Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP start-up cannot go on

Last response: in Windows XP
January 25, 2010 8:11:25 PM

Hello
My Dell laptop was installed with Windows XP, which was experienced with Audio problem 2 months ago. That is, there is no sound when playing with DVD or music. This problem was fixed upon reinstalling Dell Audio controller 6 weeks ago.

However, this last morning I met another problem: the Window Xp cannot be started up. Here I describe my experience more detail below.

When I pressed the Power button, the computer run with www.DELL.com showed and the screen was blue. A few second later, message was shown following (in red):

Welcome to
Dell MediaDirect

Building your Dell MediaDirect Files
The first time you initiate your Dell MediaDirect, it takes time to set up your Dell MediaDirect Files. After the initial use, Dell MediaDirect starts up much more quickly.

Another a fewer seconds later, The screen showed the following message:
Dell MediaDirect
Dell MediaDirect Express cannot access your hard drive. This may be because you had enabled Microsoft Bitlocker (Drive Encryption). Dell MediaDirect Express is not accessible because Microsoft Bitlocker is enabled.

And there is an Exit was shown at the right-bottom of the screen. I clicked on the Exit, then the laptop was shut down. Nevertheless, I restarted the computer , same problems were shown again.

In another try, I pressed on F8 quickly after pressing on the Power button. Then I selected Safe Mode with Prompt. the following message shows:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've been this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers, check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK / F to check for hard drive corruption, and restart your computer.

Technical Information:

*** Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF7C8C524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Then I restart the computer and pressed on F8 again, I could not go the mode selection again.

May you please diagnose the problem at your earliest convenience.

Thank and have a good day,

Please reach me by email at aihua.liu@uta.edu

More about : windows start

January 25, 2010 8:51:23 PM

Do you have a recovery partition, recovery discs, or windows XP disc?
m
l
January 25, 2010 11:19:54 PM

aford10 said:
Do you have a recovery partition, recovery discs, or windows XP disc?

I have a windows XP disc.
m
l
Related resources
January 26, 2010 1:24:48 AM

Thanks for your great suggestion. But, how can I back up my data? Because I cannot start up my computer at all. Is it necessary to back up the data before I do windows repair?
m
l
January 26, 2010 1:40:20 AM

The repair won't touch any of your personal data. It will simply replace the system files.
m
l
January 26, 2010 1:10:17 PM

I followed your steps (http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How [...] -t138.html ) to do the repair. The first two blue screens shown are the same as http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How [...] -t138.html . When presented with the 2nd screen . press the F8 key to continue. However, the screen as you suggested did not appeared. it showed blue screen with this message:

Windows XP Professional setup:

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.
Use the UP and Down Arrow Keys to select an item in the list.
- To set up Window XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
-To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C
- To delete the selected partition, press D.
____________________________________________________________-
152626 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus O on atapi [MBR]
unpartitioned space, *****MB
C: Partition 1 <MEDIADIECT.[fAT32]***mb <1045 MB>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is different from your third screen message. Obviously, the problem is still related with DELL MEDIADIRECT.

So I quitted .

May you please help me to fix it?

Thanks,

m
l
January 26, 2010 2:10:53 PM

At ^ that screen you were on, hit enter on your C partition. Does the next screen have an R option? If yes, repair it. If no, cancel and exit.
m
l
January 26, 2010 4:56:14 PM

Several months ago, I met the same problem to start up Windows XP. Then I inserted Win XP Disc and run the computer, i selected hit Enter on C partition. All data were lost. I am afraid to experience the same issue again.

BTW, how about select Repare when Second Blue screen message is presented?
m
l
January 26, 2010 5:53:21 PM

You should be able to hit enter on that screen, to see if the next screen has the Repair option. You should have at least one more screen before it would format your drive, as it should ask if you want a quick format or full format.

If you hit R on the 1st screen in the link, it'll take you into the repair console. You can try to run a chkdsk /r and see if that helps.

m
l
January 27, 2010 1:02:42 PM

At ^ that screen I am on, hit enter on the C partition. However, it shows there is not enough free space for Windows XP on C partition. Then it suggested whether you continue to install XP on C partition. If yes, Press ENTER. Otherwise, press ESC to exit. I exitted.

Does anyone know what is Microsoft Bitlocker (Drive Encryption)? How to disenable Microsoft Bitlocker?
m
l
January 27, 2010 1:27:49 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-i...

Did you run the chkdsk in the repair console? There's a couple other commands that may be some help: fixboot and fixmbr

If the repair console commands will replace your system startup files, and rewrite your master boot record.

If those commands don't work, you should continue in the the windows repair. Without seeing it, I'm not 100% sure, but continuing to the next screen of the XP repair/install should give you the repair option.

m
l
January 27, 2010 3:15:40 PM

Sorry. I have to adress it clearly.
I followed your steps (http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How [...] -t138.html ) to do the repair. The first two blue screens shown are the same as http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How [...] -t138.html . When presented with the 2nd screen . press the F8 key to continue. However, the screen as you suggested did not appeared. it showed blue screen with this message:

Windows XP Professional
setup:

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.
Use the UP and Down Arrow Keys to select an item in the list.
- To set up Window XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
-To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C
- To delete the selected partition, press D.
____________________________________________________________-
152626 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus O on atapi [MBR]
C: Partition 1 <MEDIADIECT.[fAT32]***mb <1045 MB>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then I hit ENTER on the C partition. it showed there is not enough free space for Windows XP on C partition. Followed Windows Setup suggested me continue or not? I wondered and didn't go on.
Do you suggest me to continue in this case?
m
l
January 27, 2010 3:49:30 PM

The problem is, your drive is using the FAT32 file system instead of NTFS. I've never tried this method of repair on a FAT32 drive.

The size of your C partition isn't near the size of your whole drive. You could set up a new partition using the unpartitioned space. The problem with this is, it will then become your boot partition. All the path files on your original drive will be broken. The registry would be a mess, and most of your programs would no longer work.

You could take the drive, and slave it in another system to retreive some of your files before a clean windows install. You would still have to rinstall your programs after the windows reinstallation.

If you continue to the next screen, after it says there isn't enough room, you may get the option to repair that current install. I don't believe it will start formatting your hard drive. That's your decision though.

Those are about all the options.....
m
l
January 27, 2010 8:27:14 PM

the problem you are having is that you have bitlocker on your drive, as such the windows cd cannot "see" your hard drive in full.

you will need to find a way of decrypting your drive before trying to repair your installation. were you prompted to create a recovery cd when you encrypted your drive?? if so did you create one?

if you have a recovery cd then you should be able to boot from this to decrypt your drive.
m
l
January 28, 2010 12:18:37 AM

Thanks for your suggestion. I did not create a recovery cd before. May you please show me how to create one before I encrypte my hard drive.
m
l
January 28, 2010 12:27:00 AM

More points. Dell didn't provide me recovery CD when I purchased it. However, I just found from the package which has two cds. One is drives and utilites.
the other is MediaDirect. Both were installed in the computer and can be used for reinstalling. I have no idea those help.
m
l
January 28, 2010 12:29:11 AM

Unfortunately, they won't help repair your current install.
m
l
January 28, 2010 7:35:39 AM

are you sure you are runnning bitlocker on XP? if the drive truly is encrypted you will need to take it out of your machine and try to mount it on another PC running bitlocker. once you have it mounted you will need to decrypt it. in order to mount it you will more than likely need the password you setup when you encrypted the drive.

Apologies if all this is completely incorrect and useless but you mentioned bitlocker in a previous post and i have just recently had the same issue with another piece of encryption software.
m
l
January 28, 2010 11:52:50 AM

This is the way to fix the problem:

1. on start up (Dell logo), press F2 to enter BIOS

2. expand the "Drives" section

3. go to "SATA Operation"

4. change from "RAID Auto/AHCI" to "RAID Auto/ATA"

Save BIOS changes and reboot

It will work I've done it on Optiplex 330 (without OS) and Inspiron 1545 (removed Vista and added XP)

Cheers

Nick
m
l
January 28, 2010 4:41:07 PM

As your suggestion, I pressed F2 to enter BIOS on start up (Dell logo). It shows the following message:
Dell INc. Vostro 1500
--System
System Info
Processor Info
Memory Info
Device Info
Battery Info
Battery Health
Date/Time
Boot Sequence
--Onboard Devices
--Video
--Security
--Performance
--Power Management
--Maintenance
--Past Behaviour
--Wireless

Then I moved the arrow on Boot Sequence, there are messages on the right box below:

Boot Squence
This list speciifies the order that the BIoS searches devices when trying to find an operating system. Only devices that are proceeded by a number are bootable (The SPACE key contolls whether a particluar device is bootable).
Diskette Drive
1. CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
2. Internal HDD
USB storage device
onboard NIC

I suppposed to selected 2 and pressed ENTER. However, there are no responses shown. I never saw message as Expanding the Drives section as you addressed in your method.

May you please show me how to continue in more detail way?

Thanks,
m
l
January 28, 2010 6:04:56 PM

i don't think that this is your problem, if it was then XP wouldn't be on your machine already.

Are you absolutely sure that Bitlocker is on your drive? if so the only way to do anything with it is to completely decrypt the drive.
m
l
January 29, 2010 7:50:35 AM

With my BIOS I go:

- settings
- system configuration

the click the + to expand

- SATA operation

then change from AHCI to ATA

that's worked on two very different Dell machines but I'm not sure if the Vostro has SATA

Maybe you can check that and respond

p.s. sorry for my delay in responding

aihua said:
As your suggestion, I pressed F2 to enter BIOS on start up (Dell logo). It shows the following message:
Dell INc. Vostro 1500
--System
System Info
Processor Info
Memory Info
Device Info
Battery Info
Battery Health
Date/Time
Boot Sequence
--Onboard Devices
--Video
--Security
--Performance
--Power Management
--Maintenance
--Past Behaviour
--Wireless

Then I moved the arrow on Boot Sequence, there are messages on the right box below:

Boot Squence
This list speciifies the order that the BIoS searches devices when trying to find an operating system. Only devices that are proceeded by a number are bootable (The SPACE key contolls whether a particluar device is bootable).
Diskette Drive
1. CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
2. Internal HDD
USB storage device
onboard NIC

I suppposed to selected 2 and pressed ENTER. However, there are no responses shown. I never saw message as Expanding the Drives section as you addressed in your method.

May you please show me how to continue in more detail way?

Thanks,

m
l
January 29, 2010 9:52:27 AM

Solved.
The problem was that Microsoft Bitlocker enabled Dell MediaDirect on the drive. After decryption of the drive, the Windows XP start up successfully.
m
l
January 29, 2010 9:57:42 AM

excellent, lembi2001 was right
m
l
January 29, 2010 10:18:31 AM

glad you fixed it. well done
m
l
January 29, 2010 1:37:02 PM

Well done lembi2001