Need assistance cooling C2D on Gigabyte 965P-DS3

johnny g

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
Hello,

I am running an E6420 (@ 2133MHz) on the GA-965P-DS3, in a NZXT Apollo case. Today I installed a SILVERSTONE FM121 fan for exhaust, and the stock for intake.

Core 1 idle: 35C
Core 2 idle: 37C

After 42 seconds with an Orthos test (small FFTs), it gets up to 50C. I would like to start OCing this system, and I am not sure what to do. I thought installing the new fan would help with the cooling but I guess not.

Thanks for the assistance!! Us noobs appreciate it!

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Need more info:
what is your CPU core voltage set at?
What HS are you using? Stock?
what is your room temp?

35-37C seems a bit high for idle. But its not rediculously high. When my room warms up I idle at about 30C

When your load temps get over 50C your barely starting to get warm but nothing to worry about. Once you break 60C, well your still not "critical" but you definatley wanna keep an eye on it. If your on stock cooling expect your load temps to be at or around 60 or so. Since you want to OC I would highly recommend aftermarket HS. If your on a budget a Freezer 7 Pro can be had for under $30. A Scyth SCNJ 1100P can be had for about $40. And straight up top end HS's go for $50-65. Personally My Ill put my lapped ninja up against anyones stock 65 dollar heatsink anyday. Of course I did spend about $5 at ace hardware buying 1ea. of 200, 400, and 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper for lapping and a set of brass nuts and screws for the pressure mount. But I am also running passive. Ok Im just bragging now but you get the point. For me its worth the couple hours I spent lapping and pressure mounting to save $20-30. I got the time, so time and elbow grease costs me nothing. I put that extra $20-30 into other hardware.

As for Orthos, that what I use for loads and stability testing. The CPU stress is good to make sure your HS is mounted properly but if you want to see what your "real world" usage temps will be like then just run the blend test. Blend actually runs me 4-5C higher then when Im gaming hard. Which puts me at a temp of about 42-45C. But I have a lapped ninja and it took a solid 10C off my load temps.

johnny g

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
Thank you for the reply!

My CPU voltage is set to normal in the bios, which is "1.32500V".

I ended up running the test for 10 minutes with SmallFFTs, and it read:
Temp 1: 32C
Temp 2: 50C
Core 1: 54C
Core 2: 53C

My room temp: 23C

I was a little surprised to see temp 2 so high, being I thought I had good airflow. Does anyone know where that sensor would be on my motherboard? Also, at what temperature should I become concerned?

What I think I will do is remove the original thermal grease from the HS and put some Arctic Silver 5 on there. If that doesn't give me the improvements I'd like, then I think I will invest in a Freezer 7 Pro. I was under the impression from some reviews that I read that the stock HS was better than the results I am seeing.

Thanks for the assistance little_scrapper, this is my first build :)

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
First off, Core 0/1 temps are fine. 55C is perfectly normal operating temp. Technically your not even running "hot until you get up around/over 70C. Shutdown temps isnt until 83-85C.

I believe Temp2 is the NB or motherboard temp and the NB gets very hot. But that is also normal for the DS3 and many other boards. If you want to run your NB alot cooler direct a fan towards it. It doesnt take much air to keep that HS only warm to the touch as opposed to normal temp which burns your finger after about 2 seconds of touching it.