Tuniq Tower 120 Cooler - Question

Nightowl0707

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
I just had a Tuniq Tower 120 delivered and have a question. Only three of the heatpipes (out of six) look like they were formed correctly and actually go all the way to the top of the cooler. The other three look like they never finished forming in the mold—they look like the metal just ran out so there are three melted “half stems” that you can see instead of the end of the pipe because there wasn’t enough metal to finish them.

Could someone please tell me what their unit looks like in this respect as I still have time to return it before all the parts get here.

Thanks.

EDIT: I mistakenly wrote "four" instead of "three". Correction has been made...

CtrlAltDel

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
In my Tuniq Tower I have something similar. Half of the heatpipe ends looked a bit weird. I decided to give it a try, and seems to work just fine. I guess it is about how "short" your heatpipes are, for me they are just some millimeters too short and missing the copper colored ends.

Nightowl0707

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007

I shined a flashlight into the holes and the “full diameter” of the pipe stops about a half-inch from the top on three of them. From that point on less than half of the pipe continues up to the top plate without any copper whatsoever.

Mine looks like the one pictured below (from a review by xbitlabs).

http://tinyurl.com/2o5zyk

I guess the “defect in manufacturing” look is “normal” and probably won’t affect performance.

Thanks to those that responded.