Sign in with
Your question

New PC Advice Please

Last response: in Systems
July 27, 2007 9:39:09 PM

Hi guys,

It's about time for a new pc and I have done quite a bit of research about this but the final decisions are still not made. I'm currently considering the following setup and would like some advice what would be best.

Processor:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz S775
Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz S775
Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6700 S775 2.66GHz

Leaning towards the Q6700 since it's quite cheap compared to QX version although, anyone care to explain the differences?

Motherboard:
Asustek S775 nForce 680i ATX Audio Lan (Striker Extreme)

RAM (4x):
Corsair Memory CM2X1024 - 6400 1GB XMS2-6400 240Pin DIMM CAS5

Not sure about RAM especially confused when it comes down to timings. Definetly want 4gb though use alot of heavy resource apps and planning to run vista.

Hard Drive:
750 Gb Seagate ST3750640AS-RK Barracuda 7200.10, SATA300, 7200 rpm, 16MB Cache, 8 ms, NCQ

This would be my main hard drive main concern, are hard drives the choke points for today's games? Thinking Unreal 3, Quake 4 etc

Graphics Cards (2x Sli):
EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCIE Dual DVI Fan

Not sure about brands and their differences, just know i want to run two 8800 gtx cards in sli.

Sound Card:
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty 7.1 Champion Series Soundcard - Retail

Optical Drive:
Samsung DVD+-R/RW SATA LightScribe Black with Nero

Not sure about quality of drives however think this one is decent, definetly want LightScribe.

Power Supply:

A big ? here... not sure how many watts i would need for a PC like this enither which supplies are good. Don't mind spending extra money on a really good one. Efficiency is a key factor here since i will most likely use my PC for a good number of hours each day 10+ or even leave overnight for weeks... if the bill isn't too big :) 

Case:

Lian Li PC-V2000 Aluminium Case

My main choice for this case was the fact that the motherboard is on the right side instead of the left. Since my PC will be next to the left wall all other cases I have seen are no good incase i want to have a window and also the size of the case leaves me with lots of space for the GTX cards. Also any UK shops that have sell this case? have only got 1 that has it.

Monitor:
Samsung SM-245B 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black

Don't have alot of options here i definetly want 24inch for 1920x1600 and 5ms is extremely low for gaming which is the main focus of the PC. Also the price of this monitor seems really nice which is also a big plus. However it's not been released yet and the estimated date is 31st of August which is quite some time away... open to suggestions :) 

Water Cooling:

At the start i was thinking of purchasing the water blocks and the parts seperately, however when it all add's up it comes up to quite a sum and the choices are pretty wide. So a whole kit seems more convenient, im open to suggestions here too. And wondering do these kits come with waterblocks for sli?

Thanks in advance for your comments and incase you need any more information please don't be shy to post :) 

Would like to make the final decision by sunday in order to get free delivery so hope that's enough time ty again :D 

More about : advice

July 27, 2007 10:01:51 PM

CPU: Go for the Q6600 since you want to overclock anyway( The main difference with the Extreme QX and a normal chip is that the Extreme has an unlocked multiplier)
Memory: The lower the CAS rating the faster, look for at least CAS 4
Power Supply: The Corsair HX620 will have enough power and is of high quality.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article692-page1.html
July 27, 2007 10:14:05 PM

Everything's looking good, Q6600 is an obvious choice, why on earth would you pay $300 extra for Q6700 with 266Mhz extra on the clock, which you can oc by yourself so easily, especially on water.
Ram I'd switch To Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066 PC2 8500.
PSU, there's 2 choices really.
1. Corsair 620HX
2. PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad

Both are absolutely amazing in terms of performance, quietness and built quality, both will do the job just fine. But considering the potential future upgrades, you should go with the PC power & cooling silencer 750 quad.

I can't comment on the samsung since I've never heard of it, but if you don't want to wait till september, consider BenQ FP241W. It's been reviewed on trustedreviews.com and given 10/10, which is pretty rare for them. 6ms, 1000:1, 178 degree viewing angles.

Water cooling I can't really comment on duo to lack of experience in that field, but you might wanna take a look at $360 Gigabyte Mercury Pro, it's been reviewed recently on Guru3d.com and given a very high rating. It's a case with in built watercooling, here's the review:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/cases/444/

Good luck.
Related resources
July 27, 2007 10:42:50 PM

Damn you beat to the punch again with the PC Power & cooling 750. Go for the black one, looks better than the copper-color version.

One thing, change that mobo, the striker extreme is so overpriced that it's not even funny anymore. Go with eVGA 680i:

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-T1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
July 27, 2007 10:57:42 PM

On the subject of water cooling you should check out this site as they will have everything you need.

http://www.dangerden.com/

Have not done alot of water cooling myself but these kits have a great reputation and very high quality parts.

I agree with Emp, the striker is not worth the money. EVGA or XFX 680i motherboard would be recomended.

July 28, 2007 10:31:35 AM

Thanks alot guys for the suggestion, made quite alot of choices and here is my updated build:

Processor: Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz S775
Motherboard: XFX S775 nForce 680i SLI ATX A L
RAM: GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC)
Hard Drive: 750 Gb Seagate ST3750640AS-RK Barracuda 7200.10, SATA300, 7200 rpm, 16MB Cache, 8 ms, NCQ
Graphics Cards (2xSLI): EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCIE Dual DVI Fan
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty 7.1 Champion Series Soundcard - Retail
Optical Drive: Samsung DVD+-R/RW SATA LightScribe Black with Nero
Water Cooling Kit: Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultra Watercooling Kit (Socket 462/478/LGA775/754/939/940)
GPU Block (2x): DangerDen 8800 GTX Block
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad PCI-E 750W Power Supply
Case: Lian-Li PC V2000 PLUS Silver Aluminium Full-Tower (No PSU)
Monitor: BenQ FP241W 24" Widescreen HDMI/HDCP LCD HD Monitor - Silver/Black

I think i'm pretty happy with the choices and managed to cutdown the price from £3100 down to £2500 even with the slightly higher price of the monitor :) 

If there is anything else i should be concerned about regarding the water cooling please let me know, since this is going to be first time doing it and any advice is highly appreciated. Thank you again :D 

Oh and one last question regarding front bays, I will probably require the serial/parrarel ports and was wondering if there are any front bays with those? So far i have only found extension cards which is rather inconvenient to reach when I need to detach cables consistently.

Awaiting patiently :D 

!