Turbo9911

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
Hi there,
I'm looking at buying a new PC shortly, and will probably get a 2.4ghz Quad.
Currently I'm thinking about getting a 8800 Ultra, but I am planning to upgrade to the G92 as soon as the games start to not keep up (I'm assuming that DX10 loads will mean a shortish shelf life).
I had heard that these cards were due out at the end of the year, but will there arrival result in me having to junk my new motherboard? If I had to get a new one, would I also have to replace the CPU (or ram???)?
Also does anyone know if the G92's are likely to support DX10.1?

Or is this just the wrong time to be buying a PC, is the smart money on waiting for the new cards to come out first (I've decided that the G92's are my line in the sand, I don't want to get caught in the trap of forever waiting for the next technology that's only 3 months away).

Many thanks!

Lots of question, heres a few answers. PCI-2 is coming out, and so is Phenom and Penryn (cpu) You wont have to junk the motherboard if you bought now. All the newer mobos are backwards compatable, so youll be fine. Just buy now, youll be able to upgrade AMD or Intel, and the GFX should be fine. You may get more performance by waiting, thats progress, but you wont be playing any games tho

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Nvidia cards are stated for a yearly cycle. There will be a g92 release this year between october and december. probably november considering crysis is a december launch. Current DX10 hardware really can't push DX10 games..so it is a must for crysis. It was also stated back a number of months ago in a interview from nvidia that the g92 would be released towards the end of the year. The g92 will first launch it's high end card. With a few months after (Q1/Q2 2008) releasing the mid range cards.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

No, you wouldn't have to.

Just make sure you get a decent dual core CPU and you'll be fine for a good while on that front.
Graphics cards are a different beast - we won't know how the current crop will perform in DX10 until UT2007 / Crysis come out (November / December). If you get an 8800GTX it will probably be able to run these games fairly well, but very well? The jury is out. And it is not even clear that whatever comes out to replace these cards will be leagues better. If I was you I would buy the best you can.

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
dont buy the quad unless you really really need it. They run very hot. Seriously. Core temps on an E6600 OCed to 3.2GHz are 28/29 degrees at idle. Core temps on a Q6600 with no OC are 55/48/49/54 at idle. They both jump about 18 degrees under load.