Looking for the best DirectX 10 card w/out breaking the bank.

Cincinnatus Prime

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
I am looking at a BFG GeForce 8800 Ultra OC 768MB card that will cost me around 740.00

Is there a more sensible alternative or is this a good choice?

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
yes, you can wait about a 1/2 year until G92/ R700. G92 supposedly is 2x faster than that card you listed. I would wait, because these current cards seems to lack in full dx10 games, but we will soon see if thats true. IMO, i would just wait a 1/2 year to see what it brings to the table(btw, the current series of cards shuold get some sort of price drop *hint hint*)

sailer

Splendid

I go along with this.

Motion made, seconded, and third approval given. Now its up to you whether it passes or not, since you're the one who actually spends the money.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
If current history is any guide, DX10 uptake will lag the Windows Vista release by about 20 to 24 months.
Why even bother with it until late next year?
Anyways a better video card will be out that will play all the pretty DX10 games in late 08.
DX10 not compelling right now.

sailer

Splendid
Yet another reason not to bother with Vista and DX10. No games yet, changing standards that force new hardware for games that don't exist and may not exist for a year of more, and game companies unable to plan and design anything because they have no stable platform to base their designs upon.

The only good reason I see at the moment for the new DX10 cards is that they allow better fps in DX9 games on big monitors.

sailer

Splendid

I have read that it is, but I can't remember the source of the info at the moment. Provided that such is true, ATI may have a bigger advantage over Nvidia in the near future.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Seriously the GTX is all you need if you don't plan on upgrading within a year. If you're going to upgrade within a year then the 640 8800GTS is a good buy too.