Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Possible to run 2 Monitors 1680x1050 thru PCI (non-express)?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • PCI
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Displays
July 30, 2007 4:04:48 PM

Is it possible to run 2 AL2216 Monitors 1680x1050 thru PCI (non-express)? I just found out my Radeon 9200 tops out at 1280x1040 via DVI, so now I'm really dissapointed. Is there anyway to remedy this?

More about : run monitors 1680x1050 pci express

July 30, 2007 4:08:12 PM

HIS Hightech H155F256EDDPLN-R Radeon X1550 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI iFan Low Profile Video Card - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Probably the best PCI card, but you're going to have to ghetto mod it a bit in the back to fit a normal case (This is a low profile card).
July 30, 2007 4:17:41 PM

Crap, plus it needs a 400w power supply. Is it possible to get dual 1680 thru VGA? One using the Sony VAIO's onboard VGA output, and the other using the Radeon's? I'm only using this for CakewalkSonar, no crazy gaming or nothing.
Related resources
July 30, 2007 4:42:00 PM

There's no crazy gaming to be done on that card, the reason that it has such a high price tag is because it's PCI interface, which is a dead interface as far as graphics cards are concerned and hasn't been used for gaming cards for years now. It's incredibly difficult to find a Dual DVI PCI card to be honest with you, and it's not like this is consuming a lot of power either, it draws all the power from the PCI Slot! You should consider yourself lucky that they are even making that product to fulfill your needs at all...

I have the feeling you're going to have a lot of issues trying to configure that one (what you are suggesting), I found however very simple to use dual monitors on modern graphics card.
July 30, 2007 4:58:55 PM

I know, i know. Problem is, I'm stuck with my 03' VAIO that has everything else I need, minus PCI-e Slots. Otherwise, I'd be sittin pretty.
July 30, 2007 5:12:43 PM

Look if you happen to need a better PSU, FSP Group makes very affordable, decent quality units compared to the rest. I've seen an FSP 500W unit for about $65 I believe and a 450W for $55 on newegg.com
July 30, 2007 5:28:17 PM

Oh, trust me. I probably going to be going "barebone" soon. I looked into a PSU before, and since Sony uses propritary stuff, the PSU sits "vertically" as opposed to "horiziontal". So any other power supply would only fit in sideways... So back to square one. I guess I have to figure out the "barebone" stuff soon! Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 30, 2007 5:41:08 PM

Try it without a new PSU, the X1550 is actually much more efficient than it sounds. The 400W recommendation is to cover crap PSUs, you're likely OK with the standard PSU as long as you don't have a ton of other things working in there. But if you ave 3 Raptor HDDs and a bunch of fans and such you may be pushing it. But it's worth trying first. I suspect like the DELL PSUs, that SONY one is more robust than it's portrayed.
July 30, 2007 6:02:43 PM

emp said:
There's no crazy gaming to be done on that card, the reason that it has such a high price tag is because it's PCI interface, which is a dead interface as far as graphics cards are concerned and hasn't been used for gaming cards for years now. It's incredibly difficult to find a Dual DVI PCI card to be honest with you, and it's not like this is consuming a lot of power either, it draws all the power from the PCI Slot! You should consider yourself lucky that they are even making that product to fulfill your needs at all...

I have the feeling you're going to have a lot of issues trying to configure that one (what you are suggesting), I found however very simple to use dual monitors on modern graphics card.

Not at all.

i put one in a couple of machines not too long ago, it's quite easy to find actually. just go to newegg, and do a search for pci graphics. you'll find them under 70 dollars usually.

my current setuip is one agp card and one pci card, i have three monitors running but could have four if i had the deskspace.

they aren't going to be great for GAMING, but you can't be a choser with that board.
July 30, 2007 6:13:41 PM

well if you need DVI then take the Radeon X1550
but if you only need vga out then the GeForce FX 5200 is good.

if your monitors support DVI i would recomend the Radeon X1550
you will get a crisper video with DVI
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 30, 2007 6:25:12 PM

valis said:
Not at all.

i put one in a couple of machines not too long ago, it's quite easy to find actually. just go to newegg, and do a search for pci graphics. you'll find them under 70 dollars usually.

I wouldn't bother with an FX series, the FX5200 has questionable RAMDAC and even TMDS quality. I'd say stick with a GF6200 or X300 as a minimum. But as was mentioned, for dual DVI support get the X1550, guaranteed to be at least one dual-link DVI, and possibly 2, and the quality of the RAMDACs & TMDSs is greatly improved over that FX or the R9200.
a c 151 U Graphics card
a c 113 C Monitor
July 30, 2007 6:25:42 PM

400 watts hahaha...funny my Q6600(@ 2.93) + 8800GTX 612-core 1400-shaders 900-stock ram + 6 drives + 5 fans + TV card and sb audigy 2 takes less than that :p  and thats @ the plug not the DC side of things

I used to run dualies(not @ your rez, but without games you dont need much power) with onboard(AGP) and a TNT2(PCI) so it can be done.

Just get the cheapest pci dual VGA(or DVI you can). there used to be pci geforce4 mx's that had dual vga and no tv for CHEAP!!!

Also note some boards turn off onboard video when u connect another one....another advantage to 1 card with both.

Also when you play video's with any kind of dual view ATI cards seem to get a small lag spike to fix up for full screen video and hardware overlays so this may happen and is NOT a psu issue. Best bet is to install drivers only and no cat control center.

Hope this helps some.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 30, 2007 6:39:43 PM

I wouldn't trust the GF4's slow mediocre RAMDACs to power monitors @ 16x10 with 32bit colour depth.

Worth spending the extramoney for a GF6200 or X300.