Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Boot
  • DVD Drives
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 28, 2007 5:11:57 PM

I just built a new computer. ASUS P5B Deluxe motherboard, Intel Core2Duo E6700, EVGA 8800GTS 640MB, 2 gigs Corsair PC6400 DDR2, 500 gigabyte Western Digital SATA hard drive, 16x Memorex DVD drive. The build went fine, and when I boot up,the machine POSTS okay. I'm able to get in to BIOS and change whatever I want (I even updated to the latest BIOS using ASUS's EZBoot 2 thing or whatever).

Unfortunately, whether or not the XP install disc is in my DVD drive, it POSTS normally and then says "Boot and Select Proper Boot Device: Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

The XP disc is in there, and I press a key, but it just pauses for a sec and prints the message again. The BIOS sees the hard drive fine, and I think it sees the DVD drive (it allows me to choose an CD drive in the boot order).

I searched on Google and apparently this has happened to a whole bunch of people for a whole bunch of different reasons, and all the people who have fixed it either don't say what they did or all did something different. Erp?

Here's what I've tried:

Change jumpers on DVD drive from "Master" to "Cable Select"
Plug DVD drive in to second slot on the IDE chain instead of the first
Replace the DVD drive with a CDRW drive that I know works
Change the boot order around (hard drive first, CD drive first, only CD drive)
Restart a whole bunch (heh)
Update motherboard BIOS to latest version
Stare at my computer with an angry look

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong? Any help would definitely be appreciated

More about : boot install windows computer

July 28, 2007 5:24:00 PM

TychoCelchuuu said:
I just built a new computer. ASUS P5B Deluxe motherboard, Intel Core2Duo E6700, EVGA 8800GTS 640MB, 2 gigs Corsair PC6400 DDR2, 500 gigabyte Western Digital SATA hard drive, 16x Memorex DVD drive. The build went fine, and when I boot up,the machine POSTS okay. I'm able to get in to BIOS and change whatever I want (I even updated to the latest BIOS using ASUS's EZBoot 2 thing or whatever).

Unfortunately, whether or not the XP install disc is in my DVD drive, it POSTS normally and then says "Boot and Select Proper Boot Device: Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

The XP disc is in there, and I press a key, but it just pauses for a sec and prints the message again. The BIOS sees the hard drive fine, and I think it sees the DVD drive (it allows me to choose an CD drive in the boot order).

I searched on Google and apparently this has happened to a whole bunch of people for a whole bunch of different reasons, and all the people who have fixed it either don't say what they did or all did something different. Erp?

Here's what I've tried:

Change jumpers on DVD drive from "Master" to "Cable Select"
Plug DVD drive in to second slot on the IDE chain instead of the first
Replace the DVD drive with a CDRW drive that I know works
Restart a whole bunch (heh)
Update motherboard BIOS to latest version
Stare at my computer with an angry look

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong? Any help would definitely be appreciated

Quote:

Go into BIOS and select your DVD/CD ROM as 'the first boot device' . Place the windows xp cd in the tray. Save and exit. Upon restart, Press any key to boot form the CD disk when prompted.
July 28, 2007 5:27:29 PM

Yeah, the CD rom is the first boot device and the XP disc is in there. I press any key and it just repeats "Boot and Select Proper Boot Device: Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."
Related resources
July 28, 2007 5:35:46 PM

I'm not sure, but when you loaded a new BIOS, something may have gone wrong...speculating on my part. I would try and default the BIOS. To reset the CMOS jumper...unplug the power supply. Remove the battery and reset the CMOS jumper. I don't know, maybe a BIOS reset will solve it.
July 28, 2007 5:37:28 PM

This same thing was happening before I updated the BIOS. I flashed the mobo to see if that would fix anything, but it didn't.

Edit: Yeah, I found that link that you posted and I read it yesterday. The guy writes "Alright bios finally read from the cdrom, formatted and installed the first section of windows." If my computer would do that I wouldn't have a problem :D 

He didn't mention if he did anything, so it's not really helpful on his part. Oh well.
July 28, 2007 5:43:53 PM

Just a stab in the dark. be sure your SATA HD is connected to one of the 'common' SATA plug ins on the mb and not one of the 'special' SATA controllers. If your DVD player is and IDE, maybe change the IDE cable and be sure the jumper is set to 'master'.
July 28, 2007 5:45:30 PM

Yeah, the hard drive's connected to one of the normal SATA plugins. I disabled the JMicron RAID controller just in case that was messing anything up. The DVD player is IDE, and neither master nor cable select work. I also swapped the IDE cable and that didn't do anything.
July 28, 2007 5:48:52 PM

Hmmm. I have the P5B Deluxe running for many months. No such problem. Could be a bad MB. Get a speaker hooked to the MB front panel speaker. Remove ALL the RAM and boot. If the board does not beep signifying there is no RAM in the system, the board is bad. But...you can get in BIOS? Vey puzzeling. I am just speculating.
July 28, 2007 7:23:20 PM

dont know if this would work, anyways disconnect your hdd and boot with the dvd rom with the winxp cd in it. if this doesnt work, then i think u should insert any other windows cd, maybe the cd has some problems with the dvd rom. try it.
July 28, 2007 7:26:16 PM

I tried a Windows 98 CD, it had the same problem. I'm going to burn a Knoppix Live CD later and try that out. Thanks for the tips so far guys.
July 28, 2007 7:37:33 PM

I am using the latest non beta BIOS on my P5B Deluxe. I'm not at that computer today. In the BIOS, there is a 'secondary' BOOT selection area where you must select the hard drive you want to boot to. In my case, I have 3 hard drives with two OSs. I have to select the hard drive that has the boot loader, etc. as the 'first HD' in order to boot the system into either of the hard drives.

Now, if you can find that BIOS setting (I would direct you to it if I was home today) it could be that a USB device is selected as the first drive there and the system is searching for that USB drive you loaded the new BIOS with. Look around for that 'secondary' selector in BIOS and choose you HD there also.
July 28, 2007 7:45:26 PM

In the BIOS, I had the option of setting the USB device as a drive to boot from, but I disabled that. I can also hit F8 during POST to get a list of boot devices to choose from; it only shows my hard drive, though, not my DVD drive. This would suggest something's wrong with the drive, but since the CDRW drive I also tried didn't work, I'm not really sure.
July 28, 2007 7:56:39 PM

Yeah, I use the F8 sometime to choose which HD I want to boot from. That F8 feature is the 'secondary' area I was referring to in BIOS. Because my boot file, etc. is on my HD with Vista, I have to select that HD in that area. If I select my second HD with Win XP in that area, the computer will not let me boot. I can boot from either HD as long as I set that area of BIOS as I said. I had no problem at all setting up my system with 3 hard drives, etc.
July 28, 2007 9:15:20 PM

Does your CD drive show up in that list at all, or is it only for hard drives?
July 28, 2007 9:18:40 PM

I'm not entirely certain, but I 'think' possibly the CD drives are there also. You know, I can't remember right off hand. Did you say you swapped out DVD/CD drives you are trying to boot from?
July 28, 2007 9:21:41 PM

I swapped the DVD drive for a CD/RW that's working fine in another computer and the same thing happened.
July 28, 2007 9:23:15 PM

Have you checked the ASUS forums under P5B-Deluxe? You might find a post directly related to the issue. There are a couple of guys on that forum that appear to know everything about the board. Amazing.
July 28, 2007 9:25:20 PM

Haha, I haven't been able to FIND the forums in that junky site of theirs. Mostly I poked around fo ra while and found like 800 revisions of the BIOS that I don't need anyways. I'll head over there now.
July 28, 2007 9:25:48 PM

What about the IDE settings in BIOS? The SATA settings? I din't have any problem like you are having. I was running a C2D 6600 now I have a q6600 for many months. Works beautiful.
July 28, 2007 9:31:47 PM

TychoCelchuuu said:
Haha, I haven't been able to FIND the forums in that junky site of theirs. Mostly I poked around fo ra while and found like 800 revisions of the BIOS that I don't need anyways. I'll head over there now.

Here is the ASUS product page. The support link is down right now. Just click on DOWNLOADS and then forum. There's a guy named like sputnik or something, his avatar is a spacewalker in a spacesuit, He knows EVERYTHING. he can solve the problem. LOL! There is nothing He can't do with that board.

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=307&l4=0&model=1295&modelmenu=1
July 28, 2007 9:33:25 PM

The SATA is set to run as an IDE drive. It detects the SATA drive fine and everything, but it seems like the hard drive shouldn't even be an issue at all since I just want to boot from my XP disc at this point.

I'll try the ASUS boards. Thanks for the link. Their website uses Flash or something; kind of annoying to navigate.
July 28, 2007 9:33:31 PM

TychoCelchuuu said:

Here's the P5B-Deluxe forum link. Find tha guy in the spacesuit avatar and ask him. He knows! LOL!

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5B+Deluxe&board_id=1
July 28, 2007 9:46:15 PM

Check ide cable connected correct way round at motherboard. When you try to boot from CD does the drive activity light come on. Try an IDE hard drive on it to see if the ide interface is working. The ide interface IS enabled?

Mike.
July 28, 2007 10:04:24 PM

The IDE cable's connected the right way, as far as I can tell (it definitely only fits one way so I hope that's the right way :D  )

There's no drive activity when I try to boot from the CD, I think, but the light does flash a bit when I turn the computer on and all the connections look good. I don't have a spare IDE hard drive available to try; is there some other way to check to see if the interface is active?
July 29, 2007 10:00:50 PM

RMA the motherboard. You said the CDRW works on another system, just try using the cable from the other system as well.

Mike.
July 29, 2007 11:07:12 PM

Okay, for the record and for anyone who has this problem in the future, I FINALLY fixed it. Here's how:

The DVD drive wasn't working for booting, and neither was the CDRW drive that worked in another computer, so eventually I plugged both the DVD drive AND the CDRW in (DVD set to master, CDRW set to slave, DVD in the top part of the IDE cable, CDRW the bottom). I set the JMicron controller to IDE, and it was able to recognize both drives perfectly. Go figure.

Thanks for your help, guys!
July 29, 2007 11:09:55 PM

Good!
July 31, 2007 5:32:30 PM

Anyone have a clue as to WHY this may have worked? I only ask because I am having the exact same problem with my first build, using a ASUS p5k model motherboard and a Sony NEC Optiarc DVD drive(http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...). I don't really have a spare CDRW laying around although I guess I could get my hands on one.

I set the correct boot order and changed back and forth from cable select and master setting. Still getting that damn "Boot and Select Proper Boot Device: Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key." message when trying to boot from XP or Vista. The activity light goes on but then it simply gives up and displays the message again.

One thing that I do find strange is that in the Boot Order Menu it shows both a NEC Optiarc DVD drive and a ATAPI CD drive, even though I only have the single DVD drive installed (it is ATAPI though). Is it somehow reading my DVD drive twice? I've tried disabling one or the other and setting both with boot priority. No luck.

Any ideas/solutions guys, besides attempting what Tycho did and hoping for the best?
a b B Homebuilt system
July 31, 2007 6:00:55 PM

I think it may be because in an early post he says he disabled the JMicron controller. If it is handling the IDE drives, that would make them invisible.
In your case, since you are seeing an activity LED, your drive may be bad. Is the disk readable in another PC? Can you put in a different drive?
July 31, 2007 6:01:00 PM

Dude same thing happened to my fiancee's grandfather's Dell

windows got corrupted, couldn't boot from disk drive, walk through all BIOS steps {over the phone: TOOK FOREVER}, got everything configured and NOTHING

he sent it in to Dell, they fixed it by swapping stuff.

do you have any other optical drives you could try? {shot in the dark}
darn jtt283, you said it first, your always 5 seconds ahead of the game.
July 31, 2007 6:28:56 PM

The Vista and XP disks work fine in other PCs, so I guess it could be the drive.

I do have two drives sitting in my Dell XPS, so I guess I can take one of those out and slap it in my new system, just to see if that works.
July 31, 2007 8:46:02 PM

Okay, I tried the DVD drive from my XPS and it worked just fine in my new system so I guess I can assume that I just purchased a bad drive from newegg. Gahhhh. Guess I'm making a trip to microcenter today. Thanks guys.
!