Big bang! Tiny buck. And sticking with AMD. Help me score please.

OK Advanced Micro, I'm coming back to ya!

I just put $1600 into a new c2d system and now it's time to upgrade my other box. For this one Id like to go with AMD - both for economical reasons and to show them some love. I've been paying so much attention to my Intel build that I have gotten a little foggy on AMD details. Last AMD system I built was a 2500+ M. So I come to my fellow members for advice.

I'm thinking of keeping my AGP video card (nvidia 6800) and my I gig of DDR (1) ram and my 400 w Antec PSU. I'm thinking of just getting getting a MOBO and CPU to replace my AMD 2500+ and my Abit nf7 board. I like to OC, oh yes, but I won't be using this rig for a whole lot of gaming. I'd be satisfied with middling power and good stability all for a low, low price. Probably even stick with the stock HSF.

Any suggestions? How about a Opteron 170? If so what would be a good board for it? What OC could I get from it with stock HSF? Any advice will be appreciated. If you think I ought to scrap this idea and do something different please tell me. I just see no need to spend hundreds on my secondary PC.

Thank you so much.

That asrock looks like it might be the ticket gpaw. Perhaps with it I can stay under $200, which is my goal - I'd get to recycle my RAM and Video and it's got on board audio. I would think upping from a 2500+ to a dual core Opty would be a big improvement, you think?

But this is mentioned in the specs;

"1 x Future CPU Port (Supports CPU upgrade from AMD Socket 939 CPU to Socket AM2 CPU through AM2CPU Board)".

What does it mean? ETA I found this from a review here http://www.ocworkbench.com/2006/asrock/939dual-vsta/g2.htm "At the middle of the board is a yellow coloured slot and 4 rows of jumpers. Those are used for Future CPU Upgrade to Socket AM2."

So it seems you can put an am2 chip in it too, on some sort of host card? I wonder how well this works and if there would be a bteer choice than the Opty 170 for the board now that am2 is an option. Thanks for the help!

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Interesting about upgrading to AM2. I thought the AM2 had one more pin than the 939, which was why it required a different board but I must be wrong. You can get an AM2 X2 3800 for $66 at newegg and they'll give you a refund if you return it within 7 days but I think there is a 15% restocking fee. Looks like the only 939 CPUs at newegg are Opterons and they are more expensive. Be interesting to see if the AM2 would work with that board but of course the experiment would be on your dime :) Let us know what you decide, especially if you decide on trying the AM2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&Subca tegory=343&Description=&Type=&N=2+50001028+40000343+1050717007&s rchInDesc=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&OEMMark=0&PropertyCodeValue=517%3 A7439

marlborosmoker

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Newegg prices (The links get messed up by the forum)

x2 3800+ - $62
Asus M2nMX - $65
2x1 gig DDR2 800 - Take your pick around $100
of it's not for gaming well I'll cop some flak for this but the 8600gt, looks ok for what you want it to do,

royalcrown

Distinguished

my mobo cost me 74 and I went a cpl notches up, and my 5400 was 88 bucks, you could EASILY upgrade your self to a low end AM2 system for 200, then another 40 for the ps and 60 for the video card and your at 300 or so...