Ati Catalyst 7.8 beta increases performance of all Radeons...

Jakc

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
A reply from someone using the drivers:
Ok interesting they fixed the AA performance hit, at least in Css as far as I know... Here's my tests with this driver and the 7.7 drivers at 1440x900 all maxed...

4xAA - 177 fps
8xAA - 153 fps

7.8 beta
4xAA - 198 fps
8xAA - 182 fps

Whats interesting is that if you look and see 8x AA in these drivers runs faster than 4xAA in the old drivers--- and these are only beta drivers, so Awesome job Amd/Ati!!!

I have them for the 2900XT. Seems to have done quite a bit. Oblivion runs a few FPS faster with AA. The card also uses more power/runs hotter. There may still be hope for this card :lol:

I would have waited for the real drivers too, they should be out late-August if everything goes well. I wanted to get them now because I am going to college in a couple of weeks (w/o my 2900XT), so I wouldn't get to use the better drivers. At the rate these drivers are improving, when I come back thanksgiving/christmas this card should be really awesome :lol:

paladin13

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
At least someone is improving drivers...
AMD/ATI did a great job once again and more is expected!
X2900XT has improved a lot the past two months just by releasing new drivers!
Not to mention that the AA / AF problem seems to be dramatically improved! AA/AF performance is now at hgh levels!
Well done ATI/AMD!

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Now all they need to do is bring out a 65nm version and we have one super card!!

If it came out id probably upgrade to it, since its need for energy and giving out heat are its 2 main weaknessess. 65nm might even be able to bring it down to double digits!

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
KICK ***! I am off to get them RIGHT NOW!

Hopefully they added a even a tiny bit of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Support.

This card ROCKS.

7.8 W007 w00t woo7!

i don't think the x1000 performance moved at all DAAMIT has bigger fish to fry right now and the x2 series are only half cooked as far as i can see, cause i love the card but errors in stalker like screwed text and vpu errors that don't actually affect anything do get irritating. FINALLY I CAN USE 24X AA YAY! YAY! YAY!

Observe the happiness of my post!

A
W
E
S
O
M
E
!!!!!!!! one eleven!1! one hundered and eleven !!1111!!! exclamation mark !!.

Now i just need to find a .torrent with the beta....

Jakc

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Yes performance improvements have been noticed for older ATI hardware as well, allthough those improvements are minor compared to the improvements people see in the HD2000 family.

Just google search 7.8 Beta and plenty of legit sites will have the drivers (like the sites JustJC linked to).

The drivers were "leaked" on purpose, probably because they were so good and nearly done.