WD Mybook world 2TB NAS - SLOW speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalman

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
I just got the Western Digital 2TB Mybook World edition NAS with gigE network interface.

I got it working and have been testing it. i cant break ~5MB/sec writes and ~7MB/sec reads. i tried different ports, different cables. different computers, multiple transfers. i tested my other comps again and they all are transferring just fine with 25-40MB/sec speeds. when i login to the mybook manager it says its connected at 1000mbit.

anyone have one of these and getting better results?

digitalman

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
right, well i of course know how to do it myself. this is for work and we need a simple easy solution and this seemed to fit the bill for a decent price. two 1TB drives in a tiny gigE nas box for $749 seems like a decent deal. you can even add another USB drive to it for extra storage.

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
Aah. Well, if you are a hardcore computer geek, i'm sure you tried to see how much it would cost for you to build it, and how much a NAS would cost. You realized you saved money buying a NAS so that's what you did. Probably because your boss said "No way I'm spending $300 more when I can get another machine that can do the same thing!". Well, as of right now you have a low performing brick in your cabinet. I'd tell my boss "So, how's that brick working for ya boss?"

Ok, I wouldn't really say that. But there's times when you need to look at the long term possibilities vice the short term. Sure, short term looks good. But what about long term? How much does a repair/replacement cost? You can probably fix a machine that's operating as a file server, but can you fix a broken NAS from WD? If your NAS dies, are you going to have backups, because i'm betting WD isn't gonna be overly concerned with saving your data. My old job had a WD NAS. It was a software RAID-5 and when the boot partition died, what was the solution? They Fedex overnight a new boot drive, and when you boot it up the first time it'll create you a brand spanking new RAID-5. How nice for them to wipe the RAID-5 partitions for us! Of course, since it was RAID-5, and 1 drive was bad, the data was possible to recover. But what would happen if we pulled the drives out and put them in another machine to recover the data? Voided warranty. Not a good answer from either end. Unfortunately my boss wouldn't listen to me when I told him we needed to do backups, or our 250GB of data would be lost to the ether. When his boss' boss's boss called up asking WTF was going on with his data cause it's not mapping the network drive his priorities changed alot. Suddenly backups were important(cough.. for a week afterwards). We did replace the bad drive, and we did pull the other 3 drives out and copied off the data against the warranty agreement. It was more important for us to get the data and hope WD never knows what we did than to just lose the data forever.

Because of this situation, I'm not sure if I'd ever buy a proprietary NAS storage. The risks of being at the mercy of WD are quite high. I'd prefer the risks be in my hands, and if I lose the data it's my fault and not WD.

tuser

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
Hi All, I purchased one of these (500GB) with a GB ethernet connection and could not exceed 40MB sec, obviously had all the correct connection items.

I contacted WD help / support and finally had a reply saying that even though the unit has a GB lan connection the onboard controller is 100MB lan only, which to me is just a little on the deceitful side.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
It seems that all of the WD/Seagate/Maxtor plug-and-play jobs are relatively slow, but they are low priced and "easy". I read tests of one, don't remember which, and it basically ran about as fast as a USB2.0 portable drive. I want one myself because I want easy, but not sure if I can accept the slow speed or not.

cronosmachine

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
I'm also purchase this device 2 days ago.
I have testing out using my LAN Gigabit even I tried to set the MTU to 9000.
The transfer speed only up to 155Mbps (18-19MBytes/s) transfer speed.
I used the cable provided from package it is Cat5e.
It could be cable need to use Cat6 instead.
Please PM me to get more discussion about this.
I tried to ask WD directly it seem their technical not good enough.

wolf2

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Hello folks,

I would caution against these WD MYbook NAS drives! I had 1TB WD Mybook for close to 1 year that gave mediocre performance/features that finally died on me (drive nocking with no startup). It took me close to 4 months to get my data recovered off the two drives.

To perform the recovery I had to gutt the enclosure, get the drives out, run Level-4 (surface repair) recovery in spinrite on the two drives, put it back into operation without the enclosure and get the data moved off the drive. Thankfully I was able to restore all my data.

After extensive research, I have found that building your own file server will give you the best performance, the best features, the best price, and provide you with an additional machine that runs mundane tasks (Internet Download Manager, Scheduled FTP jobs, etc) and offload your main computer from these tasks. Especially if you run it in a 24x7 operation. One of the issues with most NAS boxes are the proprietary OS prevents you from running complex computing tasks.

While I have not yet perfected the build of the home server, as I experienced some RAID problems, overall I believe you get the best value for dollars spent with a file server running a decent operating system. I have been running WinXP for a couple of months on this custom built home server and have been very happy with the results.

Good luck!

Umpa2010

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
This is so ironic because I have started out with a custom made server and after many years of service, decided to go the NAS route. There are two main reasons for my decision. These are in no perticular order.

1 Reliability, the NAS uptime is far better, I no longer have to mess with raid spazams, no virus or hackers.

2 Power ! My server had 13 500Gb drives in it giving me 6Tb of raid storage and a 500 Gb boot /work drive. To power this it had 2 500w PSU's the NAS takes just 15 watts a piece.

3 the server was also a media hub and MCE, serving tv to extenders. As well as downloading my stuff from torrents and newsgroups, so was on 24/7. I have now built a small mce pc just for tv, the upshot is that it turns on and off as required by the extenders, and it's only 250watts. A
big power saving.

4 I now use a small low power netbook to do my downloading, another power saving result.

5 having my system modular now means that one part
going tits up does not bring the system down, like it did before.

The only bummer is I used to use the server for encoding and stuff, but I can use another pc for that. So all in all I have made my system cleaner and meaner, and not relient on one huge power hungry noisey un reliable monster.

glenahan

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
i onyl wish i had that problem. Now, i'm a home user, and a non-pro. I have several macs on a multi-hub network in my house. But still, i get about 250kbps throughput on large transfers. Its painful.

By contrast, i get anywhere from 10-30 mbps on other devices attached to other macs int he network; and anywhere from 20-150 mbps overall on local devices (usb, 1394).

The WD is just awful.

I can attach a 9 year old firewires drive to a 12 year old powermac G4 (all 500 mighty mhz of it) through a cheapy hub and 802.11g and *still* get 20 mbps on a large folder (2Gig, many files).

Beyond belief.

G

Status
Not open for further replies.