Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • EVGA
  • PCI
  • Modding
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 2, 2007 9:57:47 AM

Hi all is there anyone out who seen or heard of anyone modding their 8800gtx so it only take up x1 slot. At the rear the PCI PLATE takes up two pci slots now i havetried to get hold of a single pci dual DVi pcb mounted plate. I was intending to fix the single plate onto the 8800gtx card and slip in a thin watercooling plate would this work and where can i get the bits from has someone else already tried this.

The other method is to grind off the vent slot using a dremmel but favour the above method..

Any help apprcaited

More about : evga 8800gtx modding

August 2, 2007 10:16:52 AM

Never heard about some one doing anything similar before. Probably for good reason.

Graphics cards are very sensitive, carefully constructed pieces of hardware, I wouldnt go around mucking around with them. Besides I assume you intend to do this so you can plop in another Pcie card of some sort right next to it? I would be worried about heat problems then.

Good luck either way, do post your results!!!
August 2, 2007 11:31:09 AM

Try it and let us know how it went.
Related resources
August 2, 2007 12:48:07 PM

Yeah, make sure you show us the pictures of the PCB fractured down the middle :) 
August 2, 2007 6:35:54 PM

hi gang the easy option is to unsolder the dual pci backplate thats quite easy buy i dont know where to get the plate from. Someone must make them coz BFG watercooled card has one
August 2, 2007 8:18:22 PM

look for some one who has a busted single slot graphics card and swap what you need from that one?

If this was one week ago I could have helped you, I threw away a dead 7300
August 3, 2007 8:03:00 PM

AAArDvArk good idea i didnt think of that :) 
August 3, 2007 8:35:45 PM

chitchat said:
Hi all is there anyone out who seen or heard of anyone modding their 8800gtx so it only take up x1 slot. At the rear the PCI PLATE takes up two pci slots now i havetried to get hold of a single pci dual DVi pcb mounted plate. I was intending to fix the single plate onto the 8800gtx card and slip in a thin watercooling plate would this work and where can i get the bits from has someone else already tried this.

The other method is to grind off the vent slot using a dremmel but favour the above method..

Any help apprcaited

Danger Den used to sell a water block for the GTX, I almost ordered two until I read the reviews whereby the performance of the watered cooled compared to the air cooled wasn't any different but they would have been single slot. Warranty would have been voided though. Evga also already sells the black pearl water cooled single slot GTX's and Ultra's with warranty. Just sell yours and upgrade to one of those if you really want a single slot.
August 3, 2007 8:36:05 PM

AAArDvArK said:
Never heard about some one doing anything similar before. Probably for good reason.

Graphics cards are very sensitive, carefully constructed pieces of hardware, I wouldnt go around mucking around with them. Besides I assume you intend to do this so you can plop in another Pcie card of some sort right next to it? I would be worried about heat problems then.

Good luck either way, do post your results!!!

oh i agree with this a lot. why do you want to mess with the 600 dollar thing in the first place. you might void your warranty or worse break it.

question: how much would a broken 8800gtx go in the market today?
August 8, 2007 9:54:19 AM

Yeah your right! but i wanted access to my motherboard slots these card are very thick but i upgraded my motherboard to gigabyte 680sli dq6 so now i have spare pice and pci 16 so think i can use these many thanks folks :) 
August 22, 2007 2:31:00 AM

Warezme: thats not true.
My rig has 2 BFG watercooled 8800GTX's (SLI) and they run about 60-70c under full load which is 20 degrees cooler (i.e . a LOT cooler) than air-cooled cards.

The main benefit for me is that my rig is a LOT quieter too.
August 22, 2007 8:31:51 AM

I stuck a Thermalright HR.03-PLUS on my 8800GTX in my new system. Because you can wrap it around the card so the heatsink sits on top rather than below, I still have access to all the slots below the graphics card (although the PCIe-x1 slot above the card is now blocked).
August 22, 2007 12:26:44 PM

niz said:
Warezme: thats not true.
My rig has 2 BFG watercooled 8800GTX's (SLI) and they run about 60-70c under full load which is 20 degrees cooler (i.e . a LOT cooler) than air-cooled cards.

The main benefit for me is that my rig is a LOT quieter too.

yes they will run much cooler, I was interested in higher performance as opposed to being cooler. My case already has to many fans even though the CPU is water cooled to be "quiet" so I wouldn't benefit much from that but you most likely have a much quiter case layout. I personally couldn't justify the higher water block heatsink cost and similar overclock potential compared to the stock air cooler.

(edit) I just noticed your load temps??? With the fan on 100% my Evga's idle at 52C and 65C to 70C under load so there isn't much differnce there either?
August 22, 2007 12:54:39 PM

you haven't considered airflow and room temp. For all we know he could be in a 35-40oC room with poor airflow/almost no fans. While you have a good case on a 25oC room.
!