Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Unable to Boot from CD/DVD and USB! What to Do?

Last response: in Windows 7
August 17, 2011 7:48:51 AM

Hi,

Recently I added some RAM to my desktop PC. It worked all fine. Don't know if adding the RAM has anything to do with my issue but anyway. Later on I decided to switch from Win XP to Win 7. Made a bootable USB using Novicorp WinToFlash 0.7.0018 beta, managed to boot from USB and proceeded with Windows 7 Setup but it kept giving an error at the same point over and over again. After a few unsuccessful attempts, when the setup stopped halfway through, I decided to go for a last try but then, all of a sudden, I was unable to boot neither from USB nor from bootable CD I had close-by. The system just stopped at a black screen saying:

Verifying DMI Pool Data .........
BOOTMGR is missing

It's quite an old machine, from 2004. Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-7VA (AMD socket A processor motherboard) (KT400A motherboard). There is a CD-RW, floppy, and USB ports. As of now I cannot boot using a CD or a USB disk. I guess, in this regard, the floppy is not much useful.

By pressing 'delete' shortly after reboot I can enter 'CMOS Setup Utility' and there enter 'Standard CMOS features', 'Advanced BIOS features', as well as other settings, but none of all helped me manage make the system boot once again from CD or USB. Also I can ehter 'Q-Flash Utility v1.33' and there I see 'Flash Type/Size .............. WINBOND 49F002U 256K' as well as 3 other options:

1. Keep DMI Data (This feature could be enabled or disabled. By default it's enabled and when I try to disable it I fail because I cannot save my choice, because all I could do then is press F10 and thus power off the computer, which does not save my choice and later retrieves the system to the old state where Keep DMI Data is again enabled)

2. Update BIOS from Floppy

3. Save BIOS to Floppy

After plenty of unsuccessful attempt and meddling with all setting in CMOS Setup Utility I am still unable to boot neither from CD nor from a USB. Funny thing is that I have managed before to boot an OS setup from both the USB and CD on this very same machine, and now all of a sudden it just won't work.

To be honest I got no idea what else to try. Any help would be muchly appreciated.

More about : unable boot dvd usb

August 17, 2011 8:13:37 AM

Just wanted to add that parallel to my desktop PC I had my notebook where I tried the bootable USB and CD and they did work there so that's apparently not what's causing the problem.

One last thing that comes to my mind now is that I could see that I might be able to change the 'IDE Primary Master' which as far as I could see was the primary HDD. Eventually I could use an external HDD and try and set that one as a primary HDD and try to install the OS there. Thus check if it's the HDD's fault.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
August 17, 2011 8:17:45 AM

Reset your BIOS take out the RAM you have installed setup window 7 install the RAM again and run Memtest.

I had to put bold words in to i couldnt help my self! lol
Related resources
August 17, 2011 8:22:20 AM

fowang said:
Reset your BIOS take out the RAM you have installed setup window 7 install the RAM again and run Memtest.

I had to put bold words in to i couldnt help my self! lol

Hahaha! :) )) Sounds fair enough, but how do I reset the BIOS?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 17, 2011 8:34:54 AM

take the cmos battery out, you should be asked to set time and date, at this point you should set boot device priority.

also replace the bat ;) 
m
l
August 17, 2011 3:03:43 PM

fowang said:
take the cmos battery out, you should be asked to set time and date, at this point you should set boot device priority.

also replace the bat ;) 

OK, it wasn't even necessary to take out any batteries and stuff. All I did was that I left only the new RAM chip (guess leaving the old one would have worked too but just decided to have the newer and bigger one on). Afterwards BIOS said Veryfying DMI pool data .... Update successful, and then I was able to boot from USB once again.

Thanks a lot! :) 
m
l
August 25, 2011 4:55:43 AM

Best answer selected by stamenvalchev.
m
l
!