Sign in with
Your question

Have not found a SATA DVD Burner that works..

Last response: in Storage
September 12, 2007 3:54:34 PM

I have a Biostar TF560 AM2+ and I have not found a single drive that possibly works. I tried a LITE-ON LH-20A1L-05, wouldn't detect! I've also tried a Plextor 716SA. Both either make my computer lock up or non bootable. The motherboard I have is weird because I have 1xIDE which I have my main harddrive on, and a 4xSATA ports, one which has my second harddrive on (I tried to clone but that wouldn't work).

I originally was going to have my DVD drive on IDE and my cloned drive on SATA but that didn't go as planned, so I"m trying to get a SATA DVD burner...

I'm sure many have experienced this problem with onboard SATA, more specifically, biostar or nforce 560 chipsets. I don't want to buy yet another DVD burner that will not work. Any suggestions?
September 12, 2007 4:10:14 PM

deadxatthexscene said:
I have a Biostar TF560 AM2+ and I have not found a single drive that possibly works. I tried a LITE-ON LH-20A1L-05, wouldn't detect! I've also tried a Plextor 716SA. Both either make my computer lock up or non bootable. The motherboard I have is weird because I have 1xIDE which I have my main harddrive on, and a 4xSATA ports, one which has my second harddrive on (I tried to clone but that wouldn't work).

I originally was going to have my DVD drive on IDE and my cloned drive on SATA but that didn't go as planned, so I"m trying to get a SATA DVD burner...

I'm sure many have experienced this problem with onboard SATA, more specifically, biostar or nforce 560 chipsets. I don't want to buy yet another DVD burner that will not work. Any suggestions?
\

You may not be able to have the IDE drive as an enabled boot device AND a SATA DVD set up in BIOS and working properly. Read here:

Quote:
Unique bios, at least to me, have built several systems, took some time to get SATA drive to be seen as C:...trick, do not plug anything into IDE/PATA.. connector--

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N...

You may have to install your OS on a SATA HD and loose the IDE HD as a bootable drive with your OS if you want to use a SATA DVD drive on your system. HTH.
September 12, 2007 4:22:10 PM

Thats what I wanted to but what I went through made me just say screw it. After not being able to clone my old drive I said screw it and I did a FRESH install on my new drive. But it was being read as D:\ and I didn't want it to cause problems so I used partition magic to switch it to C: but then it wouldn't boot up anymore. I was just so extremely frustrated having spent like 2 days trying to figure it all out. Sounds like it could be a problem though.

Honestly, if I could get a way to clone my drive so I can use an IDE DVD burner I'd do it but I already tried multiple approaches and software. I have sooooo much stuff on my computer it would be ridiculous to do a fresh install unless ABSOLUTELY necessary =(
Related resources
September 12, 2007 4:25:32 PM

Well, you could copy all your important files to disc or removable drive. Keep the IDE drive the way it is with OS, etc., but remove it from the computer. Do a fresh install on a new SATA drive. Put your important files back on the new install.
September 12, 2007 4:46:17 PM

The problems that are occuring with the OP's computer mirror the problems I had when updating my old computer. The SATA didn't want to play nice with the IDE. So, I essentially did what you suggest, Badge, and everything works nicely again. I didn't physically remove the IDE hard drive, but left it in place so I can do a quick change of the power lines between the IDE and the SATA drives, therefore allowing me easy access to the files on the IDE hard drive if I need them. Mainly, I use SATA drives together and IDE drives together and everything works right.

Just a slightly different way of tackling the problem.
September 12, 2007 4:51:29 PM

I use a SATA DVD player just fine, but I don't have anything attached to the IDE controller. That is an ASUS 965 board. One very important thing to remember is to be sure to attach your SATA DVD to one of the 'common' SATA MB headers. Do Not plug it into one of the 'special' RAID controllers. I think OP's problem is BIOS related. Thing is, I don't own the board and do not know exactly what to tell him. Only to loose the IDE boot drive and use a SATA drive for both OS and DVD setuo.
September 12, 2007 4:52:53 PM

Yeah, it just kind of sucks cause a lot of my important files are recording sessions and compositions. It's so much software and new CD keys I have to get and a ridiculous amount of drivers. I suppose I could try it again but if I take my IDE drive out, and reinstall windows on my SATA (not to mention I have bioshock saved on my SATA HDD since I planned to get a SATA DVD drive anyway), I would HOPE that it would read as drive C:, but everything else I'd have to copy from my IDE back onto my SATA. It sucks that I can't just do a copy paste kind of deal but yeah... I dont know what to do... = / I wish I could get a working SATA DVD drive thats all I want and I'm cool. hah
September 12, 2007 5:13:44 PM

badge said:
I think OP's problem is BIOS related. Thing is, I don't own the board and do not know exactly what to tell him. Only to loose the IDE boot drive and use a SATA drive for both OS and DVD setuo.

I agree that it might be BIOS related. If its an older board, such as the one I'm using in my old computer, the BIOS just doesn't handle the changes well. I'm using an ASUS SATA DVD player/recorder in that computer, but it refuses to work if I try to use both it and the IDE based Plextor CD player/recorder. For now I just put up with the troubles. In the next few months I'll be doing an all new build and everything will be SATA from the start.

For the OP; I just thought of a way that might get your files transfered, though its a bit of a hastle. If you can install the IDE drive on another computer, whether a spare one or one belonging to a friend who is willihg to do it, you can do a file transfer from one computer to the other. I haven't done that in a long time, but as I remember you use the "Network Connections" manager. Using that, you can establish a small network between the computers and transfer files from one to the other. You motherboard may already have a NIC in place, as mine does. Otherwise, you may have to buy a NIC card to do this.

Since CD recordables came into use, I've just put everything onto CDs and then use them to transfer the data from one drive to another. Since I back up everything regularly, its never been any extra work for me to transfer the data. Just some more thoughts.
September 12, 2007 5:18:04 PM

Thanks. What I am thinking of is trying a USB burner. I don't know if those have had more or less problems but USB usually works well and its compatible in most cases. Hell, my external which I run all the time is USB. Maybe that'll be my next option. If all else fails, I'll go completely SATA but that'll be like a weeks project. haha
September 12, 2007 5:31:08 PM

I was thinking about that too... For $25, I don't know, I'm really iffy. To me it sounds like more incompatibilities.
September 12, 2007 5:35:18 PM

I almost tossed an old MB when the Ethernet stopped working. I glad a didn't. Saw a cheap PCI ethernet controller the other day.
September 12, 2007 5:36:18 PM

Wow. You have really worked trying to solve all this!
September 12, 2007 5:52:08 PM

Interesting products. I'm worried that it will be in conflict with my current SATA drivers on my mobo. And since I only have one IDE which my current bootable drive is on, adding one of those things would defeat the purpose unless they make one that can support more than one drive. Unless I am misunderstanding. Because I definitely want to keep my IDE drive as my boot UNLESS I can clone to my new SATA (therefore it would free up room for a working DVD drive)
September 12, 2007 5:57:39 PM

Well that is most definately possible. If you want to clone the drive to a new one on SATA then either way will work. If you want to keep the drive that is IDE grab the second one. It plugs in to the back of your IDE drive and turns it into a SATA drive. The speed wont go faster then the drive can handle. If you use the latter you can run your whole system including you old ide and your unusable DvDRs all on SATA. Your having trouble now cause your board wants either IDE or Sata not both.
September 12, 2007 7:09:33 PM

I am a beta tester for Acronis 11 and it will certainly clone a PATA to a SATA. Years ago ABIT had an adapter they called serrillel but it was limited to 1.5 gb/s....I think I still have it around here somewhere.

What error message did you get when you tried your clone?
September 13, 2007 3:46:09 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. I understand my computer only wants to use one or the other. I am running a boot drive on IDE and secondary on SATA fine, but anything else will screw it up.

I have used Norton Ghost, Acronis, and Partition Magic 8, all have failed in doing clones. And I have followed advice from multiple forums and websites. It just says the drive is not bootable, to check your manual etc.

I'm scared to buy another SATA DVD drive because itll be a waste of money if it fails again. I think I will try USB first, and if all else fails I will try another method of cloning.
September 13, 2007 5:02:28 AM

[#e2001c]ASUS DRW1814-BLT REVIEW AT CDFREAKS.COM I HAVE IT AND IT WORKS BEAUTIFULLY ONLY THREE SHEEP BURNER THAT I KNOW OF!!!
September 13, 2007 5:08:34 AM

Have you tried XXCLONE? http://www.xxclone.com/
I've used it a few times, works from within Windows. Work for me! :) 
September 16, 2007 10:05:10 AM

Ahhhhh come on roadrunner.....
He just wants what he wants and if an Acronis clone does not work for him...then he is doing something wrong.
September 16, 2007 3:07:19 PM

onestar said:
Ahhhhh come on roadrunner.....
He just wants what he wants and if an Acronis clone does not work for him...then he is doing something wrong.

Well in order to use Acronis, your computer has to recognize your drives first. It's kinda hard to clone something that your computer can't find. This topic isn't about cloning drives. It is about recogizing them. It doesn't help anyone buy giving him stupid advice that doesn't work. What he needs to do is run 100% sata or 100% ide.
September 16, 2007 5:13:44 PM

Roadrunner....He said he used acronis (his post as of 09-13-2007 at 05:46:09 AM) ...and acronis will not work at all unless it sees the drives, so it is not about recognizing the drives. Instead of jumping to conclusions, please read what the man posted.

You do not need to run 100% anything in order to make things work. I run SCSI, SATA, PATA, and USB drives all on the same machine, so your statement makes very little sense.
September 16, 2007 5:45:09 PM

Do some research. He has a cheap Mobo. It doesn't work with SATA and PATA. Just because yours does, doesn't mean his don't.

Good for you buying a good board.

Bottom line is he can't clone if his cheap board can't recognize his drives. I'm sure Arconics is great but not with out a drive to clone to.

Try and help recognize the drive first, and then give advice how to clone.
September 16, 2007 5:45:52 PM

Do some research. He has a cheap Mobo. It doesn't work with SATA and PATA. Just because yours does, doesn't mean his don't.

Good for you buying a good board.

Bottom line is he can't clone if his cheap board can't recognize his drives. I'm sure Arconics is great but not with out a drive to clone to.

Try and help recognize the drive first, and then give advice how to clone.
September 16, 2007 6:29:45 PM

BIOSTAR should be banned for this kind of nonsense!

But it still seems like he should be able to clone the IDE using the acronis boot cd and then remove the IDE so it will boot to SATA.
Then he should be able to connect his DVD on PATA without problems.
September 16, 2007 7:50:54 PM

Is the controller set to SATAII or SATA150?
November 24, 2007 3:57:31 PM

deadxatthexscene said:
Thanks. What I am thinking of is trying a USB burner. I don't know if those have had more or less problems but USB usually works well and its compatible in most cases. Hell, my external which I run all the time is USB. Maybe that'll be my next option. If all else fails, I'll go completely SATA but that'll be like a weeks project. haha

Why not just get a USB enclosure for 5.25 size optical drives (not those one button back up hard drive units). Those USB enclosures can also be used for hard drives. Just get the IDE version. You can get an IDE dl burner for cheap, and the box for cheap too. They also make them in combo versions already too, both generic and retail name brand units.

I used to burn with my old pioneer 107 (eide or ide or atapi, dunno) and a generic USB external box, and worked great. That same gerneric box was also used for my many ide hard drives (old ones like 10 gb (pio mode 2?) drives on up to ata100 drives).
!