EVGA 7950gt RMAing

alex_ng

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Hi! first of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to read my post. Now with that out of the way here's my situation: okay, i bought an EVGA 7950gt 256mb version a few months ago on sale. One day i heard a "clink" in my case, so i turned off my pc and opened the case. i saw a capacitator lieing on the bottom of the case and later looked up the photo of my vid card and saw it was from the card. You cand tell that the capacitator was not knocked off by force because the little aluminum wires are still attaced, i just need it to be soldered on. so when i RMA the card to EVGA,

1) Do i need the orginal box with the card because I cut the box for the mail in rebate and threw the rest of the box away. how should i package it?

2) do you think they replace the card or just solder it?if they replace the card what would i get?

3) how long would the down time be?

Thank you, cheers!

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007

1.) I just had to send a card to eVGA a few weeks ago. They just want the card in an antistatic bag and packed well. You don't need the original box or anything else but the card. They will send you these instructions when your RMA is approved.

2.) My replacement card was a new one of the same model.

3.) The down time for me was pretty reasonable; they shipped the replacement card one day after receiving the defective card.

Cheers

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
That and also it helps if you registered your card on their website (Please tell me you did). Because otherwise it only has a 1 year warranty. And seriously you should have incase you didn't, because they can't stress it enough outside the box :p

alex_ng

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
yea i regiestered the card. i went on their website and they say damage to pcb dosent apply for the warranty. does a capacitator tat fell count as damage to pcb?

alex_ng

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
i don't have the resources to solder it back, if i had a iron solder i would. But EMP is also rite. it will void the warranty even if it's an EVGA warranty.

alex_ng

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Do you even think they have 7950gt's left in their inventory's? Because i read about a few guy's on the EVGA forums who got a 8800gts for their 7900gto's.

A soldering iron would most likely cost the same or less than the postage to RMA the card, So I hope you enjoy the time without a graphic card.

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007

Your answer is simple:

Fill out the RMA form on eVGA's website, detailing the capacitor falling off and that it was not your fault or your actions that caused this to happen.

They will either accept or deny the RMA and send you an email with this information. If they accept it, let them fix it under warranty. If they deny it, soldering iron.

-G

alex_ng

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
sorry mousemonkey i have no idea where you get one of those in canada, the closest thing i hav is a glue gun from the dollar store.

alex_ng

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
thank you mouse monkey i'll look into that. but if they did accept my rma, when should i send it because if i send it later there's a greater chance of lower supply of 7 series and a greater chance of me getting an 8 series