q6600 stock fan and PSU questions

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Question number 1: Is the stock HS/Fan for the Intel Q6600 good enough to get the job done without having to buy a discrete HS/F ?

In all probability the answer I will receive here will probably be a yes, but what I really want to know is whether or not i can get away with just using the stock fan w/o suffering from problems.

If the answer to that is no, can someone point me to a good resource to learn how to pick out good Heatsinks/fans?

Question number 2: Will a 600 watt PSU be enough to support a system comprised of the following:

Intel Q6600
evga 8800gts
2gb ram
2 sata hdd's
dvd burner

also, what brands are trustworthy for "quality" PSUs? By "quality" i mean, they are reliable enough that the PSU wont break on me for about 4 years. It doesn't have to be creme of the crop, it just has to get the job done and not suck.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and I would be happy to reciprocate the help if any of you ever have linux questions.

-Zorak

lensman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
In case you haven't seen my post on the other thread, there's a good deal going on the following PSU:
http://www.buy.com/prod/Corsair_HX5...r_ATX_Power_Supply/q/loc/58207/203270716.html

It's only 520W but I'm sure it will run the setup you describe. Do you think there's any chance you're going to run SLi or go for more HDD's? The Corsair 520 should be enough even for that, but they must sell the 620 for a reason. :)

BTW, the only reason I'm shilling for this PSU is that it's a great price for a quiet PSU. If you don't care about noise, you *might* be able to find comparable or better deals elsewhere.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Yeah SLI isn't really going to be an issue for me. Too expensive. So as a result I won't really need to worry about buying a PSU that is beefy enough to support that level of power consumption. As long as it gets the job done for the setup listed above, we are in business (although I might add an extra DVD-Rom or Blu-ray drive later).

Thanks

-Zorak

If you are not overclocking, then yes a stock fan on a Q6600 is more than enough to keep your CPU cool. If you intend to overclock, that is a different issue, and stock cooling will not be sufficient.

As to the PSU question, any DECENT 500-550 watt PSU will be sufficient, and last the 4 years, as long as it has the required amount of amps on 12v.