Sign in with
Your question

8800gts 640MB, COD2, Draw Distance

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 30, 2007 4:04:01 PM

The rig below is up and running, but will be upgraded this week with a q6600 and a 64-bit OS.

1680x1050
eVGA 680i Mainboard
eVGA 8800gts 640MB
Pent D 805 2.6 Dual Core (I OC'd to 3.2 no change)
4GB Patriot LLK
750W PCP&C PSU
32-bit XP Pro SP2 +Dual Core Hotfix

Game:
Call of Duty 2 v1.01 (4xAA 8xAF driver forced) 1680x1050 = 60fps solid

The issue I'm having is that the draw distance seems to be very short. I am unfamiliar with nvidia drivers and have not found a way to change the cards draw distance. I wasnt able to find a game setting either. Shrubs and fences appear or textures change as I walk up at a very close range. It is very distracting...

I did quite a bit of googling but have found nothing that would explain these problems without the system being RAM bottlenecked. The CPU being lacking would be my next logical guess but, with the 3.2 OC (now back at stock) I would think I would notice SOME change.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

a b Î Nvidia
July 30, 2007 9:41:10 PM

Do you have v/sinc enabled as you say you are at 60 fps solid?
I googled a bit and apparently v/sinc is basically a frame buffer so it would follow that it could be limiting your draw distance
Just a thought ,could be way out.
Mactronix
a b Î Nvidia
July 30, 2007 9:59:20 PM

I never saw anything like that. Perhaps you need to update the game. Patches are available for it. Let us know what you find.
Related resources
July 30, 2007 11:51:22 PM

I do have vsync enabled. I tried with and without but there was no improvement.
I also tried updating to 1.3 (latest) with no improvements. I use 1.01 because there are better servers IMO.
If there is anything else to try let me know and I will jump on it.

Thx
August 1, 2007 2:06:47 AM

Thanks for the links guys!

In the first link I ran through the r_lodbias and r_loadscale commands and they didnt seem to work the way the author of that article said they would. I found some other articles that explained it as well. I think he is slightly misinformed, but he did solve a mouse lag issue I was having in addition to the texture problems. In his initial introduction he said some things about it being based on the Q4/D3 engine, which I think is incorrect. I believe its still based on the Q3 engine.

After tweaking with the settings, updating the game, and reading that article, I decided that the game was just giving me some issues and the only way to know would be to install another game. I will do that this evening and test it out.

The second article was interesting, the problem I was having certainly did feel like a driver more than a game setting. The fact that this system is in the middle of an upgrade means it is running off of a IDE HDD still. If that was happening the slow drive wouldnt help.

A 74GB Raptor, Q6600, and 64-bit OS was ordered last night. Hopefully these issues are cured with one of the above hardware upgrades. Too bad if it is fixed I probably wont know which did the trick...
a b Î Nvidia
August 1, 2007 2:38:42 AM

A couple of questions. You're not trying to run above 60hz refresh rate, and 2, did you go into nvidia control panel and set it to run as a tv rather than a "minitor".......... ?

ie: custom resolutions............ think it will tell you you need to download something and "agree" to terms, in order to use it. I'm not in front of the machine with the 8800 right now, so I can't give you the particulars.

advanced section

edit:... I think you have to select the "tdm" ( 3rd one down the list ), and then do a "test" for it to work.
August 1, 2007 9:38:33 AM

Major_Trouble said:
Sorry Toms :whistle:  but this is a pretty good guide for CoD2.

http://www.tweakguides.com/COD2_1.html
No offense here at TOMS, Ive used that link several times to help others. This is a hardware site, just remember. Its a great site
August 1, 2007 9:41:11 AM

swifty_morgan said:
I was scanning the web and saw this...

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=41330

don't think it has anything to do with your problem but you never know.
Totally unrelated, tho it is a serious problem. This problem doesnt hinder draw distance, it actually just slows the game way down. Ive been experiencing this in 1 of my games. :pfff: 
August 3, 2007 6:19:33 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Totally unrelated, tho it is a serious problem. This problem doesnt hinder draw distance, it actually just slows the game way down. Ive been experiencing this in 1 of my games. :pfff: 

Well heres an update:

Updated the forceware driver under XP 32-bit- no change.
Installed the Q6600 - no change.
Installed 74GB Raptor w/ Vista Ultimate 64-bit - no change.

After these changes and nothing, I dont feel that the problem in that link is totally unrelated. The article mentions that issues can vary depending on how the engine handles the textures. I did notice something after reading that article as well. The change in textures at close range causes HDD activity.

I can stand 50 feet away from a crate with AAx4 AFx8.
I move forward to 49 feet away, and theres a drastic change in the texture and a blip of HDD activity.
I back up to 50 feet, a drastic change back to the less detailed texture and another HDD access.
Some items are completely drawn all of a sudden, depending on size of the item and the distance.

I think its the way COD2 and the video driver are getting along. I had a 320MB evga OC'd 8800gts and it did the same thing. I feel the 8800's drivers have an issue and I can only hope that it does get solved sooner than later.

Here are the current system specs with this issue:
eVGA 680i
eVGA 8800GTS 640MB
74GB Raptor
4GB Patriot RAM
750W PSU
Vista Ultimate 64-bit
(no degradation in frames going to Vista BTW)
August 3, 2007 6:48:49 PM

I didn't think that COD 2 even had an option to increase or decrease draw distance (and I don't feel like looking into it now). This game also doesn't have massive distances to draw like an Oblivion type game anyway. Try looking at some screenshots of it online and compare the draw distance to your game. Also, make sure your render option is set to Directx 9 instead of 7.
a b Î Nvidia
August 3, 2007 7:10:52 PM

Keep us informed and let us know if, and how you get it fixed, thanks.
August 3, 2007 7:30:10 PM

When trying to find a solution to the problem I had to describe/explain the problem I was having and "draw distance" seemed to be the best fit. The game does actually render past the items that are changing/appearing. I dont believe it is a true draw distance issue, but I haven't really thought of a better way to phrase the problem which might be why I havent found a solution yet.

What would you call it? Anisotropy would make the most sense to me. With the card at 8x and 16 and no difference however, I ruled it out.

EDIT: Its set for DX9.
a b Î Nvidia
August 3, 2007 7:50:52 PM

Out of curiosity, did you try and make it run at dx7 mode ? I wonder if the problem would happen then ? Also make sure textures ar set at "extra" I think it is. You know where these settings are, right ?
August 4, 2007 5:30:09 AM

have you got the right pair of glasses on :) 
August 4, 2007 8:00:43 AM

The problem you're having is not with anisotropy, but with mipmapping.
August 13, 2007 7:04:38 PM

t_wilson said:
The problem you're having is not with anisotropy, but with mipmapping.

Well I guess all this can be summed up with this:
Nvidia drivers perform poorly.

I didnt want that to be the answer to my problem.
August 13, 2007 7:47:39 PM

Play in dx7, every1 else does!
August 14, 2007 12:28:57 PM

RizzyWho said:
Play in dx7, every1 else does!

Only multiplayer :kaola: 
single player is meant to be played with DX9

also he has a card more than capable of playing just fine in dx9, so why bother with dx7 (appart from the fact that some of the visual distractions vanish, so you get a clear shot at people :whistle:  )

@Op: have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the game? Gimme a screen shot of a multiplayer map where you dont see whatever it is your supposed to see, and take a pic of when it appears and give me that to. I'll have a look on my comp to see if i get the same issue (though im using a ATi card and could have sworn i never saw any such issues with it yet)

If you can use fraps to record a video of it and post that on you tube or something that may make your problem easier to understand for some.
August 14, 2007 1:01:11 PM

I'm running an 8800GTS-640 and I've not noticed this problem
August 16, 2007 10:45:00 PM

Found a fix to your problem. At the menu screen go to options then change your settings to "optimal settings". Then start the game, press esc, then go back to the menu and change your graphic settings to whatever you want it. That should work, I had the same problem as you.
a b Î Nvidia
August 16, 2007 11:50:48 PM

does punk buster not limit your draw distance anyway?
you will get a rude kick if you go past there max setting anyway.

!