AMD Demos Phenom FX Chips at 3.0GHz

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Nice ^_^...Read some of it in dif reviews today...But always good to have more thorough info ^_^...

Nice to see that the 2.3 ghz and above barcelona cpu's will be available this year...That's atleast some good news for amd.....Now if only we had some actual benchmarks >_<

justjc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I hope this will silence the people who claim AMD doesn't have a chance to come back with Barcelona, 3 Ghz is a nice step up from the pessimistic max of 2 Ghz that many claim these chips to have.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
At launch it will be up to 2 ghz....So we won't see the higher clocks. At least that's what it said in the article if I remember correctly (Skimmed through it...going to give it a full read tomorrow..about to sleep). But the 2.3 to 3 ghz models will be available this year..which is a great thing since it was planned to be a q1 2008 scenario..but not anymore ^_^

accord99

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
5.9 is the maximum score for Vista. So it's another benchmark that once again says little on the true (or lack of) performance of the Barcelona core.

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
So if 5.9 is the best score possable does that mean all future processor upgrades will be a waste?
Phenom FX the only processor anyone will ever need, forever. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006

I read that Miscrosoft will eventually increase the maximum value when the market will progress.
With newer super fast CPU/Video card, that index will probably increase soon.
So, there will be more room.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/0fee4637-8b21-41f1-87f6-66d2205420d61033.mspx
As newer, faster hardware becomes available, Microsoft will increase the top end of the rating scale to allow scores of 6.0 and higher. That means the score you see today will have the same meaning at any point in your computer's lifetime. For example, even if the top end of the WEI range increases to 8.0, my computer's base score will remain at 2.2 if I don't make any hardware changes.

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
well, this is Phenom which is Agena and not Barcelona. Barcelona is still launching at 2.0 GHz and going to 2.6; this is the desktop part which I think is going to launch higher than 2.0 GHz, at least that's the plan...

Windows score is a poor benchmark to tout, they were merely showing that they have a fast part. It was stock cooling, too, by the way...

But the production part at 3.0 GHz is still said to be a little while away. At least they can demo a working fast sample, though, which is better than the situation with Barcelona.

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Lets get excited when you can actually buy it and if Intel doesnt have a better chip out at the time...

AMD is really slacking these days imho.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Indeed Vista is not a 'benchmark', my comp maxes out 5.9 in everything (Q6600/8800GTX)...
SO you can have dual 8800GTX cards and match me at 5.9... When clearly your rig is superior to the one I am running. Furthermore you could have a QX6800 and match the Q6600…

All Vista is doing is saying you meet the minimum requirements to be 5.9+

With that said… it’s good that B.Gates gave Barcelona a 5.9 ….

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
I pointed this out in the other thread, but if the system is paired with 3 ATI cards, it's probably a gaming platform and 3.0 Ghz is an OC (how much of one, we don't know).

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

That's a bad point. Overclocking is simply running parts at above their spec. The fact that you can overclock simply means that parts are binned below their potential, for whatever reason. This is a proof of concept - the fact that you can run the part at 3.0 Ghz, which up until this point was unclear. In fact, "overclock" is not even a defined term for the part, 'cause noone knows what "stock speed" is.

DJ_Jumbles

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007

Good point. I keep coming back to this same issue on here for some reason: stock and OC'd are apples and oranges. In this case, you can't make a judgement as to the OC potential, so don't start trying. There are probably 10 fake benchmarks for these already and everyone (once again... remember all the crap data coming out for the R600's???) seems to be an expert on parts that they've never actually seen, just heard about. Source reporting is getting WEAK in this industry... it's starting to sound like every major news outlet these days: "A source close to the son of the lead engineer, who is a friend of a friend of my cousin that works down at the grocery store who chooses not to be identified because they are not authorized to speak on these issues stated: blah blah blah" Man... glad I can rely on the information that I'm getting being accurate! :sarcastic:

TRENDING THREADS