Can I replace thermal pad with grease for stock intel?

srhadden

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
I built a new system but I am replacing the motherboard. So I'm going to need to pull the CPU out. I have a boxed intel quad core.

Will I be able to use thermal grease instead of the intel thermal pad? I've never done this, and I'm concerned that maiybe the headsink and fan is not designed for grease, sinced the pad was kinda thick compared to a thin layer of grease.

Thanks for any advice.

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Yes you can use thermal grease. Just clean off the pad and the CPU. use a coffee filter and alcohol.

Check out the guide from Arctic Silver guide

www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_quad_wcap.pdf

1Haplo

srhadden

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
Well, I'll see how it goes. The arctic silver instructions actually recommend a coffee filter. Works for me.

I just hope this alcohol will be able to break down the thermal pad, since it's made with wax, so I'll see what happens.

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
coffee filter is the cheapest soft cloth that will not leave residue or fibers behind.

also if the pad is exceptionally thick make sure that with out the pad the HS/F will contact the CPU good. meaning that either the clips or screws on the Heatsink will go down far enough to touch the CPU head evenly. is it the stock Intel Heatsink? then yes absolutely.

my only question is why would they use a pad for a quad core? everyone knows thermal paste is better, shame on intel for being cheap.

srhadden

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
Yes, it is the stock Intel Heatsink. And yes, it did come with a pad.

How will I know if it is even touching the cpu after the pad is removed????

If you reinstall the heatsink correctly, there shouldn't be any worries. The pressure of the clips holds the heatsink securely to the cpu, and contact between the cpu and heatsink is almost assuredly guaranteed.

If it doesn't contact, you would know within seconds after booting up, as your system would shut down.

srhadden

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
Well, I appear to have had success. Thanks for all the help.

It was interesting to see the thermal pad was totally melted and gray. I didn't realize it melted so completely. It is not a pad at all anymore. It easily scraped off with a plastic card. I cleaned the surfaces with alchohol, and applied the arctic ceramic like the instructions said.

Seems good, the temps are all within good ranges. Wee.

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
It's easy to replace but you probably wouldnt gain anything. You could also raise your temps. I think the change is insignificant.

srhadden

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
Yeah. Like I said, I had no choice. I replaced my MB, so I had to do it. All I want is my new quad core not to burn up. :D