Overclock issues with my AMD +3500

Bonzox

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
So I've messed around with overclocking before but I wanted to try again and I keep having the same issue. When I get my Motherboard clock speed to about 215, any games or benchmarks I run get shut down by my video card. My ATI Radeon X1300, keeps getting this "VPU Error" and just shuts everything down. Is there anyhting I can do to get around this or am I stuck with my stock speed?

Gryphyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
There are two possibilities that come to my mind.

1) Your PCI-E bus being clocked up at the same time as your processor. Look for an option in your bios to lock your PCI-E bus to 100 MHz. While you're at it, it would also be good to lock your PCI bus at 33.33MHz. If you are running SATA hard drives, you may want to make sure that the SATA channels are locked. Some motherboards lock all of them, some only lock a couple. If everything you don't want overclocked is locked down, it will promote stability in your system.

2) It may be that your power supply just doesn't have enough juice to support the overclock. As you clock things up, they draw more power. If this is the case, it may just be that your GPU is finding the lack of power first.

Bonzox

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
I'll try my best to get all the info out here.

Abit Mobo: AV8 (VIA K8T00P-8237)
Chipset: NB - K8T00P Pro, SB - VT8237

AMD Athlon 64 +3500 - Venice Core
Socket: 939
Core Speed: 2247 MHz
Multiplier: x 11.0
Bus Speed: 204 MHz
HT link: 1021 MHz

Memory: DDR SDRAM - PC3200 (200 MHz)
Size: 2048 MBs

Video Card: ATI Radeon X1300
Interface: AGP 8X

I'm also running a pretty new Kingwin 450watt power supply.

I think this should be it, right now the system is stock... Just waiting for some more info. Thanks again.

racingman24

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
Bonzox:

I read your oc info, you don't mention if you slow down your HT Link to 4x because HT Link maximum recommended all time is 1000 mhz. So default value es 5x and you multiply 215 x 5 = 1075. Other posibility what kind of cooler you use, because stock cooler is not good for serious oc 215 x 11 = 2365 mhz so you need to check temp. Another think you need check are the bios option cool & quiet AMD motherboard use. You need disable that option because temp rise quickly when you oc. Another thing are maximum temp for shutdown some time put in 70 celsius or disable that only if you have good heatsink. Check that things and post your results friends

racingman24

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
I forgot another thing, you need to consider that VIA chipset motherboard are good stable mobos but no so good for oc, search info about your mobo.

racingman24

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
Jejeje brainstoming men. Memory speed is important too, 200 mhz is = to 400 mhz you need to slow down memory speed to 166 = 333 mhz. When you oc memory speed need to be around 400, is you memory are good maybe yu can go further 450 mhz but not too high men. Ok consider all variable here OC are try and error combination Good Luck Bonzox

Bonzox

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
Well I'm using a Kingwin KA-9228 heatsink. It's pretty chill nothing close to 45c. My memory was already set to 333 MHz so that's not an issue. I'm not sure how to set my HT to 4x though, since I've been messing with it, it's gotten above the 1000 MHz level and I'm a little worried it will mess something up if it gets to high, ot is it just the heat that is the problem? Anyways, thanks for all the info but I guess it's just something I have to try out, I just wish I knew if increasing the voltage to the core would stop the VPU from crashing.

Bonzox

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
Most of the time I try to OC the processor, I get to about 210 or 215 and then when I try playing a game or running a benchmark using something with 3D in it, it blacks out and bring up this massage saying my VPU has stoped responding to commands and it tried to restart it but it won't. Then it just wants me to restart the computer oh and when it chrashes it goes into 800 x 600 in like 8 bit color.

Bonzox

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
Alright so since I'm using the Abit AV8, I tried OCing with the uGuru Utility and well at first it seemed to be holding to gether fine but then once I ran PCmark04 the stupid VPU crashed again. I'm dieing here, when am I doing so wrong that the only thing in my system that's not stable is the VPU? The BIOS say's it's fixed at 66MHz, is it really? and how do I keep my HT from going higher then the stock 1021MHz? it seems to scale with the clock speed. Is there something I"m missing in the BIOS? RAM timings, can these be an issue? I just wish something would go right with this here...

Bonzox

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
I think I've got it. I had a hard time getting it together but I downloaded the newest version of the BIOS for my mobo, and now I'm clean running the benchmarks at both 215 clock and 225 clock. I'm still running a even lower 34c at idle.