How many people does it take to install RAM?

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
In the thread about having fun by beating a system builders price, it came up that for the majority of computer users, its wise that they spend the extra $200 having the support provided by a manufacturer because most people simply cannot work on a computer themselves.

Whats strikes me odd though is that building and understanding a computer is relatively simple. Take me for instance. I'm not a chemist, or an computer science major. I have zero understanding of how the processor communicates with the thingamabobs that do stuff inside the computer. I hardly even quite understand what makes a SATA link so fast. In fact, do I even know what SATA means? I think so: Serial ATA. What the hell ATA is, I dont know.

But I can still build a computer and maintain it! Most people who work on their own cars or are mechanics in the field have little understanding of the physics behind how a car works, but they can still change the oil, install spark plugs, fill anti freeze, etc. My point is, that even if Im not a genius, a computer is actually fairly simple to build. And in todays world, all you really need to know is how to turn a screwdriver, and use your fingers.

Installing a processor? Just put it in so that it matches the diagram in the booklet, and you are good. RAM? Do I even have to say to line up the RAM with the slot and press down firmly but evenly? Graphics Card? pop out the old one and press the other one in. Hard drive? Unscrew it from the case, unattach the cable, and then put the cable to the new drive and screw the new drive in to place.

Now I know that there are people who would say "where into place" when I talk about the harddrive. But really, how can those people exist I wonder, and how can anyone of moderate intelligence not be able to read a hardware guide like whats on Toms and do it themselves? Or just look at this forum community: a wonderful place to learn things.

And some people I know will need help with software: not being a software person myself sometimes I run into that. Well, just load up on high quality anti virus, run spybot everyday, and you are good. Mess your harddrive up on P2P programs? Harddrives are as low as $45 for 160 gigabytes, and if you have a retail version of your OS, just wipe out the harddrive. Its literally just button clicking and pressing, nothing is required in terms of intelligence.

I've read about people in tribal regions of Africa who can build a computer. And that has nothing against people living in tribal areas, but it speaks volumes when someone who has never gone to high school (no high school to go to) and may of lived close to starvation most their life can install RAM, and a soccer mom who went to college only to end up carrying the kids of some loser cannot.

Favorite horror story: "Allen, my computer is sparking right after I put in a memory chip. Is that supposed to happen? Umm it looks like it may have some fire on it now"

My response: "NO THATS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN, WHY THE HELL WOULD IT? TURN IT OFF!"

Anyone else here ever feel that being of mediocre intelligence makes you smarter than half the world?

I'm guessing that you didn't start building computers until after the advent of PnP (plug-n-play). The older ISA cards had dip switches on them for memory and IRQ. Getting them to play nice wasn't always easy.

With older Thomas-Conrad ArcNet cards, you even had to build the IPX driver (Netware using IPX/SPX) using utils that came with the card. Every time you changed a memory address or IRQ you had to rebuild the driver.

As for the OS, do you remember having to try and load all you device drivers in high memory just so you could actually run your favorite app?

Things are definately much simpler today.

rogerdandy

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
"Anyone else here ever feel that being of mediocre intelligence makes you smarter than half the world?"

That's exactly what the statement means.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

Hell yeah! Stupid Falcon 3.0... who has 602 kb of free conventional memory?!?

mford66215

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
SHHHHH!!!

Your not supposed to let my bosses know that what I do isn't VERY complicated and intricate. THEY are supposed to think that the detailed knowlege I have acquired over my work life = high pay scale.

If you mess that up we're gonna have to give you a good talking to!!

theboomboomcars

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006

If your mechanic doesn't understand the physics behind how the car works, find a new one. I don't mean know the formulas to figure everything out. But they need to understand what is going on or they can't diagnose the problems your car is having.

mford66215

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
FYI - Arcnet is in use today by many of the ISP's delivering cable modem signal. If you'll look closely at the cabling being installed, it's RG62 (arcnet) instead of RG58 (ethernet).

azmtbkr81

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I think you are right about the assembly part of the equation, it really is surprisingly simple but I think you are leaving out 2 critical elements:

A) Many people, and I won't call them stupid, just non-mechanically inclined, don't know, don't care to know, and struggle to grasp the basics of how things work. They don't know how their car engine works, they don't know how a television works, and they certainly don't know how a computer works. Furthermore they lack the mental aptitude and natural curiosity to find out. These are the same people who won't shop at Ikea because they are afraid of having to assemble the furniture and hire someone to plug in their keyboard, mouse and monitor when they buy a new comptuer. If you give a car mechanic, a doctor, hell an 8 year old kid who plays with Legos a box of parts and instruction they'll probably give you back a whole computer. What they won't understand without knowledge and study is how to pick out high value, compatible parts which leads me to my next point.

B) It takes a lot of knowledge to pick out a motherboard, CPU, memory, video card, and OS (thanks to Vista) that will play nice together. I know MCSEs and CCNPs who couldn't tell you if a Core 2 Duo CPU needs DDR or DDR 2 ram. Try explaining to Joe user that his shiny new computer with a 1.86GHz E6300 is a "faster" computer than the 3GHz Pentium 4 you just replaced, trust me it is a tough sell, his eyes will start glazing over as soon as you mention 2 cores and parallel processing. You're average person just doesn't get it.

Most people on this board can spout off the pros and cons of different motherboard chipsets, video card cores, and memory timings with ease. If you want to build a reliable, high value computer you must have this knowledge which most normal people would considered obscure minutia. Building a new computer is 80% picking the correct parts which is why it is still a fairly exclusive club.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
I buy prebuilt computers. My business is running 100+ PC's so I do have a little experince in buying computers (Ok, I am not huge, but I also know that I don't want to make 100 new computers).

Do I add RAM at a later date, or replace a video card or whatever? Sure I have done that..... to my personal computer. But upgrading an office computer that I have kept in use for 4-5 years old just does not make much sense, and having to upgrade a computer when I receive it does not much sense either. Oh, and I am sure as hell will NOT touch a computer that belongs to my sister..... I might break the valuable 3" of crusty dust that is covering her case.

That said, look what a prebuilt computer can get ya.....

HP has a prebuilt computer for the home buyers on their website:

model: d4990y Price $899.99

Vista Premium

Intel E6420

1GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x512)

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS

320GB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive

LightScribe 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive

15-in-1 memory card reader

Norton Internet Security(TM) 2007 - 15 Months

Microsoft(R) Works 8.0

HP keyboard and HP scroller mouse

350w power supply.

Warranty and Support:
Convenient in-home service± if needed
One year of hardware parts and labor coverage
One year of award-winning, toll-free, 24 x 7 support
E-mail response in as little time as an hour

+ Free Shipping

Now, try to beat the price. Start from scratch, as in having nothing, no reusing parts or keyboards or anything from the old computer or any bootleg or upgrade versions of software. And no substituting parts unless your substitution is an upgrade of the same brand as the original offering.

I suspect your totals will be over $1000. And that ain't counting your time and effort.

And for $899 the HP is going to kick the butt of most computers more than 1 year old. If somebody was upgrading their ancient wreak of a 'puter with these same components (CPU, GPU etc), most Tom's readers would tell them that they had done a good job picking out economical, reasonable (or even high) performing parts.

The real problem with the prebuilt computers is not the price of the computer, rather it is the cost of the add-on's. In many cases the upgrade is sold for full retail price with NO credit for the part that was removed (not used). In some cases the upgrades are for much more than full retail.

nazaretian

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Id say 3 quarters of the boyish clientele here at THG probably never set a dip switch in their life.
I am happy? to say that I have set dip switches before. I am on a robotics team and we have to set our team number using dip switches using binary.

For the main topic, I only need one person to install my RAM :D. I am pretty comfortable messing with the guts of a computer. I get nervous inside them hoping I don't break off a capacitor or something, but I never have. I am not the type that is very careful inside a computer. I never wear the static bracelets and I do some of my own customizations like adding fans to things that don't really need it in my poor 4 year old rig. I run my desktop as a game server and it hasn't died in the 7 months that I have been running it. But basically, I'm not afraid to do my own work, and I'd rather do my own work rather than having a "professional" do it. I had one come out to replace the motherboard (due to my IEE1394 port breaking) in my laptop because I would void the warranty, and he didn't fully seat my processor. I called Dell and they allowed me to take it apart. I never had any instructions and I fixed it within 20 minutes.

nitrous9200

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007

Me too! :)

And about "dip switches", sorry but I was only a little kid when that stuff was around. I started growing up at a good time, I guess.

Archavious

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I can beat it

http://tinyurl.com/26zxeu
plus

Mandrake, Slackware, Ubuntu, or what ever floats your boat

Open office ( better than MS Works)

AVG Free anti virus (gives you > 15 month protection)

about $25 shipping

Subtotal of $635

$899 - $635 = $264 * 100 computers = $26,400 for an on site IT (entry) to not only fix those computers but help all your idiot employees with their questions.

If you don't want to get more than 1 then you just saved $264. Now with that $264 you can hire a tech for all your problems and to even assemble it if you don't want to do it yourself.

If you want you can get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009100 for $159 a nice 19' flatscreen

nitrous9200

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007

StevieD, read it and weep: (even includes 19" widescreen and speakers, kb and mouse)
http://tinyurl.com/334zrf

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004

Wrong, wrong, wrong. No substitions. MS Vista Premium. MS Works. Norton AV. This is not a debate of which OS, or AV or software is better or cheaper, it is a debate of whether you can build an INDENTICAL system for less $. This is a straight up comparision of apples to apples, oranges to oranges.

No substitions. No AMD on the HP build. Try again.

PS: $26.400 per your estimate for an onsite tech? Ouch, talk about an insulting wage. My receptionist and the janitor make $22,500.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004

Try again. NO substitions. You have an OEM MS Vista. OEM's are for system builders, which is fair enough as you are building the system. But remember you must provide support (as did HP in their warranty) for the OS. That means only a retail MS Vista would be acceptable (as MS would provide the support as part of the product price).

By the way, you missed the MS Works, Norton AV and of course shipping and support.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
no you really should know what your doing.
computers aren't really toys.

with the market there are so many choices to parts, if your going to even start throwing a computer together you should look at someone else's tested & working "SAFE BUILD" no bleeding edge stuff, no fresh of the assembly line with alpha drivers / BIOS.

Installing a processor? Just put it in so that it matches the diagram in the booklet, and you are good. RAM? Do I even have to say to line up the RAM with the slot and press down firmly but evenly? Graphics Card? pop out the old one and press the other one in. Hard drive? Unscrew it from the case, unattach the cable, and then put the cable to the new drive and screw the new drive in to place.

Simplifying it up like that tends to lead to the whole "reinstall windows" kind of scenario to fixing computers.