Sign in with
Your question

Maximum Hard Drive Temperature?

Last response: in Storage
September 10, 2007 1:51:28 PM

I am unable to find what the maximum temperature for My HDD's are I have 3 of them listed as under. I am also putting the temp ranges they are reporting using HDD Life Pro and Speed Fan.
1. Seagate ST3320620AS ( 43 C to 50 C one time it has touched 53 C )
2. Seagate ST3160827AS ( 41 C to 48 C one time it has touched 53 C )
3. Seagate ST3120022A ( 51 C to 55 C one time it has touched 59 C )

Now I am doing what I can to cool them down but opening the cabinet and putting extra fan but these values are without fan.
Where can I find what are the maximum temperatures for these HDD's ?
Ask me if you need to know anything more.

Thanks
a c 140 G Storage
September 10, 2007 9:52:29 PM

Seagate specs almost all there drives @ 60c for a max operating temp.
http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_barra...

So your kind of pushing it my max ever was 49 in my old case.

2 320's and 2 500's the 2x 250's are not showing due to raid.
dont trust my fan speed its 850 :)  or the voltage...

Also note that on some cases the drive runs hotter when open as air just comes from the opening and passes the drives....what case do you have? is there an option for a front fan in front of your drives?
Related resources
September 11, 2007 4:26:41 AM

I have used Speed Fan as mentioned in the post and I don't think there is a problem in readings.
I have a normal atx case and it doesn't have fron fan or enough space for it.
I will check out the list and get back .
September 11, 2007 4:38:24 AM

I have gone through the list of seagate ( Thanks for that ) and have come to a conclusion that the old PATA IDE 120 GB is the one I should worry about as it is nearing the max temp range. The SATA hdd's are fine as long as the temp stay in the high 40's range...
Thanks will get back if I find anything new.
September 11, 2007 4:54:06 AM

nukemaster said:
dont trust my fan speed
Are you sure? I was going to ask you if you rig hovered off the floor. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
September 11, 2007 5:59:31 AM

yeah with 27000 rpm it sure should rise up.........
a c 140 G Storage
September 11, 2007 6:02:00 AM

Should be making ice on the cooler....

EDIT

SF Beta

Soon as they fix the fact that it randomly shows all cores as the temp of core4(core03 when you factor that 0 is 1)

Just ended a game...so video is not actually that hot...no worries till 100 for VGA
a b G Storage
September 11, 2007 6:23:22 AM

czarousa said:
I have used Speed Fan as mentioned in the post and I don't think there is a problem in readings.
I have a normal atx case and it doesn't have fron fan or enough space for it.
I will check out the list and get back .

A shame, my HDD runs under 20C quite often, even on a hot day because it has a fan (and a crap one) pulling air over it. Even low speed fans keep hard drives cool, they just need SOME airflow.
September 11, 2007 9:59:38 AM

Usually 60C is the maximum safe operating temperature for a hard drive (although I haven't checked specifically for these models). So you're sailing quite close to it.
September 11, 2007 12:43:15 PM

I have purchased a cooler master one (it took me a lot of effort in India ) and unfortunately the front of the case is just wide enough for a 10 mm wide 80 mm fan and the fan I got is fatter for the space.
Can somebody also suggest to me a good hadware seller site which ships internationally as I am unable to find good supply here...
Thanks
June 11, 2009 12:30:42 PM

Hi

you should try HDData at www.molenkamp.com

HDData Protects & Saves your Data and your Hard Drives.
HDData is a small program that is always alert in the background of your Window Computer.
HDData measures all kind of Hard Drive parameters. If one of these parameters is exceeding a threshold or sensing an SMART error, HDData will warn you, HDData will Act for you. You can control what actions HDData will execute for you when the Hard Drive Temperature reaches a Warning and/or an SMART Alarm setting. You have still time to save your work before the Hard Drive gets overheated and gets irretrievable broken down. You can act before losing everything!

best regards
Frits

April 13, 2010 3:21:43 AM

I got an infrared thermometer and I get different reading at different points on the hard drive I found some parts at 90 F and one little component I pointed the laser to was 130 F, this was while in one of those toaster things. So were do you measure the temperature? what part of the drive.

Tom j.
a c 415 G Storage
April 13, 2010 1:47:19 PM

Use the temperature values returned in the SMART data for the drive.
!