Sign in with
Your question

E6750 - what memory/mobo to get?

Last response: in Systems
July 29, 2007 6:17:05 PM

Hi all,

I currently have an athlon64 3000 with 2gb of ddr2 400 and a geforce7600gt. mobo is asrock 939Dual-SATA2

I'm thinking of upgrading the system. I'd like something a little more powerful for gaming. Last few beta's i applied for i didnt get in because they said i didnt meet the minimum specs - i feel ashamed :) 

Right now I want to replace the cpu/mobo/memory and the vid card i'll do later. Mainly because i like this card since it's passively cooled so there's no loud fan. Water cooling everything would be nice but i dont want to spend that much right now.

So i'm thinking the pentium E6750 as my cpu, along with 2gb of either ddr2 800 or 1033. Not sure what mobo i want to get yet. I dont have any plans to use dual graphics cards so i dont think i need anything that supports that. I'd like the mobo to have onboard sound, networking and a decent amount of PATA/SATA ports. Right now i have 1SATA and 3PATA drives (2 hd's and 1 dvd burner). So i need something with at least 2 pata ports. 2 should be enough since any new drives i get will be SATA.

So i have a few basic questions:

will this cpu with the 800 memory be worth it? should i get the 1033 memory? any suggested mobo? and if i did want to get a newer video card now, what would be recommended? i do not want to buy top of the line. Something mid-range or on the higher end of mid-range should be good enough for me. although, if i wait to buy the vid card i'd probably consider buying something higher end later on.

So, any suggestions?

Oh, and i've built systems before so i'm not a total noob. Last time i put one together though was about 2 years ago.

More about : e6750 memory mobo

July 29, 2007 7:53:11 PM

Just a consideration, but a PCI PATA drive controller would free up what board you want more towards performance/durability instead of depending on what drives it can support. They are very cheap and in the future things will be SATA anywho right?

Just a thought...

Raid version

Non-Raid version

PS - They also have PCIx versions of drive controllers
Related resources
July 29, 2007 10:00:42 PM

yamagiru said:
Personally I'm looking at a E6850 with an ASUS P5K, Patriot ram (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220161).

As far as a video card, wait until the new Nvidia card come out at the end of the year, even if you don't want to pay for one of those the current 8800's should drop in price quite a bit.

Hmm, it's $100 more for the E6850 - it doesnt seem worth the extra $100 to me.

and i think i'll probably follow your advice for the video cards.
July 29, 2007 10:03:42 PM

MrTechnoFreak said:
Just a consideration, but a PCI PATA drive controller would free up what board you want more towards performance/durability instead of depending on what drives it can support. They are very cheap and in the future things will be SATA anywho right?

Just a thought...

Raid version

Non-Raid version

PS - They also have PCIx versions of drive controllers

Hmm, thats a good point. I hadn't considered that. From my quick search it seems like most boards come with one or two pata ports anyhow. But if i see one without pata support but looks good in other respects, i'll pick it up with an extra controller card.

thanks for the suggestion
July 31, 2007 8:56:49 PM

Oh one other question - what chipset is considered good for an intel dual core?
July 31, 2007 9:16:26 PM

P35 Mobo with DDR2-1066 memory.

The e6750 should hit 3.8Ghz easily with this combo.
Even higher should be possible.

DDR2-800 or older motherboards may limit the CPU due to FSB issues.
July 31, 2007 10:01:19 PM

I'm not really planning on doing any overclocking. It doesn't seem worth it to me. Plus i want to try and keep things quiet so i dont want the cpu running hotter then it has to.

Eventually at some point I'd like to upgrade to water cooling. Maybe then I'll try overclocking it a bit.

Thanks for the suggestions
August 1, 2007 1:42:05 AM

msi 975x platinum power up edition, has the PATA ports you need, great overclocking, petty good all round mainboard, for cpu, i would say the E4500, dirt cheap, runs great, bump the fsb to 266 and it is at 2926mhz easy... get a good kit of pc 6400 (ddr800) ram, and an 8800gts, get a thermaltake bigtyphoon, big, cheap, quiet and cool...
August 1, 2007 2:30:20 AM

yamagiru said:
One thing I'm thinking about trying with mine for my first water system is CoolIT's Eliminator (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835227001)

A little over clock would work well but even if you don't it should run very cool/quiet with something like this I would think.

does that support also cooling the video card? Because if/when i go with water cooling, i want something that will work with both the cpu and video card since those will most likely be the loudest things in the system. I've seen maximum pc rate some cooling kits and i think for about $250 you can cool both the cpu and video.

Right now i'm not worried about the video because that's passively cooled and you cant get much more quiet then that :) 
August 10, 2007 4:43:18 AM

merk said:
can someone tell me why these two cpu's are almost $100 different in price? they seem the same to me except the more expensive one is 1033fsb while the cheaper one is 1333fsb. is there something bad about the faster bus?

E6700 $317 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

E6750 $235
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

heck the E6700 is even $5 more then the E6850 which is 3.0ghz

Yeah... Get the E6750 or the E6850 instead of the E6700 or E6800. They just came out in late July and they run slightly faster than their predecessors, which are actually more expensive as you have found out. There's one down side with them having a locked multiplier, but that won't matter to you since you won't be overclocking (and even if you did decide to overclock the newer ones are better anyway, you just need a mobo and ram that support a high FSB). Do yourself a favor and get the E6750 and save a little money to put toward your other items.
August 10, 2007 10:21:30 AM

Im looking at doing the same, but I suggest if you look at the Toms Hardware CPU Charts 2007, you'll notice the rather large difference between the E6850 and the E6750.

Personally though (living in the UK), £120 for the E6750 is still better value than the £170 for the E6850. The extra £50 isnt worth spending for a marginally better proccessor.

The CPU charts do however highlight the fact that there is no speed difference between the E6700 and the E6750! If anything the E6750 is better!

As for the graphics card, if you can wait, then do. The 8900 series is going to be out in the next 6 months, then the 8800GTX is going to be a bargain I think.

As for the motherboard, I STRONGLY suggest getting an SLi compatible board. If you fork out that bit extra for the intel 975 chipset or better the Nforce 680i chipset, it will be much more futureproof and although you dont have any plans for using SLi, in a year or two's time, it is a very cheap way of extending the life of your graphics card and getting a huge jump up in performance. Its also good if you ever decide to run a tripple or quad monitor desktop (they are AWESOME!!)

The ram I personally dont think you should worry too much about. If your not going to overclock (I dont bother either), your much better off getting some lower end branded and guarentee'd ram and saving your pennies for a better processor or mobo

EDIT:
Link for the CPU charts here - http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/07/16/cpu_charts_2007/
August 10, 2007 5:14:10 PM

Hmm, yeah definitely seems like the 6750 is a better value for the dollar compared to the 6850.

Also seems like worrying about getting a board/memory that supports FSB1333 isnt all that important unless i want to worry about upgrade paths in the future. I'm not too sure i'm worried about that since when i upgrade, i usually tend to upgrade the mobo/cpu/ram at the same time. I think i've only once just bought a faster cpu.

I will keep an eye out for boards with the 680i chipset and if its not a huge gap in price or extra's, i'll pick that up.

I'm not too worried about triple or quad monitors - i'd settle for dual right now :)  I toyed with the idea of a dual monitor but I haven't tried that yet.

thanks for the suggestions
August 10, 2007 5:59:06 PM

Ok, i just put this together:
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWish... hListNumber=4709485

I'm pretty happy price-wise. After rebates it'll come out to $464. I need to do a little more research into that mobo and the memory it supports. And I'll have to check that my current power supply will support this. But i think it will. I dont remember which one i have but i bought a decent one for my current system.
a b } Memory
August 10, 2007 6:35:10 PM

looks nice , but if u dont play @ resolution higher than 1920x1200 , then get P35 and save some money
August 10, 2007 6:52:07 PM

what does the chipset matter for the resolution? are you talking about using dual video cards?
a b } Memory
August 10, 2007 8:22:19 PM

Well , i mean get SLI if u play higher than 1920x1200 , otherwise get a nice P35 board instead and save some $ :D 
August 12, 2007 4:32:44 AM

oh ok. so you are saying dont worry about getting the nvidia chipset if i dont plan on using SLI.

I dont run at resolutions that high. I normally run everything at 1280x1040. I think i'll look at the nvidea chipsets. if i can find something for the same price as the p35 with the features that i want, i might as well get it in case i change my mind at some point about using dual cards.

Or is there any sort of performance benefit to the p35 chipset?
August 12, 2007 4:39:33 AM

oh and one other thing - anyone know of a good store to order parts from thats not in calif? that way i dont have to pay sales tax :)  Otherwise i'll just order from newegg
a b } Memory
August 12, 2007 7:13:12 AM

P35 advantages :You have a wide selection ,; There are some boards which support only DDR3 , There are some boards that support Both DDR2 and DDR3 , and There are some which support only DDR2 , also next gen 45nm CPU support and also its a rumor that PCI-E 2 will work with P35
August 12, 2007 9:06:31 AM

ok, thanks for the info. sounds like p35 is the better choice for me if i am not going with dual video boards.
a b } Memory
August 12, 2007 9:09:03 AM

yep thats right
August 12, 2007 1:05:39 PM

yamagiru said:
One thing I'm thinking about trying with mine for my first water system is CoolIT's Eliminator (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835227001)

A little over clock would work well but even if you don't it should run very cool/quiet with something like this I would think.

Isn't the CoolIT Eliminator a TEC (sometimes called peltier) cooler, not water - or a hybrid, as some say, since a simple peltier solution would produce condensation?

I agree with everyone so far. If you are not going SLI and do not plan on overclocking, go for the p35 w/ the E6750. I have the 6750 and it's fast right now, even w/o the overclock.
August 12, 2007 2:10:07 PM

merk said:
Hi all,

I currently have an athlon64 3000 with 2gb of ddr2 400 and a geforce7600gt. mobo is asrock 939Dual-SATA2

I'm thinking of upgrading the system. I'd like something a little more powerful for gaming. Last few beta's i applied for i didnt get in because they said i didnt meet the minimum specs - i feel ashamed :) 

Right now I want to replace the cpu/mobo/memory and the vid card i'll do later. Mainly because i like this card since it's passively cooled so there's no loud fan. Water cooling everything would be nice but i dont want to spend that much right now.

So i'm thinking the pentium E6750 as my cpu, along with 2gb of either ddr2 800 or 1033. Not sure what mobo i want to get yet. I dont have any plans to use dual graphics cards so i dont think i need anything that supports that. I'd like the mobo to have onboard sound, networking and a decent amount of PATA/SATA ports. Right now i have 1SATA and 3PATA drives (2 hd's and 1 dvd burner). So i need something with at least 2 pata ports. 2 should be enough since any new drives i get will be SATA.

So i have a few basic questions:

will this cpu with the 800 memory be worth it? should i get the 1033 memory? any suggested mobo? and if i did want to get a newer video card now, what would be recommended? i do not want to buy top of the line. Something mid-range or on the higher end of mid-range should be good enough for me. although, if i wait to buy the vid card i'd probably consider buying something higher end later on.

So, any suggestions?

Oh, and i've built systems before so i'm not a total noob. Last time i put one together though was about 2 years ago.

I would suggest upgrading your GPU instead. Most new games coming are more out to require DX10. Thats unless were talking about Crysis which you may need a Q6850. The E6750 is price wise getting close to quad prices with a G0 stepping Q6600 can hit 3.8GHz there is little reason to buy a costly dual core. If you must buy a dual core I would suggest a cheaper dual core. The E4400 will hit 3.4GHz and allows for cheaper mobo and RAM. The savings would allow for a good DX10 GPU.
August 12, 2007 7:09:34 PM

elbert said:
I would suggest upgrading your GPU instead. Most new games coming are more out to require DX10. Thats unless were talking about Crysis which you may need a Q6850. The E6750 is price wise getting close to quad prices with a G0 stepping Q6600 can hit 3.8GHz there is little reason to buy a costly dual core. If you must buy a dual core I would suggest a cheaper dual core. The E4400 will hit 3.4GHz and allows for cheaper mobo and RAM. The savings would allow for a good DX10 GPU.

I really dont feel like over clocking. As far as i know, there arent too many DX10 games out now (are there any?). So i think for now I'll upgrade the cpu/mobo and then later on i'll upgrade the GPU. Worst case scenario ... i'll just order a new gpu next week when i find that the cpu/mobo doesnt give me the boost i wanted :) 

as for quad core - thought there werent that many apps around that would take advantage of a quad core right now? Thats why i thought it would be better to go with a faster dual core vs a slightly slower quad core. The 2.44 quad would cost me about $90 more then the 2.66 dual.

and i could always drop in a quad core cpu later on.

how much of a boost would i see with a quad core right now?
August 13, 2007 4:33:46 AM

so right now I'm considering these two mobo's:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...
http:// www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813131189

More likely with the first one, the gigabyte board. The only thing i can see that i gain with the asus board is an external sata connection. I dont think i'll be using that and the giga board is a few bucks cheaper. But of course directron doesn't carry that one ;p But at least they have the asus one.

Assuming no one gives me a reason not to go with that mobo, then the only other question is would i see a difference between ddr2 800 and ddr2 1066 ? Looks like there's about a $40-$50 price difference for the 800 vs 1066 (looking at patriot memory).
August 13, 2007 5:16:27 AM

huron said:
Isn't the CoolIT Eliminator a TEC (sometimes called peltier) cooler, not water - or a hybrid, as some say, since a simple peltier solution would produce condensation?

I agree with everyone so far. If you are not going SLI and do not plan on overclocking, go for the p35 w/ the E6750. I have the 6750 and it's fast right now, even w/o the overclock.

The CoolIT system is a closed liquid cooling loop that is cooled by a TEC that is regulated so it won't produce condensation. Not much of a performance gain over air cooling and sometimes beat by it (depending on HSF)!
A processor that is cooled with a TEC will produce condensation but can reach sub-zero temps (with this setup a liquid cooling loop cools the hot side of the TEC).
CoolIT systems are not worth it IMO.

!