antohnee

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
well im building an entirely new system, every component is new. so i was wondering, do i need an os cd to start using my computer? i have a maxtor 300gb hdd that came with a maxtor blast cd, but i dont no if and how it installs the os. should i install an os first? or is it already in the cd?

gent

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004
Well that sorta depends on what you want to do with it.
If you are happy to use it as a door-stop, then no, you don't need to install an OS. On the other hand if you want to use it as a PC, then yes you do. And 'No' the MaxBlast CD won't install it for you; you have to go and buy whatever OS you want to use.

The choice depends on what you intend to use the PC for and what the machine spec is.

And to answer your next question, 'Yes' I am having a Bad Day!

asvcs

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2005
This is really funny. You people really crack me up. To the main poster - yes you need an OS cd. A computer will not work without an OS. Just boot to the OS Cd and follow the instructions.

antohnee

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
is my ignorance the funny part? sorry for not knowing these things, the instructions that came with the hd said the cd would install windows xp for me, so i was expecting just that. but thanks anyway. also if i get an os cd from my computer teacher, will i be able to use it to install xp on my computer?

onestar

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
We forget sometimes...that what we know...everyone else may not.
You will be able to boot from any of a number of operating system cds.
After booting from the OS installation cd, it should guide you through the installation process where the Operating system is actually placed on the system hard drive. It is advisable that you acquire a legal copy of whatever OS you choose and not some teacher's copy unless it is open source.

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
Not to be rude, but if you are asking questions of this simplicity, you SHOULDN'T be building a computer. You might be able to recognize the components, but assembling a computer is more than recognizing components. I can identify components in my car, but there's NO way I'd build one, let alone repair it!

antohnee

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
i no this was was a stupid question, but the manual that came with the hd misled me since it actually said it would install windows xp, but i wanted to make sure since i didnt think it really would