Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area during XP Pro installation

lex89

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Hi everyone! Thanks in advance for reading and trying to help me out. This problem is very frustrating. I'll start off with my specs:

DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D Motherboard
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
2x 1 gig OCZ DDR El Platinum
BFG Geforce 7800gtx (factory OC)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
WD Raptor 74gig (OS drive)
2 other internal storage hard drives
OCZ 600W Powerstream

I had XP Pro installed and running fine and decided I wanted to upgrade to Windows 7. I copied everything I wanted to save onto my 2 storage drives and did a format/install of Windows 7 Ultimate. I had no bugs, but I quickly found out that I couldn't use all three of my monitors (one of them is connected via PCI AGP card--you can't do that with 7), and my sound card is incompatible with Windows 7. So I decided to go back to XP.

The first part of the install goes fine-- The drive formats (I've tried both quick and non-quick formatting) and the setup files copy without a hitch. Computer restarts and the setup continues up to about 2/3 into "Installing Drivers" and I get the page_fault_in_nonpaged_area BSOD. I tried using each memory stick separately and I get the same error. I used memtest and found no errors in the memory. I've tried disabling CPU internal and external Cache and lowering memory timings. Nothing works! Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

lex89

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Just tried creating 2 partitions on the hard drive. The first is 20 gigs and the second fits the rest of the drive. I did this assuming the problem is hard-drive related-- The first 20gig partition serves to skip the damaged sectors and the OS can be installed in the rest of the drive.

Unfortunately that didn't work.