Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Acer laptop recovery help!!

Last response: in Storage
September 12, 2007 11:38:41 AM

hi guys,

i want to set my acer laptop to factory setting without using recovery cd but <Alt> <F10> doesn't work. i just recently try do recovery with the cd recovery but when i put the 1st cd when boot nothing happen. i have to do recovery because of some issues with spyware problem. after i did some spyware removal i restart but windows do some checking and really took a long checking almost 6 hours. checking on file and folder and checking on free space. and i think the long check occurred because i had the 1st recovery cd on my cd drive. the boot actually took quite some time and looks like the cd drive is controlling my laptop. then i try to make another recovery cd but the process of copying the 1st took so long like nothing happen. so i can't make recovery cd and also can't do recovery without cd using the <Alt><F10>. is there still a way to set to factory setting? how can i check whether the factory setting backup up files in the hidden partition still working after going thru the long windows check up. http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/ouc...
:ouch: 

thanks

More about : acer laptop recovery

September 12, 2007 9:06:43 PM

Have you checked the Acer support site? It's been close to a year but I had to run the recovery disk on a couple of Acer laptops and I think there is something you have to do to run the CD but don't remember what it was. Maybe a BIOS setting.
September 12, 2007 10:27:44 PM

hi,

i don't think i would get any reply from acer site. if they do reply it could be weeks from now.

i'm not very good with this OS thing. but still trying to figure out how can i take a look at the hidden partition. i'm just want to make sure the recovery files in the partition are still there. have asked to three forum but still not getting any reply yet only views. have checked to a lot previous thread but i still don't get it. i want to know what options i still have. is the <alt> <f10> won't work because the recovery doesn't exist anymore. if they still exist is there a way i can run any files thru the hidden partition to do recovery without any external cd or use the <alt><f10> method.

anyway i'm still waiting if anybody has any ideas.

thanks.
Related resources
September 12, 2007 11:09:07 PM

redspace said:
hi,

i don't think i would get any reply from acer site. if they do reply it could be weeks from now.

i'm not very good with this OS thing. but still trying to figure out how can i take a look at the hidden partition. i'm just want to make sure the recovery files in the partition are still there. have asked to three forum but still not getting any reply yet only views. have checked to a lot previous thread but i still don't get it. i want to know what options i still have. is the <alt> <f10> won't work because the recovery doesn't exist anymore. if they still exist is there a way i can run any files thru the hidden partition to do recovery without any external cd or use the <alt><f10> method.

anyway i'm still waiting if anybody has any ideas.

thanks.

Did mean you should contact Acer support, they likely would reply. Rather go to the support section of their website and see if there are instructions to do this, which I just did and couldn't find anything. I think you have to change a setting in your BIOS to run the CDs but don't remember precisely what. Check your BIOS settings and see if there is anything about recovery or something similar
September 13, 2007 12:20:48 AM

hi,

thanks g-paw and weskurtz81

i've look at pdf and the bios thing but sorry to say i have look at that solution before.

i'm sure that i didn't delete it but i'm not sure whether the hidden partition is still there because just don't know how to take a look at it. i know about IT programming but anything related to OS, partition , fat or ntfs i'm lost. just not my thing.

hope you guys could give more input related to it before i have to go to the store to get it done. acer definitely won't give me new recovery cd without extra charges.

still hoping that i could recover the factory setting. pleaseeee!!!!!

thanks.

September 13, 2007 2:14:43 AM

They actually might send you one in the mail if you ask them. Just email them and tell them your pc did not come with a recovery cd (I don't think they do) and tell them the recovery partition is not working. I will see what I can find for you though.
September 13, 2007 2:16:25 AM

hey, mine didn't but I think I might have found some info for you. Be back shortly.
September 13, 2007 3:52:32 AM

Remember to activate in Bios:
- Boot from cd From Boot menu.
- Activate the option D2D RECOVERY in the Main menu. The ( ALT+F10) when started Ok.

I copied that off of another forum.... try that out. Let me know.
September 13, 2007 2:18:38 PM

hi weskurtz81,

for the D2D recovery option it is already enabled but i'm not so sure about the boot from cd options. I have done this recovery with my recovery cd once before and it worked just fine.

i will look into the bios thing once more. let u know when i'm done with it.

anyhow thanks for the help i appreciate it very much.

September 13, 2007 8:48:37 PM

hi weskurtz81,

what a relieve!!!!!! i enabled boot menu from bios to activate <F12>. <Alt> +<F10> still don't work and don't know why.

so use <F12> instead, then select boot from cd and put the recovery cd in. work perfectly.

i guess since the order for boot sequence is hard disk first and cd/cdrom second so it had no effect although the cd recovery is a boot cd. so i know now.

just finished update windows XP and norton anti-virus. feels so good!!! and the screen looks so nice when it is new... but still need to install more program..

well weskurtz81 thanks for the help.. i really appreciate very much!.. hope all the best to you.. keep it up the good work!!.

see ya! :hello: 
December 10, 2007 10:13:19 PM

I know that i'm late, but i spent a day searching for a solution for the lost Alt+F10 problem, and after i found it i wanna share it:

The problem is: installing an operating system may overwrite the MBR on the HDD. This MBR contains the code that boots the PQService partition instead of the windows partition if it detects an Alt+F10 keystroke.

The solution is here: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Repair-the-Acer-D2D-Re...

I did it on a Travelmate 4150:
I disabled D2D in BIOS, booted Ubuntu from LiveCD, simply copied RTMBR.bin and MBRwrWin.exe (mbrwrdos.exe was there too) from the PQService partition (from the ACER\TOOLS directory) to a pendrive, booted the windows (which destroyed the Acer MBR while the installation process), executed MBRwrWin.exe (with RTMBR.bin in the same directory and of course with administrator account), enabled D2D in BIOS, and now i have the Alt+F10 function again.
December 11, 2007 7:26:03 AM

Oops!
I was so happy having my Alt+F10 back, that i forgot to check my windows. Unfortunately the method described in my previous reply killed it (i think the windows boot manager dislikes the modified state). It isn't a problem for me, because i will now recover the original windows (with Alt+F10), but it would be a very big problem for those who don't want to do it.
Sorry!
December 25, 2007 12:42:41 PM

People are looking at this thread because they didn't get their recovery disc/s with their systems, otherwise they would simply set their computers to boot from CD in the BIOS. To use the <Alt><F10> method to recover their systems from the 'hidden partition' I have made this little guide:

I know this works because I had to do this myself

Reboot your computer and hold down F8, from the menu that follows choose:

Repair your computer
Select keyboard layout, click Next then enter your user details
Click Command prompt
here you should be presented with 'X:\Windows\System32
type 'cd\' <Enter> without quotes
then at X:\ type 'mbrwrwin boot hdo:x' <Enter> without quotes

this sets the MBR to boot off the X: partition (ie. 'hidden partition')
now type 'Exit'

click on Restart and as soon as the Acer splash screen comes hold down the magic combination <Alt><F10>
and from there you can proceed to start D2D recovery :bounce: 
May 8, 2008 4:37:46 AM

Hi Guys
I too have forgotten my empowerment password, but can still access Vista okay. Its just that the Laptop Acer Aspire 5570 is running like a dog and I would like to reset to factory settings and start again. I tried the mbrwrwin thing but it said it wasnt a correct command.....can anyone assist? If I go down the path of taking the battery out can you tell me whereit is? Cheers
August 2, 2008 7:01:36 PM

Quote:
People are looking at this thread because they didn't get their recovery disc/s with their systems, otherwise they would simply set their computers to boot from CD in the BIOS. To use the <Alt><F10> method to recover their systems from the 'hidden partition' I have made this little guide:

Repair your computer
Click Command prompt
now type 'Exit'

BE CAREFUL PLEASE
maybe matt_0978 is right but in my case tryng to recover the ALT + F10 to invoke the factory setting that command overwrite the default boot setup and now everytime that I turn on the machine ( an Acer Aspire 5315) the machine enters into a loop and trying to find the boot at the root of X:\ the results is that it is maling a reset continously.
Now I got two problem:
How I can enter the right MBR parameters
Which are those right parameters ( right parameters are the default boot setting that the machine has and not this boot to root X)

September 8, 2008 5:18:40 PM

I am trying to recover an acer 3600 I have the recovery discs, use d2d from f12 no problem, however. Have been using an external monitor for over a year as LCD is smashed, and used FN +F5 with no problem.

Now after the recovery I can't get the extrnl monitor to work after XP has been loaded, it does show up during the start up. Then after the start up there is some additional step needed but I can't see the screen and there is some freakin' music loop being played. Can't get anywhere. Any ideas? It is driving me http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/message/ico... Thanks
October 31, 2008 6:02:45 PM

Hi toga,
What are your thoughts on D2D not working in my case?
> I have a new Hard Drive due to the old one crashing and 4 Recovery Disks.
Now Disk 1 of 4 is not bootable. There's not autoexec or sys files.

Thank you,
Rob
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
February 9, 2009 2:48:11 AM

hi i got mine sorted here, the d2d did not work but this did hope it helps
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
February 9, 2009 2:50:02 AM

hope that helps
February 17, 2009 8:01:34 PM

You seem like you know what you are talking about so I would like to ask you a question. I have booted up my computer a few times and there is an erecovery box on the bottom of my screen. I cant do anything with it? Why would that pop up? Is someone hacking my system? I am just confussed why something like that would show up out of the blue. Thanks for your help!!!

Thomas,

areyouready222@yahoo.com

matt_0978 said:

Repair your computer
Click Command prompt

now type 'Exit'

click on Restart and as soon as the Acer splash screen comes hold down the magic combination <Alt><F10>

March 31, 2009 7:40:50 AM

Hi,

I hv Acer Aspire 5670, i want to restore my laptop to system default.
I am not able to use acer recovery also <Alt+F10>.
from reading the above msgs i understood because i have converted my d: to NTFS hence the recovery is not working.
guys can u help me how to get back <Alt+F10> working....

thanks
swami_nadar@yahoo.com
April 1, 2009 5:11:45 AM

Hi, there someone plz reply my above query...... thanks
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
April 1, 2009 6:12:29 AM

Ok, the original OP on this thread had his problem solved. Each of you with a similar problem should start your own thread. You will get 1 on 1 help for your specific problem.
April 20, 2009 9:54:46 AM

Thanx for this wonderful information. But i have tried everything on my laptop. when I tried to put this command, it gives me error saying this is not a recognised commned.Please help me..Thanx

matt_0978 said:

Repair your computer
Click Command prompt

now type 'Exit'

April 20, 2009 10:13:36 AM

want to set my acer laptop to factory setting without using recovery cd but <Alt> <F10> doesn't work. i just recently try do recovery with the cd recovery but when i put the 1st cd when boot nothing happen. i have to do recovery because of some issues with spyware problem. after i did some spyware removal i restart but windows do some checking and really took a long checking almost 6 hours. checking on file and folder and checking on free space. and i think the long check occurred because i had the 1st recovery cd on my cd drive. the boot actually took quite some time and looks like the cd drive is controlling my laptop. then i try to make another recovery cd but the process of copying the 1st took so long like nothing happen. so i can't make recovery cd and also can't do recovery without cd using the <Alt><F10>. is there still a way to set to factory setting? how can i check whether the factory setting backup up files in the hidden partition still working after going thru the long windows check up.

I have tried this way as well

Repair your computer
Click Command prompt
now type 'Exit'

but my system won't work. When I came to Dos prompt and types the command..it gave me error saying this command is not a recognized command.

PLease help me what to do?

Kind regards
Amit
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
May 13, 2009 2:04:43 PM

The command syntax above is incorrect. Boot to the command prompt as you did before. You will probably have to type '1' to choose your partition. Then type 'help', that will list all the commands at your disposal.

The easiest way to fix your problem, is to boot into safe mode. You can use the system restore from the systems tools menu.
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
May 13, 2009 2:05:46 PM

But You should start your own thread for this. This is a 2 year old thread.
June 8, 2009 5:59:38 PM

Windows 7 written over xp edition on recent acer aspire one mini notebook.
Above makes it impossible to access eRecovery, still on the hard drive.I have all the files from the original system plus partition file from the eRec system. I have tried downloading xp beta for Windows 7, and attemptind to recover xp at the same time.Evidently a file entitled it41.dll is missing.What do I do now.

Love, Bones. P.S. Microsoft are ignoring the distressing situation.
June 9, 2009 4:30:27 PM

My Laptop has turned into hell!

I installed windows 7 on it thinking that the D2D would work (it did not).

So I tryed to fix it, now ive got a computer that says windows 7 is not there a windows xp that wont boot and a D2D that is busted... :pfff: 

I dont know what to do, I heard of the CD but was not in my box.
June 9, 2009 4:34:32 PM

bones jones said:
Above makes it impossible to access eRecovery, still on the hard drive.I have all the files from the original system plus partition file from the eRec system. I have tried downloading xp beta for Windows 7, and attemptind to recover xp at the same time.Evidently a file entitled it41.dll is missing.What do I do now.

Dont try to fix it!

It will only make hell, just get windows 7 when it comes out, its not worth it. (Trust me)
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
June 9, 2009 8:53:34 PM

bones jones said:

Did you uninstall the XP partition to install the windows7 or go for a dual boot?

'partition file from the eRec system' - are you referring to the restore partition? If so, delete the windows7 partition and do a system restore off that partition.

You may need to boot to the recovery console and use the 'fixboot' command
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
June 9, 2009 8:57:52 PM

A nice piece of software that may help both of you
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

You can try to salvage your system, or do a fresh install of windows.
June 10, 2009 5:18:16 AM

Well about one week ago I made a linux usb flash drive. Windows 7 was a big download so I made a copy of it, I extracted the windows 7 ISO to my windows xp desktop. windows 7 saves the files so that was a big help. After I booted into linux I took my 8 GB usb flash drive made it bootable and copyed the files that were on my old windows xp desktop (I can go into my C: system from linux). So I booted into windows 7 and installed the OS.

My latop is runing up and good now, all thanks to luck. :D 
July 15, 2009 4:38:48 PM

Now I have the problem 0xc000000e, lost my 8 gb usb stick and D2D is still not working...

GOD I GIVE UP I'M GETTING A DELL!!! :fou: 
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 15, 2009 4:48:40 PM

Is that a BSOD error? If so, the info that will help is the part with the underscores

EX:
page_fault_in_non_paged_area (or something similar)
August 23, 2009 11:30:33 AM

Acer Aspire 4315 / Windows Vista Home Basic

Attempting Factory Restore via Hidden PQservice ParHition

Have attempted all the above and keep recieving the following upon rebooting and pressing ALT+F10

Same result if I unhide PQSERVICE Partoition and set active:

File:\windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because
the application is missing and corrupt

As an experiment I aslo made a clone of the PQservice Partition using Norton Ghost / Copied to another partition on another hard drive / Restored image / rebooted (on a separate machine) and got same result as above.

Please Advise / Extremely frustrated / thanks in advance
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
August 23, 2009 10:04:22 PM

Will it boot into safe mode?

Do you have the retail vista disc or a restore disc?
August 24, 2009 7:53:49 AM

Yes it will boot into safe mode, as well as normal mode, once i run the repair procedure from a non oem cd i have, it repairs the errors it finds and then Vista boots back up again no prob.

No restore disks, only a non oem ver of Vista which wont accept the key on the back of the machine, and an in tact pqservice partition which i can see has all the info i need, hence my fustration.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
September 15, 2009 12:34:51 PM

The solution :
1. disable D2D in BIOS
2. Boot with Bart's bootcd (this has many usefull applications)
- select option 6
- browse to cd folder "tools" and run partedit32.exe set the type (use the set type button) to 0C (this makes the part info fat32, thus visible).
3. Restart and boot again with Bart's bootcd.
- select option R (press R)
- select option F3 (press F3) Win98
- on the command prompth type c: [enter]
- type cd\acer\tools [enter]
- type mbrwrdos.exe install rtmbr.bin [enter]
4. Restart en enable D2D in BIOS.
5. During post start, press ALT+F10 and the hidden partition will start and U can do the restore.

note: After the system restore the system will sometimes boot again via the hidden partition. Just restart again and windows will start.
September 19, 2009 1:54:00 AM

well first things first I wonder why can't Acer give the customer his copy of the OEM OS alone without all the crapware for future Dual Boots or installations when we are so called made to pay for the damn software. Few other things that eat your brains out. The backup restore software sucks big time. 8GB discs are there but it will ONLY backup to two DVDS. No options. Next after you spend all your damn time and back up and then change the bios setting to get it to IDE from raid for a XP cd to run since u have to either have a slip streamed RAID driver XP cd which is a process a bit too above my head now. You install XP and then when its time to reboot and load vista onto the second drive guess what?!! Again the crappy program doesn't give you an option to install Vista onto the second drive but says C:\ will be wiped out this is after all the programs and updates are done on the XP partition. Trust me nowadays the number of updates and service packs and the dot net updates issues and stuff might seriously want to put you off installing XP but then call me the patient one, coz I've been doing that for the past few weeks on numerous machines yeah right my hard work for free for the friendly neighborhood. Now its going to be another testing time for me trying to get the guys to give me a damn copy of the OS so that I can boot the laptop with Vista on the second drive!!! Acer 5738G and the irony is DDR3 4GB so I try to install XP 64 bit looks amazing and all but guess what no drivers and pops up the most stupid of msgs use Windows XP!! I mean since when was WIN XP 64-bit not XP only one driver given on the site too for x64 and guess what that too doesn't work. SWEET!!! And please peeps before you try installing stuff like OS take a BACKUP when they do have the option present on the laptop that way even in case you wipe out the OS partition/recovery partition which I know most of you would do and then play plain dumb like you didnt do anything I guess it will save a lot of trouble, though in my case all the backing up didnt help much since my purpose was different. If you have the partition the above methods help and if u don't have it and no backup DVDs with you then it will be your ill fate at the hands of Acer people giving you (or not) coz I know this will be a huge pain in the a@#$* knowing how things are in the real world. All the Best and hope and pray someone gets some sense knocked into these Acer people and also people who dont take proper backups!! ; )
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
October 25, 2009 12:02:59 AM

redspace said:
hi,

thanks g-paw and weskurtz81

i've look at pdf and the bios thing but sorry to say i have look at that solution before.

i'm sure that i didn't delete it but i'm not sure whether the hidden partition is still there because just don't know how to take a look at it. i know about IT programming but anything related to OS, partition , fat or ntfs i'm lost. just not my thing.

hope you guys could give more input related to it before i have to go to the store to get it done. acer definitely won't give me new recovery cd without extra charges.

still hoping that i could recover the factory setting. pleaseeee!!!!!

thanks.

If you want to look at the Hidden Partition, you pull the Hard drive out of Laptop and plug it into an External Hard Drive case (2.5") and plug into a PC. This way you can explore that F:\ Drive, to see if it still there. The Files may not not be much good to you. My case at the moment, is I have no Vista Home Basic CD and have tried ALT-F10. May have to use another copy with a CD and Licence. ( The setup of the ACER Laptop I am working on is C:\ OS, D:\Data, F:\ SYS Recov Files)
October 25, 2009 2:05:49 PM

My friend has an acer aspire 4710 with vista basic preinstalled. Also included with acer e-recovery. But his laptop crashed and had to use pirated version. How to reinstall the original vista basic using the acer empowering, the acer e-recovery. HE DID NOT MAKE ANY BACKUP CDs because he is not good in computer stuffs. can I install acer e-recovery in pirated version and use the factory default setting to recoverthe original vista basic in the PQ service partition. I think it is still usable.
In any case, could the PQ service partition can corrupt or attacked by virus since it is not used for 2 years and the partition is obviously hidden.
October 28, 2009 4:27:27 AM

well this is my story. i did all those sort of things with the mbrwrdos.exe or mbrwrwin.exe and the rtmbr.bin, and i thought it will work, but now i've got another surprise when i press <Alt+F10> it seems that will boot the recovery but then appeared a new message saying HDD RECOVERY VALIDATION FAILED what does this mean? I cant get d2d back to work :( 
December 4, 2009 2:36:17 AM

redspace said:
hi weskurtz81,

what a relieve!!!!!! i enabled boot menu from bios to activate <F12>. <Alt> +<F10> still don't work and don't know why.

so use <F12> instead, then select boot from cd and put the recovery cd in. work perfectly.

i guess since the order for boot sequence is hard disk first and cd/cdrom second so it had no effect although the cd recovery is a boot cd. so i know now.

just finished update windows XP and norton anti-virus. feels so good!!! and the screen looks so nice when it is new... but still need to install more program..

well weskurtz81 thanks for the help.. i really appreciate very much!.. hope all the best to you.. keep it up the good work!!.

see ya! :hello: 

I have been reading this and got down to here. Then I tried the alt f10 on my acer 5420 extensa and it worked perfectly!! THANKS
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
December 21, 2009 6:21:06 PM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU,not much more i can say i was ready for throwing it in the bin untill i tried your wisdom and now its like new so thank you very much for all your hard work in finding out a cure your amazing
January 9, 2010 1:08:06 AM

To everyone who posts here and takes the time read and respond! YOU ROCK! I was able to fix my computer from just reading your posts as the ACER direcitons that came with disks didn't work! THANK YOU so much! :) 
!