fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
You didn't say alot about what kind of activities you want to do... But if it's gaming... that PSU will not be sufficient, it may be 550W, but It's also a Rosewill... I 100% suggest getting a heartier PSU, especially if you plan on having a nice video card, or OC.. I got places to be at the moment, so I will leave good suggestions to other smart people in the forums. good luck!

EDIT: The Case is great, a tat loud with a beast video card. But great cooling...

potatosandwitch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
So that 450 would be better than the rosewill 550?
I'm not saying this because I don't believe you or anything. Just I'm a noob for PSU's so I want to be sure.

Yup. Fortron is a tier 2 brand (i.e good) while Rosewill is a tier 5 (i.e. run away, don't stop to pack).

I strongly recommend you decide now if you will upgrade the GPU, and to what, and only then pick the PSU. For example the 8800 GTS will work with that Fortron, but it will be rather close to the limits, especially if you add more disks. Maybe a Corsair 520W, I don't know... If you want an 8800 GTX then something like the Corsair or Seasonic 600W PSUs would be OK.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I suggest you go and do your homework in regards to powersupplies and thier importance. Since you were asking about that roswill yea I am going to assume you have no idea how much power you will need. I suggest finding a site that calculates your power requirements and enter your intended rig.

I cant even begin to count how many times someone in your situation has said "Icant afford a good power supply" when the truth you need to know, and I mean you need to know this! " you cannot afford to buy a cheap crappy power supply" It can end up being the bane of your computers existance .....and even though I HAVE seen high end power blow and take every single card and board with it, it is rare. On the other hand I have heard ton and tons of stories of CHEAP power doing that very thing.

What happens time and time again is people with lame power start having "issues" and they end up suspecting everything BUT the power. They end up RMA'ing in 4 different components and waste 2 months before they even start suspect the power.

I personally wouldnt consider a E6750 and a DX10 vid card to be middle of the road. That sounds like a pretty bitchen system. Not a Lamborghini but definately a muscle car. You dont want to put a 4 cylinder in your muscle car do you? Nope, you definately want a V8 power block

My recomendation:

Buy the next tier or two lower CPU to save money.
Maybe think about holding of on a DX10 vid card(no games for it now anyways)
But somehow get another $100 into your pwr fund. Then just overclock your CPU. And then if you did have issues you can be fairly certain its not from lack of clean power.
And again spend the next 2-3 days reading about power and power supplies. You wont regret it.

Here's a list that may help. Sorry I forgot where I got it, I had it saved as htm on my disk.

WHICH ONES TO BUY ??

Tier 1 can handle 4Ghz Conroe or 3Ghz AMD along with Oced Quad Crossfire/SLI With Ease.
Tier Z offers quality and power unequalled in its wattage range and is second only to other Zippy units.
Tier 2 offers almost as much power and stability as Tier 1 at Comparable Wattage levels with lower price/better availability.
Tier T offers the high quality components of Tier 2 with slightly less Rail stability due to Topower internals.
Tier 3 is ONLY Recommended if Price difference is present between Tier 3 and Tier 2 or due to availability issues with Tier 1/2 PSUs.
Tier 4 is recommended for stock or low power systems if Tier 3's are more expensive or are not available.
Tier 5 are NOT RECOMMENDED, but some brands have high/medium quality components in Tiers 2 through 4.

-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----

Tier 1 Brands - The Most Powerful And Stable Components On The Market
Enermax Galaxy
PCP&C TurboCool
PCP&C Silencer >610
Zippy/Emacs SSL
Zippy/Emacs GSM
Zippy/Emacs PSL
Silverstone ZF (Etasis 85/75/56)
Seventeam ST >600 (SSI, V2.91)
Silverstone OP/DA >700W

Tier Z - Less Powerful Than Tier 1 Zippy Units...but they're still Zippys
Zippy/Emacs HG2
Zippy/Emacs HP2

Tier 2 Brands - Top Quality components With Top Notch Stability - For Those With Price/Availability Issues With Tier 1
Antec Neo HE
Akasa PowerGreen 80+
CoolMax CTG-750W/850W/1KW
Cooltek CT
Corsair HX
Enermax Liberty
Enermax Infiniti
Enhance ENP-GH
Fortron (FSP) GLN
Hiper Type-M >650W
Hiper Type-R >650W
iStarUSA PD2
iStarUSA PD3
OCZ GameXStream
OCZ EvoStream
PCP&C Silencer <610
Seasonic S12
Seasonic M12
Seasonic Energy Plus
SevenTeam ST <600
Silverstone EF
Silverstone OP/DA <700W
Supermicro/AbleCom
Thermaltake Toughpower >600W
Xclio GreatPower
Zalman ZM
Ultra X3
Ultra X-Pro

Tier T - High Quality PSUs Made With Topower Internals - Less Rail Stability Compared To Tier 2 But Still Better than Tier 3
Mushkin Enhanced
Tagan U95
Tagan U25
Tagan U15
Tagan U22
OCZ PowerStream

Tier 3 Brands - High Quality and Stability, Second Only To Tier 2 Brands
Acbel Polycom
AMS Mercury
Akasa PaxPower
Akasa PowerPlus (>500W Models)
Antec Phantom
Antec TruePower III
Antec True Power II
Antec True Control II
Antec Neopower 480W (Old Model)
Antec Smart Power 2.0
Athena Power Space Shuttle Series
Be Quiet Dark Power Pro
Channel Well
Enermax Maximum Plus
Enermax Noistaker II
Enermax Noisetaker
Enermax Whisper II
Enermax CoolerGiant
Enhance ENS-G
Epower Xscale
Fortron (FSP) GLC
Fortron (FSP) THN
Fortron AX
Fortron HLN
Fortron PFN/PN/PA
Seasonic Super Versatile
Silverstone F
Sparkle FSP
Spire Rocketeer V/VI
Sunbeam Nuuo
Thermaltake Purepower
Thermaltake Toughpower <600W

Tier 4 - Not Recommend With Tier 3 In same Price/Wattage Range
Aerocool
Asus Atlas
BFG
Coolermaster Real Power
Coolermaster iGreen
Delta
Enlight
E-Power
Futurepower
Hiper
HIPRO
Lite-On
Masscool
M GE XG
Mushkin HP
NorthQ 4775-500S/BU
OCZ Modstream
Scythe Kamariki
Sintek
Thermaltake TR2
TTGI/Superflower
Ultra Xfinity/X2

Tier 5 - Other than the units listed above for any of these brands, NOT RECOMMENDED
A-TOP Technology
APEX (SUPERCASE/ALLIED)
Aspire(Turbo Case)
ATADC
Athena Power
ATRIX
Broadway Com Corp
Cooler Master
Coolmax
Deer
Diablotek
Dynapower USA
EagleTech
FOXCONN
I-Star Computer Co. Ltd
In Win
JPAC COMPUTER
Just PC
Kingwin Inc.
Linkworld Electronics
Logisys Computer
MGE
MSI
NMEDIAPC
Norwood Micro/ CompUSA
NorthQ
NZXT
Powmax
Q-Tec
Raidmax
Rosewill
SFC
Shuttle
Skyhawk
Spire Coolers
Star Micro
STARTECH
TOPOWER TOP
Ultra X-Connect
Wintech
XClio
XION
YoungYear
Zebronics

-----x-----x-----x----- x-----x-----x-----x-----

Phase III compensates for overcrowded Tier 1, while clumping together previously Tier 2 and 3 PSUs if only because no definite way to categorize then as good enough for Tier 2 or bad enough for Tier 3.

The list above groups the PSUs by reliability.

If you want a quiet PSU you have to disqualify Enermax even if it's a tier 1. Seasonic, OCZ GameXStream, Thermaltake ToughPower, PC P&C Silencer are all pretty quiet AFAIK.

Kordoyn

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
I've mentioned this before, I'd never build any sort of performance system without a PC Power or Seasonic PSU.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
The thing I dont like about Seasonic is they only have 18amps on the 12v rails. I consider that minimum power nowadays. But My Seasonic S12 600W has never failed me.