Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best Windows 7 x64 AntiVirus

Last response: in Windows 7
May 3, 2009 1:10:30 AM

I've noticed that a lot of the anti virus programs I've heard recommended for Windows 7 install to Program Files x86, so far, I've the only one I've seen which doesn't is Avast.
Question is, what are you using, do you think it matters that much, and why aren't more companies making x64 anti virus programs?

More about : windows x64 antivirus

May 3, 2009 5:49:11 AM

I personally use a 32bit OS but you might want to take a look at ESET.
May 3, 2009 5:57:06 AM

There aren't a lot of native x64 anti virus to bein with.
Related resources
May 3, 2009 6:14:11 AM

xnem3s1sx said:
I've noticed that a lot of the anti virus programs I've heard recommended for Windows 7 install to Program Files x86, so far, I've the only one I've seen which doesn't is Avast.
Question is, what are you using, do you think it matters that much, and why aren't more companies making x64 anti virus programs?

There isn't a 64 bit version of Office, either....

Any AV that worked under Vista should work under Win 7. AVG and Avast for free versions, I use Kaspersky.
a b $ Windows 7
May 3, 2009 11:44:54 AM

ESET works great.
May 6, 2009 1:13:04 AM

Mcaffe has a beta (free) for windows 7.
July 10, 2009 7:40:29 AM

actually there is office for 64 bit systems. i've tried a lot of antivirus for windows 7 64. trend hangs on update, avg is fair, f secure is good, ms essentials is better(i paired it with viper but turned off the protection of vipre) norton is and 360 are good, g data is good,..bitdefender is 2009 hangs, and so does kaspersky 2009.

litolimoliveros@yahoo.com :D 
a b $ Windows 7
July 10, 2009 12:46:00 PM

Been using ESET (NOD) since installing - Unobtrusive and works great.
a b $ Windows 7
July 24, 2009 8:34:11 PM

I've been using Norton 360, and I love it. Amazingly enough, Symantec must have finally heard the complaints, because the latest version is fast, light on resources, and it works really well.
July 24, 2009 9:46:44 PM

That is great to hear cjl, because I didn't like to use norton, and had no experience with the new 360 version. I am using AVG free and have be for the last two years...maybe its time to change and try it.
September 1, 2009 1:57:39 AM

starams5 said:
Hi

ESET has been working with 32bit & 64bit since the beta release of version 4. The final release of 4 came out some time ago, now on 4.0.424. Take the trial version for a spin and see what you think.

http://www.eset.com/download/free_trial_download.php

a couple of u have recommended this but i thought the thread said 'free'
a b $ Windows 7
September 1, 2009 2:23:19 AM

No, it doesn't say free... it just says "Best Windows 7 x64 antivirus."... that means both free and paid. I liked Trend Micro on Vista x64, but have not had the opportunity to try it on Win 7 yet.
September 1, 2009 3:59:24 AM

Zoron said:
No, it doesn't say free... it just says "Best Windows 7 x64 antivirus."... that means both free and paid. I liked Trend Micro on Vista x64, but have not had the opportunity to try it on Win 7 yet.

mixed up my tabs on firefox i guess
September 5, 2009 7:48:45 PM

I am currently using BullGuard for 64 Bit. I've been using it for about 4 months without any problems. It warns me of port scanning attacks when they happen and I haven't been infected at all. There is a 60 day trial so that you can see if you like it as much as I do.
Provided below is a link to their website.

http://www.bullguard.com
September 10, 2009 5:33:30 AM

croc said:
There isn't a 64 bit version of Office, either....

Any AV that worked under Vista should work under Win 7. AVG and Avast for free versions, I use Kaspersky.

Not always. I was using Windows One Care because it was fast, low on resources and had protected three of my machines easily (my grandparents, my 7 year old XP machine and my current Vista machine) without ever getting a virus or anything getting through.

I installed 7 last night as a clean install and when I tried to install it Windows 7 said specifically it wont work for it and I had to find a new one. Hope that free one MS is working on comes out soon and is as good as One Care was....
September 23, 2009 1:39:16 AM

dannymichel said:
a couple of u have recommended this but i thought the thread said 'free'

I must be missing something because I don't see free anywhere......where do you see it?
a c 395 $ Windows 7
a b è Antivirus
September 25, 2009 1:52:17 AM

kaspersky runs flawless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a c 395 $ Windows 7
a b è Antivirus
September 25, 2009 1:53:55 AM

microsoft just released an update for windows 7 x64 yesterday so you can now run trend micro products!!!!!!!!!
September 26, 2009 4:58:57 AM

eset's and kaspersky's are regularly rated #2 and #1 in everything (trustworthy) I read. i personally run esat's 64bit, and have for years. tried kaspersky on a diff pc here and it seemed to slow it down noticeably, whereas esat does not. just make sure if you ever get infected when running windows -- regardless of what av program that you use, that you boot from a linux os cd and clean with that; you'll save yourself a ton of trouble, and you wont spread the infection.
a c 395 $ Windows 7
a b è Antivirus
September 26, 2009 9:20:39 PM

oh ok the site has a big eset ad at the top!
September 26, 2009 9:28:32 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
oh ok the site has a big eset ad at the top!

Yet the site is run by a company owned by Sophos and you don't see them at the top of the tests do you.

The VB 100 is the best review out there for any antivirus vendor.
October 23, 2009 11:51:29 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Look Here!!!!!

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-cha...

eset has a very low rank!

Read the description above that table. "... the Recommendation column contains links to the online stores or products' webpages of the vendors that we have affiliate agreements with."

Of course they're going to recommend all of the products with which they have affiliate agreements.
a b $ Windows 7
October 23, 2009 4:31:43 PM

AVG/Avast. No point to paid solutions, as they are significantly worse then these two are.
a b $ Windows 7
October 23, 2009 6:17:12 PM

Necrovaris said:
Yet the site is run by a company owned by Sophos and you don't see them at the top of the tests do you.

The VB 100 is the best review out there for any antivirus vendor.

I'm not sure you can go by placement on the list... as it appears to be an alphabetical listing of the products. It looks more like a pass / fail kind of test rather than an actual ranking of product. Any product that passes their tests is given the award... regardless of how it performs. (Slow / fast / memory hog / etc). Mind you, I cannot access details of each product tested... and I'm not going to shell out over $200 CAD to find out.
a c 395 $ Windows 7
a b è Antivirus
October 23, 2009 11:48:34 PM

KASPERSKY!!!!!!!!!!NONE BETTER!!!!!!!!!
!