Patriot vs Balistix?

rinswind

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
Hello all,
I'm considering a memory choice for an E6750 CPU on a gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R mobo.
I have two options, which differ substantially in price (from where I can get them that is):
- Tom's hardware editors choice Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2/800/CAS4 (2Gb kit)
- Crucial Ballistix DDR2/1066/CAS5 (2Gb kit)

At some point I will likely try to do a moderate OC the CPU (3Ghz+ it's quite doable right?).

So my questions are:

Should I spend 1/3 more money on the Ballistix and how much more performance it will give me in a non-OC configuration?

Which of these can I safely OC to approach the CPU FSB and will this make sence? I mean with no OC does it matter so much that the CPU runs at FSB 1333 while the memory goes on 800?

If I try to OC the CPU as well (say to 3.2 GHz) is it possible for the slower Patriot to limit my performance and make the whole endevour fruitless?

Regards,
Todor

rivalneighbour

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
the ddr2 list http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/ if you try to get the patriot PDC22G6400+LLK then you have a chance of getting "Elpida AG-6E-E" but what you want are the d9's. if you go with the crucial PC2-8500 Ballistix then you will get the d9's. wish i had benches to compare these two rams.