Slipstream XP SP3

This is my first attempt at slipstreaming, but it seems straight forward enough, but I cannot get it to work.

1. I copied all Folders & Files from Windows XP Installation CD to C:\xpcd

2. I then downloaded SP3 from Microsoft Website and saved as e:\WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

3. Using the RUN Command: e:\WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe -s:c:\xpcd
I also ran this from the DOS Prompt, resulting in the same problem.

4. The process starts, I get an Unknown Publisher msg on the SP3 file I downloaded from Microsoft !

5. When I select RUN it begins extracting files from I386, but I get the dreaded Red X Box saying "Extraction failed - File is Corrupt" - I have run step 3 many many times, sometimes it stops on the same file, other times it stops on a different file.

I assume the I386 Folder came from my Windows CD, but how could those files be corrupt?

PS: I did a drag & drop of the files from the Windows CD to my E: Drive, Would this matter ?

Any suggestions will be greatly Appreciated.

Thank you for your suggestion. I used nlite in my latest attempt to slipstream. It located my hard drive copy of my CD Installation disk, but when I pointed it to the downloaded SP3 file (from Microsoft Site), and it began extracting, it aborted with the same corrupt file error.

Ok, I had success with nlite, and the sp3 file I downloaded from Microsoft.

I was using a backup Computer to do the Integration, as I always do when working with unknowns, so I do not screw up my Primary system. Anyhow. I had the External Drive that contains the SP3 file, on a USB 1.0 port because it does not have a 2.0 Hub. It is a USB 2.0 drive.

I bit the bullet and put everything on the Primary Computer with 2.0 Port for the external drive, cranked up nlite, and slipstream ran to Successful Completion.

My next Question: Do I burn the new setup CD using the folder C:\XPSETUP,
which I assume is where nlite put it .

Thanks again for all your help.

Ken

You're welcome, glad you got it. "Search" for a large recent file on your computer (~600MB). As I recall, nLite let's you choose where to put the ISO file it created, I don't know the default location.

I use Nero (you can use whatever software you have) to "burn the image" (ISO) to a CD - that makes it boot from the CD - after you've set the BIOS to boot first to the CD.

Hey, Thanks again for all your help, but one more question, just popped into my mind.

When I downloaded SP3 from Microsoft, I downloaded the Developer/Tech Version, which I believe has all bells & whistles for multiple Computers networked, and is a much larger file. I could not seem to find the download file for a single PC. The CD I created with (imgburn) is bootable and brings up the XP setup Menu. Can I use this to Install to a single PC or Laptop, or should I d/l from where you mentioned, CPUZ for the single Computer Version ?

And, I found the Updated Installation file was in the Folder I initially created to hold the files/folders from my Installation CD. It did not create a separate output folder.

Again, Many Thanks !

see above
You did the work! Have a Great Day!