Help! - new system and xp won't install

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
(I did post this under Windows XP general as well, because I wasn't sure where it should go, or if the fix is softare or hardware related)

I don't know what else to do. I cannot get XP pro 64 bit to install. Sometimes it doesn't even get to the copying files section. Sometimes it makes it almost 75% of the way.

I just built the system:

Antec 900
E6750
MSI p6n diamond
Sony Optiarce IDE DVD/CD drive (7170)
WD2500ys 250 gb hard drive
Crucial Ballistix 2 x 1GB ram pc 6400 (I have the other 2 to install too)
MSI 8800 gts 640 oc
OCZ 700w sli psu

I have an oem version of xp pro to install. I have many times tried to start over, repair, reformat, continue on the same partition, etc. I have yet to be successful and have now been at it for many hours.

Does anyone know why this won't finish the install? Most of the time it just stops making progress. Sometimes it gets my hopes up by copying many of the files and then stalls about halfway through.

I have checked the temperature through the BIOS. I have burned another copy of the CD (thinking the boot disk might be bad w/ the optical drive). I am at a loss for what to do.

If anyone has any idea, please (PLEASE!!!!) help me out.

Thanks so much

In BIOS, bump up your RAM voltage to at least mfg. specs., 2.0-2.1 volts.

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
If you're oc'ing, reset your bios to default until you get your OS installed.
If your XP cd is new, return it for an exchange (there might be some bad files on it).
Good Luck

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Sorry didn't notice the ram.
I'd remove the extra 2 sticks until you get your OS running.
Some boards have a problem with all 4 slots being filled.
After your OS is up and running, do like Badge says, increase your RAM voltage to the mfg. specs or just buy a 4gig set.