(which kind of gfx cards) want to run 4 monitors...

Blown_65

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Hey guys... my (fast and furious) cousin wants me to build him a mini pc (all components from newegg) to put in his glove box in his car. He wants it to run maybe 4 monitors if possible... I know with a mini pc I'm stuck with either on-board graphics or a low-profile card... Is it possible to run more than one monitor at a time with this setup, much less 4? I know my 7600GT has 2 DVI's and 1 S-video and I can only get 2 monitors at the same time... but that was my first shot at running more than 1 monitor... Would D-sub/DVI splitters work? (1 output to 2 or more outputs?) All he wants is for the monitors to dispaly DVD movies at the same time for shows and stuff. Any help? Thanks!!

DVI to D-sub splitter would not work, but if your card supports dual-link DVI and signal separation, then some dual dual-link DVI card could use a splitter dongle to give you 4 single-link DVIs. These cards have speciallized connectors and dongles thoush like DMS59 and VHDCI connectors. There are some low end (but expensive) GF6 and X1K series cards that can support 2/4 monitors this way, but they are about as expensive as the professional solutions like the Matrox, and ATi MireMV, Colorgraphic Xentera, and nV Quadro solutions.

Probably the Cheapest and easiet solution would be the Gemini style cards wit 2 VPUs and 4 outputs. They are suposed to be out shortly, and should be about the $200-250 mark.

If you can find one of the dedicated solutions for cheap the that would work, but if you've got the space try for 2 sinbgles card, that would be the cheapest way, especially for stuff like that that doesn't need heavy duty output.
BTW, you can find some small boards (not sure mini/micro) tyhat have integrated DVI+VGA/Video giving you 2 outputs from there, and then you can add the card to some of them and not have to disable the onboard graphics.

doghills

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I personally would suggest getting a pci card along with the main video card and you would be able to run more than 2. Here's a link to a topic talking about the same sort of thing... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/243968-33-possible-monitors-1680x1050-express

Another solution, if your cousin is willing to take step down in cpu power would be getting a socket 939 mATX board. I saw one that had SLI and was mATX. I forget the name of it, but I know it was out there. (and newegg at one point carried it.)

Those still support just 2 monitors + VideoOut. Although if you can get the Svideo out to work in conjunction with the other connectors, then you could add it to the mobo if it allows you to keep the intergrated output.