Best Windows 7 x64 AntiVirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

xnem3s1sx

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I've noticed that a lot of the anti virus programs I've heard recommended for Windows 7 install to Program Files x86, so far, I've the only one I've seen which doesn't is Avast.
Question is, what are you using, do you think it matters that much, and why aren't more companies making x64 anti virus programs?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

There isn't a 64 bit version of Office, either....

Any AV that worked under Vista should work under Win 7. AVG and Avast for free versions, I use Kaspersky.

lito4468

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
actually there is office for 64 bit systems. i've tried a lot of antivirus for windows 7 64. trend hangs on update, avg is fair, f secure is good, ms essentials is better(i paired it with viper but turned off the protection of vipre) norton is and 360 are good, g data is good,..bitdefender is 2009 hangs, and so does kaspersky 2009.

litolimoliveros@yahoo.com :D

I've been using Norton 360, and I love it. Amazingly enough, Symantec must have finally heard the complaints, because the latest version is fast, light on resources, and it works really well.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
That is great to hear cjl, because I didn't like to use norton, and had no experience with the new 360 version. I am using AVG free and have be for the last two years...maybe its time to change and try it.

dannymichel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007

a couple of u have recommended this but i thought the thread said 'free'

No, it doesn't say free... it just says "Best Windows 7 x64 antivirus."... that means both free and paid. I liked Trend Micro on Vista x64, but have not had the opportunity to try it on Win 7 yet.

dannymichel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007

mixed up my tabs on firefox i guess

Foosage

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
I am currently using BullGuard for 64 Bit. I've been using it for about 4 months without any problems. It warns me of port scanning attacks when they happen and I haven't been infected at all. There is a 60 day trial so that you can see if you like it as much as I do.
Provided below is a link to their website.

http://www.bullguard.com

Not always. I was using Windows One Care because it was fast, low on resources and had protected three of my machines easily (my grandparents, my 7 year old XP machine and my current Vista machine) without ever getting a virus or anything getting through.

I installed 7 last night as a clean install and when I tried to install it Windows 7 said specifically it wont work for it and I had to find a new one. Hope that free one MS is working on comes out soon and is as good as One Care was....

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009

I must be missing something because I don't see free anywhere......where do you see it?

rkaye

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
eset's and kaspersky's are regularly rated #2 and #1 in everything (trustworthy) I read. i personally run esat's 64bit, and have for years. tried kaspersky on a diff pc here and it seemed to slow it down noticeably, whereas esat does not. just make sure if you ever get infected when running windows -- regardless of what av program that you use, that you boot from a linux os cd and clean with that; you'll save yourself a ton of trouble, and you wont spread the infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.