Video Problems - Is it the card or the PCI-E slot?

kyosuke

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Hey Everyone,

Maybe someone can help me out.
I tried to turn on my other system earlier and my monitor wouldn't come on. I've had the system for about 6 months now and everything has worked perfectly.
I at first thought it was my monitor, but then tested it on another PC and it worked just fine.
So I figure it has to be the video card, but I'm not sure. I tried unplugging the video card/plugging it back in. I tried using both DVI slots on the video card and even tried moving it to the other PCI-E slot on my PC. Nothing worked to make it display on the screen. - Everything else on the PC seems to be starting up ok, etc...

The Video card does get power because the fan comes on, etc.. I just get no display signal to my monitor.

I am trying to figure out if it's the video card itself or possibly the PCI-E slot on my motherboard. Since I tried both PCI-E slots, I doubt it's that, but have no way to be sure since technically a single video card is supposed to be plugged into the first slot.

Is there anything I can do to figure it out? I have no other PCs in the house with PCI-E slots, so it's hard to say.

Would my best bet be to RMA it to XFX? and see what happens if they fix it/send me a new one, or?

I am at a loss and a bit frustrated right now. Any helpful ideas would be great.

I have tested all power connectors, other hardware and it seems to all function except for the video signal. So?

Thanks very much in advance!!!

P.S. - not that it matters, but it's an XFX 7900GS

wingsofzion

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Is your monitor turned on? No just kidding. Hmm, i had this issue before. My only choice was to RMA the card since i had no other PC that had a PCI x 16 slot for me to test the card on. Sucks but thats your only option to isolate the problem to either the board or the card. Unless ya got a buddy who'll let ya test your card on thier system for a quick minute to see if the card is working.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you don't have a friend with a PCI X 16 video card, you could see if there is a local store that sells video cards and doesn't have a restocking fee. Buy a card and then return it. Otherwise, you'll have to send the card back.

kyosuke

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Yeah, at this point my best bet is seeming to be to RMA. I just have to wait til Monday though when XFX has their support staff back in.... and then however long it takes them to get it/get me one back. Ugh, I have a feeling I won't be gaming for a month here.