lembi2001

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Hello all

I work as a technician in a number of Primary Schools and I have been asked by some of the schools if there is a way to ensure that Number Lock is switched off on all machines before they log in. I have done a few searches on google but have no results that work.

I have tried editing the registry however this only works AFTER they have logged in. Disabling Num Lock at boot in bios doesn't work as windows likes to override this setting.

The reason i have been asked for this is that the schools have Laptops which the children use and when they are typing in their usernames they are obviously getting a mixture of numbers and letters in the username field.

Does anyone have ANY ideas how i can disable the number lock at boot??

Cheers
Leighton

Are you absolutely sure that your changing the correct key (the .DEFAULTUSER one)? I've just tried this on my Windows 7 system and it works. (NumLock is off at the logon screen and then comes on when I log on.) Everything I read says that this works for all Windows versions.

lembi2001

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I have checked on every laptop. i think i have found the problem now anyway. it appears to be a permissions thing!?!?!

gonna speak to domain admins to get them to fix it!

Cheers anyway