Help me migrate to Win2K

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Man, after reading all these threads about how much better Windows 2000 is to Win98, I want to change my home OS to WIndows 2000 Professional. I basically go on the internet, keeping apps such as MSN Messenger, AIM, IE6, Winamp, and mp3 downloading programs running. But, stability is the most important thing I shoot for.

I just want to be able to image my OS partition, in case I do something bad in the process of tweaking, installing programs, and things of that nature. I mention this because I know that Win2K runs better using NTFS5 (I think) instead of FAT32). If anyone has Drive Image 4.0, and know the issue with Drive Image reading NTFS drives with the Caldera DOS disks, please reply as well. I have a custom boot disk built exactly like the one written <A HREF="http://content.techweb.com/winmag/columns/explorer/1999/1025.htm" target="_new">here</A>.

Anyways, I just wanted to give my computer configuration, and how it's currently set up.

<b>Current Rig:</b>
Athlon T-Bird 850 OEM
Swiftech MC370-0A (Retail)
Asus A7V133 (no audio)
256MB SDRAM CL2 (from Crucial.com Part #CT32M64S4D7E)
ATI Radeon 32MB SDRAM
Creative Labs SB Live! Value OEM
3Com 3C905B-TX-NM NIC OEM
IBM 75GXP Deskstar 30GB 7200RPM ATA100 (Bare Drive)
HP CD-Writer 9150i 8x4x32
3.5" Floppy Disk Drive (CompUSA)

<b>Current Partition Setup:</b>
1 Primary Partition
• Windows 98 SE and programs - 894MB used / 5.84GB total
2 Logical Partitions
• Documents, Download Programs, mp3s = 12.8GB used / 18.8GB total
• Windows Swap File, Drive Image images = 2.14GB used / 3.9GB total

I hope that you can help me out...

Kernel32.dll error...aw, son of a.... :eek:

Bames_Jond

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Hmmm I don't know about the "Drive Image" program you are talking about. What I do know is that the Norton Ghost 2001 is able to ghost all NTFS partitions. I use it myself. The program creates a boot disc and when you boot the computer with this it runs the Ghost Program.
The Norton Ghost program is a fast and easy to use.

My name is Jond, Bames Jond.

My ACPI incompatible network adapter killed my SB Live!

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Thanks for that reply. Lack of funds are stopping me from purchasing anything else.

Is this your sig, or is it real? I have a 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC and a SB Live...good or bad?

Bames_Jond

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
It's almost for real! :)
I did not kill it, it drove it mad though!!
Strange crackling noises, choppy sound in games, buffered music played when clicking on objects and so on. I often experienced when playing music in Winamp and then shutting the program down, the next "bing" sound from windows would contain about 2 seconds of the music I just listened to! Did anyone say strange?!?!?!? Some times a loud "click" was heard in winamp when I started playing music.
This is not much but it's very irretating. I bought a normal, (read cheap) ACPI compatible network adapter and plugged it in and all my strange noises was gone. I did not move cards around or anything else, I just replaced the NIC.
I do not have other facts than these but I think the signs are clear. When running Windows 2000 along with a SB Live! and a NIC, make sure your NIC is ACPI compatible. I have yet to see a ACPI compatible 3Com NIC ´so check your cards specs. If you experience strange noises in W2K try unplugging the NIC for a while and see what that does. If the strange sounds disappear try changing your NIC.

Good luck with migrating to W2K.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Alright, I'll check that out. Thanks!

Have you ever tested your computer at PCPitStop.com? Well, I've just tested mine there. BTW, I'm currently running Win2K. Anyways, after a full test, my graphics is at 52%, instead of being around 100% performance. Would you know the reason why? I've installed the VIA 4-in-1 drivers v4.33, DirectX 8, Win2K SP2...what gives? I've never ran a test when I first tried Win2K, but in Win98, it's at or a little over 100%. Is this normal?

Bames_Jond

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
First of all you need to run all your games in OpenGl. I guess you graphics card can do this. Second of all NEVER upgrade your DirectX driver unless it is absolutely necessary. I install a new DirectX whenever a game asks for it. Actually i think im still running 7.0a!!! :)
Did you remember to set your AGP driver in the VIA driver's to "Turbo mode".
Is it only in the test that the computer is slower or is it in games also? Do you have a lot of Kernel32.dll errors?

Regards.

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
I use win2kpro with dx 8.0.
I run games under dx with no problems to speak of.
If you are having problems with dx 8.0a its because you have an older video card that does not like dx 8.0

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
My graphics card Tech Support page tells me to install DirectX 8.0, plus the Digital Video Update. And, when I install my VIA drivers, it doesn't ask for Turbo mode.

I don't play a lot of games, but I do watch music videos every once in awhile.

The Kernel32.dll errors is a joke, cuz when I used to be on my old machine with Windows 98, my machine cheezed up a lot...LoL :smile:

Bames_Jond

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Hmmm if you do not play a lot of games, might I ask what you care if you graphics benchmark is a little lower???

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
ah via :)
make sure u have latest 4:1 drivers (install them before video)
get the agp fix --i'm not sure if that info predates sp 2 for win2k tho--.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I just would like to know that when I do play, that it'll look good...ya know? My old computer was a cheezer, and I just want this one to be the best it's supposed to be.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Oh yeah...definitely.

I installed in this order:
VIA 4-in-1 drivers (4.33 is the most recent)
DirectX 8.0
Digital Video Update for DirectX 8.0
Graphics Card drivers
NIC card drivers
RASPPPoE protocol
Win2K SP2
High Encryption

Bames_Jond

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I have learned to settle with my games running fluedly in high resolutions and with all details on. If my games does that the first 2 years I have my system I know I have bought a good machine!!! :)