Motehrboard Monitor Replacement

mis33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
Since Motherboard Monitor is no longer available, what do you use to monitor the various temperatures of your PC?

One of the great features of the old Motherboard Monitor was the display of CPU temperature in the Windows Taskbar.

mis33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
Just installed Speedfan, it displays the hard disk temperature in the system tray. Any way to can set it to display CPU or motherboard temperature?

I also do not see too many settings there, maybe I am trying this software in a Dell. My new PC will be ready in a few days, I will try again.

In the meantime, are there any other monitoring utilities I can try?

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
i just started using PC Wizard 2007 you have manually refresh to monitor temps but it seems to do ok. i'm thinking about buying everest ultimate any one have opinions.

GuyAmI

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Depending on your MB manufacturer there may be a utility that you can download from them to monitor things like temps. Asus for instance has something called PC Probe 2 that'll let you monitor CPU and MB temps, the rotation speeds of various fans, and different voltage settings. All of it from within Windows and in real time.

mis33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
I am getting a Ausu P5K-Premium, so I can use the PC Probe 2.

How is this PC Probe compared to the other monitoring utilities, like SpeedFan?

GuyAmI

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
PC Probe 2 is okay so long as you don't want to adjust anything, it's almost purely a monitoring utility since about the only thing you can sort of adjust is the CPU fan. Sort of depending on whether or not Q-Fan is enabled. If it's enabled, you can use PC Probe 2 to set a predetermined CPU temp that if reached will tell Q-Fan to increase the CPU's fan speed. The theory being that Q-Fan will intelligently adjust CPU fan speed (higher or lower) depending on the CPU temp. Whether or not you use it will depend on if you believe any number of talks about it. Some people say yay, some say nay. Your choice.

But if all you want to do is pure monitoring (CPU temp, MB temp, CPU fan speed, Chipset fan speed, Chasis fan speed, different voltages), in Windows, in real time, and all at once, then as far as costs go PC Probe 2 is pretty decent since it's free.

mis33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
Not sure if I should enable Q-Fan in the Asus BIOS.

I will install a Freezer Pro 7 to cool the Q6600. The fan speed of the Freezer Pro 7 is supposed to go up/down on the CPU temperature.

GuyAmI

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Most of the stuff I've read, granted it was only may 7 or 8 posts but in most of what I've read about Q-Fan, people say that they only notice something like +/- 7 degree temperature variation depending on whether or not it's on. The one thing they all mention is an annoying whine when Q-Fan makes the CPU fan speed up, which is understandable considering higher RPMs means more noise.

But I just read up on the Freezer Pro 7 and it says that you can adjust fan speed but only through the BIOS. So if you turn off Q-FAn and go with the FP7, you won't be able to do any real-time adjustment of the CPU fan. You'd either have to get something like a Zalman Fanmate seperately or buy a CPU that comes with a fan speed controller included like the CNPS9700 LED.