Celeron over a Dual Core?

remeberbetamax85

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
I'm trying to rebuild my college-era Gateway with a dead Northwood mobo. I decided to salvage the following:

All-in-Wonder 9200 SE (Wal-Mart Edition)
1.5 GB 2700 DDR RAM (1GB + 512 MB)
160 GB IDE HD
Audigy 1 Sound Card
LG DVD-burner (Burns DVD-RAM!)
Floppy Drive (will put it back in its original 1997 AMD K6 home after flashing bios)

I decided to upgrade the mobo/CPU as such:

ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA LGA 775 VIA PT880 Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813157107

Intel Celeron 430 (Conroe-L 1.8Ghz)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116039

I'm planning to use this rebuild/upgrade for my sister primarily as a HTPC or hopeful replacement for her 1.2 Ghz Celeron (I'm not forseeing OCing given the type of RAM).

I also have a Pentium D 820 (2.8 Ghz) lying around from a previous attempt to build my own system (I later decided on a C2D :sol: ).

Before I commit to the final build, is there any advantage/reason to having the Pentium D over the newest Celeron (or vice versa)?

You mean any other reason other than the lowliest ranking Dual Core processor will do roughly 3 times the amount of processing per clock cycle than the fastest Celeron you can buy? I can't think of any other reasons, really.

tirefire

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Gotta agree with the previous poster; even though that Celeron is Core 2 arch, it's single core and very low-clocked. Drop in your Pentium D and enjoy your saved money.

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
To tell you the truth the celeron would be a better HTPC processor.

It's not only performance you have to consider when building a PC, especialy a HTPC. But then again I guess you can always use the money to get a better cooler.
From the mobo I can tell you will put that thing in an ATX case if ti was an mATX I would probably tell you do go with celeron.
When building a HTPC you first consider heat and noise then performance.