Sign in with
Your question

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 31, 2007 2:29:18 AM

Anyone know anything about the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator? Does it compare to any video card and if so, what card would be an approximate comparison? I'm seeing some Quad core, 3-GB-of-ram machines for $800, but warranty is voided if you add a graphics card or video card. They say the on-boards are excellent, but I'm skeptical. Thanks.
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 115 å Intel
July 31, 2007 3:56:23 AM

On board graphics sux, period. Unless you don't care about gaming. The GMA ranks below the nVidia GeForce 6100.

Who's telling you that adding a video card will void the warranty? Whoever they are, their business license should be voided.
July 31, 2007 3:59:42 AM

Maybe an ATI 9200 or nvidia 6200/5200 depend it's GMA 950 or GMA 3000/X3000/3100. Currently all of them don't have hardware vertex shader support so all of them can't run games that specific check for that (so they are worse in that aspect compare to the real cards I listed above). Intel will release a newer driver that support HW vertex shader on GMA X3000 (965G) and G35, but there's a news on digitimes states even with that they still won't work well with some games. They're good enough to do other things beside gaming though IMO.

EDIT: You can use 3DAnalyze to trick any game that wants HW vertex shader to run but whether the game run good or not is up to heaven.
Related resources
July 31, 2007 4:13:03 AM

Well I once was addicted to Call of Duty 2 (which is one the game that DOESN'T work), but this PC is primarily for video editing....
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 115 å Intel
July 31, 2007 4:32:57 AM

For video editing any solution will work. If you are adding transitions and particles effects for fading then certain effects will utilize the video card. In those cases a dedicated video card can help with the effects, but other than that you will not see any performance improvements.
September 2, 2008 3:58:44 AM

Great, I just ordered a DELL Inspiron 530 Intel Core2 processor Q6600 (2.40Ghz 1066FSB) w/Quad Core Technology and 8MB cache. I decided to go with the on-board Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100. I do a lot of video editing from my camcorder to burn movies, etc, but other than that I dont play any games.

Can anybody tell me if there will be an advantage to getting a good PCIx card if I am going to use the Adobe Premiere Pro?
!