I think I messed up big, HELP

io89

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Ya, as the title suggests, I belive I messed up big. I was upgrading my cpu and I was doing it inside the case itself. Being the noob I am, I took the black outrim thing that actually holds the thing that keeps the heatzink in place. ( http://i7.tinypic.com/6gv63vn.jpg ) thats a picture of the motherboard prior to me taking anything out. The outer black thing of the cpu (big fan) is what I accidently took out. The thing is, I can't screw it back in for some reason since the thing below it keeps going lower and won't go in the hole...Well, I have no anti-static bag and more importantly, will taking out the motherboard from case make it easier to fix or no?

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
:??: I have no clue as to what you did or how to fix it.
:non: There are a lot of "thingies" and "doohickeys" in that picture you can mess up if you do not know what you are doing.
It might be easier to take the motherboard out and start over.

BTW, are you blond? If so you will need to find someone that speaks your language so you will understand what to do? :pt1cable:

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Yeah, I don't know exactly what you did, but I'm sure it will be easier to reconnect if you take the mobo out of the case. just put it on some cardboard on the kitchen counter or table. do it on hardwood floors if possible, no static from carpet. Touch the fridge periodically.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

OK, great... You've sent us a pic of a perfectly good, functioning, cpu with what appears to be a nicely mounted HSF.

No disaster here.... Just finish reconnecting everything and you should be good to go. Make sure you run some temp monitoring utility for a while after you finish re-assembling.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
It sounds like a back plate on the under side of the motherboard. When I built my PC (two months ago) I found it much EASYER to attach my HSF with the mobo out of the PC case.

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
You need to remove the motherboard from the case and try to re-attach the part you mistakenly removed. You need to be able to access the underside of the motherboard. Hopefully you will be able to correct the problem or you will need a new motherboard.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
i think systemlord is right judging from my own (somewhat limited) experiences with the backs of the mobo (if it is like mine you will need 2 ppl to get the damn thing back on)

OldGoat

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Yes you did mess up.. I am willing to bet you unscrewed the mounting bracket from the motherboard. You will need to remove your motherboard and reattach the bracket. The heat sink should remove very easily by loosening the clip running through the middle of the heat sink. You know the shiny thing beside the fan that clips to the black thingy around the CPU. (Sorry I could not help myself. It has been a weird day....)

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006

OldGoat, you speek blond very well! :lol:

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007

might as well be a picture from a cell phone,

hey kids don't try this at home until you read all of the guides!

upgrading the Processor, oh fun...

duct tape should fix all your problems!

acer get ready for a phone call!

there is this thing called a book, it's clearly documented in this youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4z8HqOBACU