What is going on with Q6600 prices?

srbruno

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
Sorry for my ignorance in this field... I have my theory but I'm sure there is something more to it.

Since Sunday I've been religiously checking various websites for the latest prices on the Q6600. Newegg had it at $350, then down to $289 then back up to $370, now as I write this, its listed at $339.

NCIX didn't update their prices until Wednesday I believe, and it was a cool $289 CAD, a day later its now up to $339 CAD.

Stay away from Atic.ca, they have it listed for $354.96 CAD!

My theory is that theses guys are buying in different bulk quantities, therefore adjusting accordingly to offset costs? But so fast? What are the duties or what-have-you that are payed for imported components into Canada, because with the exchange rate being so low, they are still marking up the prices by about $10 - $15?

Or - Are they just trying to offload their B3 stepping chips? But if thats the case, why not sell those for cheap?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Business Model?

dldude

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
They knew people wanted to buy Q6600s, and they knew the could make some money off of it. Also, I have a hunch they were low on stock when the prices dropped (seeing as they couldnt actually buy a Q6600 for $266 until July 23rd), thus they have to make money on the stock they already bought for $500. Annoying? Yes, because we all expected 270-280. I cant blame them toooo much, it's just more surprising that they keep changing the price instead of keeping it at an even say... $330 (which is high but ssssooommmeeewhat reasonable).

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
its not q660o its newegg!

newegg is over rated but still the best - i sure hope we get some clones since their prices are not that low!

newegg throttles the prices - like netflicks did with dvd's - they get million hits and the stock is low they raise the price