Intel chip?

Which would you recommend for a games machine

E6600
E6700
Q6600

Or anything else?
14 answers Last reply
More about intel chip
  1. it is better to take q6600 as it is cheap and in another 6 months, quad core cpus will be quite essential as many softwares and games will come that makes use to multitasking. Hope i helped.
  2. don't listen to lordszone. there wont be any programs that utilize 2 cores let alone 4 cores in the next few months. the closest game i can think of that claims it can is UnrealTournament 3. They may b good but you cant fully utilize it. get an X6850. Here is aus u can pick 1 up for about $350 which is dirt cheap!!!!!
  3. im going to poke a stick and say, none of them are worth changing your x2 6000+ for at stock...
  4. I say Q6600 ,
    here is a review of Q6600 vs E6850 :
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3038&p=8
  5. lordszone said:
    it is better to take q6600 as it is cheap and in another 6 months, quad core cpus will be quite essential as many softwares and games will come that makes use to multitasking. Hope i helped.

Ahhh I would get the quad core too, but in regards to games and software that use multiple cores, I wouldn't hold you breath on that one. Still waiting for games to have dual core support. Not very many games do and benchies that I have seen show only a +10 in frames for the extra core. The software writers better get on the ball. Now everyone thinks you have to have a quad core cpu...........and before the end of 2008 they will have you believing you need a octo-core cpu. All these gains I will believe it when I see it. People seem to be forgetting that your GPU is still the biggest factor in your gaming experience.
  6. listen guys crysis will benefit from multi core, and most probably many if not all directx 10 games will benefit from multi core. so this means that games and softwares and not far away. try to update your knowledge. Hope i helped
  7. I would say Q6600 and overclock it to 3GHz and then/if games start using four cores then you already have them.
  8. If you do use program that are multithreaded (video encoding, ...) go with the Q6600.
    Have the OS, Anti-Virus, blablabla, having more than one core helped a lot responsiveness
    of the OS. So today, a dual is the minimum to have (I have now a E6600 and :)).

I would go with the Q6600 and the new good price of that chip is a steal!
  9. I'd have to second rammedstein....
  10. Me too. I'd wait at least until the Penryn quads are out in December, maybe even until the end of 2008. Your current CPU is already very good. You've already got 4 GB of RAM, a RAID array would help but not that much. If you need more gaming power spend your cash on a 8800 GTX or Ultra, the rest of the system is already fine.
  11. q6600. It can be found for $299 now, which is fantastic. Go for it.
  12. q6600 is cheap but your going to have to spend more money on a PSU as well better cooling.

Quad cores are really for mega tasking, and multi core programing, check how many games are going to support multicore {i don't really know}.

anyways what resolution are you running your games

low: processor bottleneck
    high: video card bottleneck

I'm with rammedstein on this one, wait a year. or I'm sure their is a better way to get $100 upgrade vs $400-$600{new DDR3 ram} cost.
  13. theuprightman24 said:
    Which would you recommend for a games machine

E6600
    E6700
    Q6600

Or anything else?

You just wanted to stir the pot, right?
  14. croc said:
    You just wanted to stir the pot, right?

Yeah I did - interested in views and thoughts. Built my first system about 5ish years ago when AMD was the way to go. Recently built another system and because I found AMD easier to understand I used the 6000+, but Intel would of been a better choice.

So yes I was stirring the point to increase my understanding of Intel for the future.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Chip Games Intel Systems