DP35DP and stock Intel Q6600 fan....

roguewarrior

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
Please help. I have put together many machines but this one has me perplexed. I have an Intel board DP35DP and an Intel processor and stock fan. I have zero interest in OC (anyway the board does not allow for that being Intel's). But no matter how hard I try the fan does not seem to sit well within the holes. There may be a capacitor in the way - but I am not sure. Is anyone else having this issue. I am new to this board. I searched for Dp35DP and found nothing - so I am asking it in a new thread.

Please help - the fan sounds like a helicopter when I watch mpeg2 content.

Thanks!

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006

Here is the Intel support site for the DP (Dragontail Peak) motherboard.

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dp35dp/

roguewarrior

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
Thanks for the info. I have been there and downloaded all the latest drivers and such. What I am facing though is the fact that I think the fan is not well seated on the CPU - hence the need for the fan to work overtime and sound like a helicopter :).

I was wondering if someone has the DP35DP and if so - have they used the stock Intel CPU fan? Wanted to know if they had as many issues as I did installing the thing and getting it to seat well. I have a Q6600 CPU - but I think the fan is the same for all the retail Intel CPU.

Any help would be really appreciated!

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Best way to install the Heatsink Fan. Have the board out of the chassis. make sure the black pins are pulled up and twisted in the right direction. Ensure that the pins line up with the holes. Best to have the board on solid foam or cardboard. Simultanously press diagonally stakes down into the board. You will hear to clicks and it does take some force. Then repeat with the other two stakes.

Next flip the board and check that the black post are all the way through the board along with both translucent stakes.

After you power the board you should see about 35 to 38 celcius at the destop at idle. If you see a high temp over 50 then you still are not fully seated. If the processor is that hot then the heatsink would be too hot to touch.

Hope this helps.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006

I found a site at Intel to download a video on the proper processor heatsink fan installation. I don't know if you can get it but this video will answer all of your questions.

http://www3.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/100617.htm

roguewarrior

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
Thanks so much - I will try your ideas. Very helpful, One last question, what software can I use that will max my CPU, to test out these ideas? My current OS is Vista. I will try it first on the broken way to get a baseline and then I will try to reseat the fan and try again. But I need a reproduceable test - not like watching some mpeg2 stuff which sometimes sets it off.

Thanks!

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Try running multiple instances of Prime95 or Orthos. Those have been recommended to test the stability of OC systems for stability.

Intel has an internal program called max power. You can set the power/utilization level with it. I have not looked to see if it has made out into the public domain so don't count on finding max power.

roguewarrior

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
You guys have been awesome help. I have removed my motherboard and I removed the fan from the CPU and then removed the CPU. Here is what I found:

1) There were TWO CPU fan's black pins that were not fully driven through to the other side
2) The thermal paste was chalky and dry on both CPU and back of fan
3) The cpu POPPED out when I released the lever on the socket
4) After FULLY pushing all 4 pins into the holes there is a bow to the motherboard and I do not know why

So is this bow normal? Is the CPU pooping out normal? Before the OS and all fully saw the CPU (Q6600) so I think the CPU and socket are fine - but still not sure why it popped out like that. I hope the bow is normal and that I just need to buy new thermal paste and all is well.

Any more help would even further scream thanks from my roof top (the neighbors can be darned :) ) !!!

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Rogue, yes the bow is part of the design of the Intel Heatsink. There is a necessary pre-load that ensures a tight bound between the heatsink and processor heat spreader.

I'm not sure about the cpu popping out of the socket 775 but the socket is designed with pre-load to ensure proper electrical connections to the LGA pins of the socket.

So, the thermal paste should not be chalky or flaky. It it is thoroughly clean the processor heat spreader and the heatsink and apply some after market thermal compound. Arctic Silver is commonly used.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
quad core needs an after market heat sink

repalce the chip with a dual core so you can watch tv with your stock hsf

quad cores are hot - come on - there are 2 chips in the same box

roguewarrior

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
Thanks again! I added the paste and then rest the fan. All black pins of the fan are protruding. When I am recording an HD channel and watching the temp is at 44-45 according to Speedfan. But I think it is confused (or I am confused) because in the BIOS there is no temp, what I see is something called Thermal Margin - I am wondering if what Speedfan is seeing is the thermal margin of the CPU and not the actual CPU temperature. Where a higher thermal margin is good.

Does that make sense?

dashu31

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
i just bought the same borad and processor.
how bowed your motherboard? cause after i installed the heatsink, it bowed too much as if it will break. is it really normal?