2, Prey, Medieval II total war, Supreme commander, counter strike, day of defeat, half life 2, basically every game i have does this, I think it might be due to adding ati tool utility or some crap but I cant really confirm this because it ran perfectly when I had it and I didnt even use it for anything and just the next day it really didnt work. Clocks are default so I think temps are good on the cards(they are usually in the mid 90's when under full load but the fan just speeds up a lot faster if it goes over 100 which is has like once or twice). I havent added any components.
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2007 7:05:43 AM

Firstly, 95 to 100 is very hot, and secondly, after reading this, it says LINKED not on the same card, youll want the hotfix, it explains your low scores in 3DMark. Read this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936710
July 30, 2007 7:22:32 AM

i downloaded it already.....ive had it since amdzone put it on their site i called microsoft and everything but nevermind the low scores I want to atleast be able to just play games and get an answer as to why I get mass artifacts when alternate dvi frequency is disabled.
July 30, 2007 8:11:31 AM

chk maybe your vga cards fans has started to show something bad, like maybe its broken. or maybe your psu was a faulty one which lost control after few months, it shouldnt though. try to run the cards individually, one and then another, if they work fine then there is a little doubt on psu. try another psu then. hope i helped.
July 30, 2007 8:30:41 AM

when the system crashes it some times blue screens me and sometimes doesnt and when i reboot windows vista says it was due to ati display drivers.
July 30, 2007 8:43:56 PM

bump
July 30, 2007 8:49:37 PM

could you please format your computer to route any possible software issues and focus on hardware instead?
July 30, 2007 9:27:30 PM

Romstar said:
I have 2 2900 xt's 512 mb ddr3 in cf. My system specs are : cpu: q6600, mobo: badaxe2, Ram: 2x1gb pny 8500 ddr2, hd: 1x WD 150 gb raptor, Sound card: creative xfi elite pro, monitor: dell 3007wfp(30 incher with 4 megapixel native resolution) OS: Windows Vista ultimate 64 bit. My problem is about 5-10 minutes in every game my system locks up and either stays locked up or restarts my comp and windows says it was caused by the ati graphics drivers. I have been using 7.7 since it released and have had no problems but out of nowhere yesterday I have been having these problems. And one more thing, I have to enable Alternate DVI Frequency in order to not get tons of artifacts and I have had to do so since 7.5 and I was wondering if that could be hampering my performance because I only get 11000 in 3dmark 06. Thanks for any help

If your lockups are only relavent when gaming than these are the most likely causes.

1) 1 or both of your video cards are overheating
2) your CPU is overheating
3) your memory is creating errors.

To diagnose, back off any and all Overclocks! If this fixes than your done.
Remove one video card, if this fixes swap cards and try just the other, if this still works than its related to your Xfire bridge or driver.

If error continues, run Memtest from dos boot CD or floppy.

Also run CPU stress test to eliminate the CPU overheating issue like Orthos or Prime.

Those actions will help you narrow down the problem. Guessing, speculation and wishful thinking will not.

!