Widescreen output from VGA to a 1024x768 HDTV ?

Dapsone

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2005
Hello:

Background:
I have a Vizio VP42 HDTV, which well, isn't exactly "HDTV" as the native resolution is 1024x768.

I have my PC plugged into the VGA to this television from an ATI Radeon X850 graphics card and I am using the latest version of ATI Catalyst Control Center and I am using Windows Vista Ultimate edition.

My problem is, that I am not getting any settings on my PC to output to any resolution that is not in a 4:3 proportion, which forces me to stretch the desktop to fit the screen on the HDTV. I think I want something like 1280x768 (or is it 1280x800 ?), but looking into every setting I can find in CCC or Vista, it's all various 4:3 resolutions.

Any ideas how I might be able to fix this?

Of note, I have an Xbox 360 plugged into the same HDTV via HDMI and it seems to automatically output to a widescreen format. Idunno, just tells me that this TV is at least able to take a widescreen proprortioned display.

Thanks!

Your monitor is 4:3 1024x768, supports 1024x768 and 800x600, why are you trying to force resolutions is doesn't support? The ideal resolution is 10x7, why not use it?
You need to adjust your Plasma to interpolate the PC picture, that's what it's doing with your X360 if you want it to look differently than it does.

Native Panel Resolution: 1024 x 768

Supported PC Resolutions
1024 x 768, 800 x 600

Specification
Panel Type: 42" Diagonal*, 16:9 Wide Screen, Plasma Panel
Panel Specifications:
Pixel/Dot Pitch: 0.9 (H) mm x 0.676 mm (V)
Display Compatibility: 1024 x 768 pixels

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002

Since your connecting your Xbox through the HDMI your TV is telling it the proper resolution to use.

Dapsone

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2005

I probably should have mentioned that I have been using 1024x768 from the PC.

The reason is that the TV then has to either (1) leave the big black bars on either side of the picture in order to display in the proper proportion, or (2) I have to stretch the screen to fit, which distorts the picture. This is fine for some purposes, but for some others it is bugging me. This isn't my main PC, I can tolerate a little loss in quality if I need to display at a non-native resolution. (I think)

I don't quite think this is what is happening, because for the X360, in wide screen, the proportion of the entire screen is appropriate (to my eye), and I can also tell that when I set the TV to the "normal" mode, the picture is all scrunched up, which sorta confirms that to me (sorry I'm no expert).

Ahh.. I see. I read some things just now on HDMI and see what you are talking about. Thanks.

-----------------------

Thanks for the comments! Any info, I'd appreciate. I'm probably being stupid about this, but I just like to figure things out and try damn hard to make things work in a way that I want with limited resources.

erloas

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
Reading the manual for the TV is says its native resolution is 1024x768. Which is 4:3 That is what you are saying your PC is outputing.

So if the PC is outputting what the TV is set to natively, then there shouldn't be any problems at all.

However... I guess reading the description a bit more it says it is 16:9 resoluation too, which it should be to support 720x/1080x.

Reading in the manual it says for best results with the PC set it to output 1366x768 @60Hz. So obviously the TV accepts the other resolutions.
Check your monitor drivers, which seems wierd, but windows uses default drivers for displays and will limit your resolution to ones your monitor will support. If the TV isn't reporting correctly on the VGA the PC might think its a standard 4:3 display and only give you those choices.
There is usually an option you can change that says "show only modes this display accepts" just find that and unselect it. It is usually under properties->settings->advantaced->monitor
Although it may have moved with Vista, I haven't had a chance to use Vista to see. The option may or may not be in the ATI portion of the video drivers (I'll check when I get home)

Dapsone

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2005

Perfect! that's exactly what I was looking for. And, 1366x768 @60Hz looks fine :)

Thanks!

EDIT: In the Monitor Properties of CCC, you can turn off EDID and choose the maximum resolution, which I can choose then 1366x768. Looks as I was intending. Thanks

BM7718

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Hi, I was wondering if somebody could help me, ever since I bought my crappy 7950 gx2 last year, it has stopped me from using my pc the way I like to use it, one of the many things is, I cannot watch an hdtv avi file on my pc and tv at the same time in full screen mode, well I can, but on the monitor it looks just right BUT on my tv(capable of 1024X768 max res) the image is a 16:9 image squished to fit all in a 4:3 image. On my old 6600 gt and gefore Mx440, I could simply launch a video and both images on the monitor and tv would be perfect with no tweaking what's so ever. I'd greatly appreciate the any help on making this work the way it used to. Thanks

TRENDING THREADS