Your question

Can someone explain how 2 HDs in raid 0 and 1 storage hard drive work

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Storage
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in Storage
September 17, 2007 12:45:08 AM

ok for my new pc i was thinking of getting 2 raptor x hard drives in raid 0, and then one 1 tb hard drive for storage. I have never really understood how this works. Do i have to install an os on each hard drive or rather on the raid array and then the storage hard drive or?
also im always told how raid 0 and having a fast hard drive speeds up your pc but how exactly does it do that when the files arent stored on the fast hard drives? would i save games to the raid array and like 3dmark for example?? and then movies, music, and all that on the storage drive??

sorry i really dont understand how that works, can someone please give me a detailed explanation, thanks :) 

More about : explain hds raid storage hard drive work

September 17, 2007 1:40:05 AM

Can you do EVERYONE a favor? Use this link! Searches are SO much faster and better than typing a question and waiting for a bunch of people to get a response.

http://www.google.com

search for:

"explain RAID 0"

you'll get a great list of sites, including the very first one!

http://www.melbpc.org.au/pcupdate/2306/2306article6.htm

It explains everything about HOW the data is stored.

After that,you should understand everything you need to know. If you still have questions after reading that website above feel free to ask away and I'll answer them. :) 

No, this wasn't meant as a flame post. Just a "use the search please" post.
September 17, 2007 2:10:47 AM

If you don't know what Raid 0 does or is, you shouldn't attempt to make one. Raid 0 isn't for everyone and you need to understand the pros and cons before you go ahead an do it.

I agree with the above post. Do some easy research on the subject and then go from there.
Related resources
September 17, 2007 2:20:33 AM

I was considering answering, but I agree.
Go read about RAID.
September 17, 2007 3:57:44 AM

You must have money to burn.

A RAID 0 ( or AID 0 since there is no redundency) array will show up as one drive (2 150Gb raptors = 1 300Gb RAID 0 drive), the data is "striped" on the 2+ hard drives in the array. RAID 0 is useful for large file transfers (photo/video editing, encoding, ...), problem is if one of your RAID 0 drives fail all data is lost due to the fact that the files are "fragmented" or "striped" across all drives in the array. If you only use your PC to do word processing, web surfing, play solitare... RAID 0 is not for you. In gaming, maps will load a little faster but you will generally not notice a differance between RAID 0 and 0 RAID(lol). If you do decide to go with a RAID 0 array MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP OFTEN!!!

RAID 0 is something few everyday desktop computers will take advantage of. It has it's uses and gaming is not one of them, sorry to dissapoint you. If you do a lot of audio/video encoding or photoshop work you will see big differances over a single drive.

Google and WIKI will give you more info as others have stated.
a b G Storage
September 19, 2007 7:10:42 AM

My advice is to just have 1 Raptor and set up a RAID 1 array using two 1TB HDDs to store your data if your data is really important to you.

A RAID 1 array is a mirror, whatever is written or deleted on one hard drive will be done on the other. With capacities growing larger people are simply storing more data on their PCs. What would be your reaction if your 1TB drive totally fails and you cannot recover your data?

I plan on setting up a RAID 1 array in my next HTPC using two 1TD drives and then adding another two 1TD drives when the first pair is nearly full. The HTPC will store all my movies in either DivX or H.264 format and all my music will be saved as FLAC files.

If I were to store all my data on one drive, and it fails my loss would not be catastrophic since I own all the original material. However, that would mean I would need to spend 100's of hours to re-encode everything

January 9, 2013 7:35:25 PM

cyberjock said:
Can you do EVERYONE a favor? Use this link! Searches are SO much faster and better than typing a question and waiting for a bunch of people to get a response.

No, this wasn't meant as a flame post. Just a "use the search please" post.

It's funny you say that, as I did exactly that and this was the 2nd hit I got.
a c 426 G Storage
January 10, 2013 11:34:32 AM

jaguarskx said:
With capacities growing larger people are simply storing more data on their PCs. What would be your reaction if your 1TB drive totally fails and you cannot recover your data?

This is why even with RAID, you need to make backups. RAID will not protect you from accidental file deletetions or viruses/malware.