Sign in with
Your question

Recommendations for a new (Modular) PSU

Last response: in Components
July 27, 2007 3:30:28 AM

Hiya folks.. I'm looking to buy myself a new power supply for my next upgrade. As is, my system has five hard drives, an Opteron 170, 2 GB of RAM, an X-Fi Xtrememusic and a 7900 GT which runs perfectly under my 600W PSU. However, this PSU will be moved over to another case along with the memory, processor, motherboard, and video card to build a machine for my dad, while new parts will be going into my current system.

I'm looking at sticking in a Q6600, 2 GB of RAM, and an 8800 GTS (Motherboard undecided at the moment) and I was wondering what power supply I should be getting to power all of this along with the 5 hard drives and CL X-Fi. I was hoping to get a modular one to reduce the number of cables running in my system, as well as one with the rounded cables for easy routing. Can anyone recommend a decent power supply that can handle all that hardware as well as accommodate the modularity/rounded cables? I don't want to spend too much money (Under about $180, preferably around $100 - $150) nor do I wanna end up with a noisier power supply.. so yeah, any help would be greatly appreciated!

July 27, 2007 3:57:22 AM

Check out the Corsair 620HX, it's got 620 watts of power, modular design, and it's actually a rebranded Seasonic PSU, with very high quality. It'll give you easily enough power for your system, and high stability and reliability. It's going for around $110-120 US online.
July 27, 2007 4:01:16 AM

Hmm, looks like it's more expensive than I first thought. It's $165 - $20 MIR on Newegg. It's kind of strange, because last week it was $110 Canadian on sale at NCIX.
Related resources
July 27, 2007 4:32:28 AM

Hmm thanks, I'll take a look at it. I'm gonna go look for that power calculator and see how much power it says my system might need.

Edit: Yeah, I did a check and it said my power requirements would be over 500W, so I think I'll shoot for the Corsair 620HX. That was the PSU I was initially looking at too, coincidentally.
July 27, 2007 4:59:00 AM

Captain_Soviet said:
Hmm, looks like it's more expensive than I first thought. It's $165 - $20 MIR on Newegg. It's kind of strange, because last week it was $110 Canadian on sale at NCIX.

ZipZoomFly.com has it for $126.90 after $20 mail in rebate plus FREE shipping. Great PSU BTW.
July 27, 2007 3:38:11 PM

I want a modular PSU as well. What about the Corsair 520HX? I was going to get that one until I read about some units having a buzz or whine sound while operating. Anybody read or hear about this? Any Corsair PSU owners reading this thread care to comment?
July 27, 2007 5:22:45 PM

Canuck1...I have the 520HX and have never heard a buzz or whine while using it...been a great power supply for me.

July 27, 2007 6:17:42 PM

I have the HX520 and I dont hear any whine or anything.I bought it from Provantage.com for $98 without any rebates involved. They also have fast delivery times. My setup ,e4300@3ghz & 8800GTS only uses at most 220 watts (3dmark 2006, TAT@100%, Bittorrent, and defraging 1 harddrive)and ~130 watts only surfing the web. I measured this with a "kill-a-watt" type device.
This is where I bought it:
http://www.provantage.com/~7CSMC02X.htm
Here is a good review at Silent PC review:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article692-page1.html
July 27, 2007 10:55:44 PM

I have an Enermax Liberty 620w that has been running awesome for about 2 years now in 2 different systems. Check out my hardware config to see what it's pushing. It's quiet and gets the job done while looking good. A high quality piece and I wouldn't hesitate one second to buy another Enermax psu.
August 1, 2007 5:46:37 AM

BtK said:
Anyone know if http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681... has long enough cables to reach comfortably in the Antec P182 case with a GA-P35C-DS3R MB?

Go to the manufacturer's website and download the spec sheet for the PSU. Most good spec sheets include the lengths of all of the cables. Then, do the same for the case (or just guess) and look at a picture of the mobo, noting where the connectors are located. You should be able to get a reasonable estimate of whether the cable lengths will work out.

Regards,

Altazi
!