Web content/active desktop NOT

Somehow or other, I've lost the ability to show web content on my xp pro
desktop. In particular, I'd like to show some photos, but the
desktop->properties->desktop->custom->web list has no effect at all.
Is there a way to fix this?
-Lew
8 answers Last reply
More about content active desktop

    Display Properties Desktop background tab lists only BMP files
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/jpgbackground.htm

    You must be connected to the Internet to add active Web content to your
    desktop.

    [[To add Web content to your desktop
    Right-click a blank area on the desktop, and then click Properties.
    On the Desktop tab, click Customize Desktop.
    On the Web tab, click New, and then follow the instructions on your screen.

    Notes
    • You must be connected to the Internet to add active Web content to your
    desktop.
    • To browse Microsoft's Desktop Gallery Web site, in the New Desktop Item
    Wizard, click
    Visit Gallery. The New Desktop Item Wizard opens when you click New on
    the Web tab.
    • To select a different Web site, type the Web site address, or click Browse
    to locate it. ]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eNHAD4kfFHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Somehow or other, I've lost the ability to show web content on my xp
    > pro desktop. In particular, I'd like to show some photos, but the
    > desktop->properties->desktop->custom->web list has no effect at all.
    > Is there a way to fix this?
    > -Lew

    Wes!
    Doesn't help. As I indicated in my post I *am* talking about the
    customize->web tab. When I add something to the list and check it, it still
    does not show up on my desktop. I have an always on dsl connection which is
    working fine all the time, it's never turned off.

    -Lew

    > Display Properties Desktop background tab lists only BMP files
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/jpgbackground.htm
    >
    > You must be connected to the Internet to add active Web content to your
    > desktop.
    >
    > [[To add Web content to your desktop
    > Right-click a blank area on the desktop, and then click Properties.
    > On the Desktop tab, click Customize Desktop.
    > On the Web tab, click New, and then follow the instructions on your
    > screen.
    >
    > Notes
    > • You must be connected to the Internet to add active Web content to your
    > desktop.
    > • To browse Microsoft's Desktop Gallery Web site, in the New Desktop Item
    > Wizard, click
    > Visit Gallery. The New Desktop Item Wizard opens when you click New on
    > the Web tab.
    > • To select a different Web site, type the Web site address, or click
    > Browse
    > to locate it. ]]
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:eNHAD4kfFHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Somehow or other, I've lost the ability to show web content on my xp
    >> pro desktop. In particular, I'd like to show some photos, but the
    >> desktop->properties->desktop->custom->web list has no effect at all.
    >> Is there a way to fix this?
    >> -Lew

    Lew,

    Try approaching it from another direction.

    [[To use a graphic from a Web site as your background
    1. Open your Web browser and find a graphic on a Web site that you want to
    use as your background.

    2. Right-click the graphic, and then click Set as Background.

    3. View your desktop to see the graphic displayed.

    Note
    • To open Display, click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and
    Themes, and then click Display.

    • To change the display options for the graphic, in the Display Properties
    dialog box, click the Desktop tab, and in the Position list, click
    Center, Tile, or Stretch.

    • When you use a graphic from a Web site as background, it is saved in the
    background list as Internet Explorer Background. Each new graphic you
    define as a background replaces the old one. ]]
    From To use a graphic from a Web site as your background
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_set_web_background.mspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:Or1WASmfFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wes!
    > Doesn't help. As I indicated in my post I *am* talking about the
    > customize->web tab. When I add something to the list and check it, it
    > still does not show up on my desktop. I have an always on dsl connection
    > which is working fine all the time, it's never turned off.
    >
    > -Lew

    >> Display Properties Desktop background tab lists only BMP files
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/jpgbackground.htm
    >>
    >> You must be connected to the Internet to add active Web content to your
    >> desktop.
    >>
    >> [[To add Web content to your desktop
    >> Right-click a blank area on the desktop, and then click Properties.
    >> On the Desktop tab, click Customize Desktop.
    >> On the Web tab, click New, and then follow the instructions on your
    >> screen.
    >>
    >> Notes
    >> • You must be connected to the Internet to add active Web content to your
    >> desktop.
    >> • To browse Microsoft's Desktop Gallery Web site, in the New Desktop Item
    >> Wizard, click
    >> Visit Gallery. The New Desktop Item Wizard opens when you click New on
    >> the Web tab.
    >> • To select a different Web site, type the Web site address, or click
    >> Browse
    >> to locate it. ]]
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:eNHAD4kfFHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >> Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Somehow or other, I've lost the ability to show web content on my xp
    >>> pro desktop. In particular, I'd like to show some photos, but the
    >>> desktop->properties->desktop->custom->web list has no effect at all.
    >>> Is there a way to fix this?
    >>> -Lew

    Doesn't help, Rick. I'm not looking to create a background, I want to show a
    number of individual pictures, primarily, but not exclusively, from my own
    hard disk on my desktop. A desktop background is something else altogether.
    -Lew
    > Lew,
    >
    > Try approaching it from another direction.
    >
    > [[To use a graphic from a Web site as your background
    > 1. Open your Web browser and find a graphic on a Web site that you want to
    > use as your background.
    >
    > 2. Right-click the graphic, and then click Set as Background.
    >
    > 3. View your desktop to see the graphic displayed.
    >
    > Note
    > • To open Display, click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and
    > Themes, and then click Display.
    >
    > • To change the display options for the graphic, in the Display Properties
    > dialog box, click the Desktop tab, and in the Position list, click
    > Center, Tile, or Stretch.
    >
    > • When you use a graphic from a Web site as background, it is saved in the
    > background list as Internet Explorer Background. Each new graphic you
    > define as a background replaces the old one. ]]
    > From To use a graphic from a Web site as your background
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_set_web_background.mspx
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:Or1WASmfFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Wes!
    >> Doesn't help. As I indicated in my post I *am* talking about the
    >> customize->web tab. When I add something to the list and check it, it
    >> still does not show up on my desktop. I have an always on dsl connection
    >> which is working fine all the time, it's never turned off.
    >>
    >> -Lew

    >>> Display Properties Desktop background tab lists only BMP files
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/jpgbackground.htm
    >>>
    >>> You must be connected to the Internet to add active Web content to your
    >>> desktop.
    >>>
    >>> [[To add Web content to your desktop
    >>> Right-click a blank area on the desktop, and then click Properties.
    >>> On the Desktop tab, click Customize Desktop.
    >>> On the Web tab, click New, and then follow the instructions on your
    >>> screen.
    >>>
    >>> Notes
    >>> • You must be connected to the Internet to add active Web content to
    >>> your
    >>> desktop.
    >>> • To browse Microsoft's Desktop Gallery Web site, in the New Desktop
    >>> Item
    >>> Wizard, click
    >>> Visit Gallery. The New Desktop Item Wizard opens when you click New on
    >>> the Web tab.
    >>> • To select a different Web site, type the Web site address, or click
    >>> Browse
    >>> to locate it. ]]
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> In news:eNHAD4kfFHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >>> Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:

    Maybe Rick can help you, but in the mean time...

    Are you talking about a slide show Screen Saver?

    To use personal pictures as a screen saver
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_set_picture_as_screensaver.mspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uiTqZ03fFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Doesn't help, Rick. I'm not looking to create a background, I want to
    > show a number of individual pictures, primarily, but not exclusively,
    > from my own hard disk on my desktop. A desktop background is something
    > else altogether. -Lew
    >> Lew,
    >>
    >> Try approaching it from another direction.
    >>
    >> [[To use a graphic from a Web site as your background
    >> 1. Open your Web browser and find a graphic on a Web site that you want
    >> to use as your background.
    >>
    >> 2. Right-click the graphic, and then click Set as Background.
    >>
    >> 3. View your desktop to see the graphic displayed.
    >>
    >> Note
    >> • To open Display, click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and
    >> Themes, and then click Display.
    >>
    >> • To change the display options for the graphic, in the Display
    >> Properties dialog box, click the Desktop tab, and in the Position
    >> list, click Center, Tile, or Stretch.
    >>
    >> • When you use a graphic from a Web site as background, it is saved in
    >> the background list as Internet Explorer Background. Each new graphic
    >> you define as a background replaces the old one. ]]
    >> From To use a graphic from a Web site as your background

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_set_web_background.mspx

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:Or1WASmfFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    >> Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Wes!
    >>> Doesn't help. As I indicated in my post I *am* talking about the
    >>> customize->web tab. When I add something to the list and check it, it
    >>> still does not show up on my desktop. I have an always on dsl connection
    >>> which is working fine all the time, it's never turned off.
    >>>
    >>> -Lew

    Hi Wes:
    Sorry about the name mistake. No, I'm not talking about the slide show
    screen saver. I want to show pictures on my desktop. The way to do this in
    XpPro is to go to Display Properties->DeskTop->Customize Desktop->Web tab
    and add the photos to the web pages list. I know how to do this, but the
    problem is that it stopped working on my computer. I need to know how to
    *fix* it, so it works again.
    HTH
    -Lew

    > Maybe Rick can help you, but in the mean time...
    >
    > Are you talking about a slide show Screen Saver?
    >
    > To use personal pictures as a screen saver
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_set_picture_as_screensaver.mspx
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:uiTqZ03fFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Doesn't help, Rick. I'm not looking to create a background, I want to
    >> show a number of individual pictures, primarily, but not exclusively,
    >> from my own hard disk on my desktop. A desktop background is something
    >> else altogether. -Lew
    >>> Lew,
    >>>
    >>> Try approaching it from another direction.
    >>>
    >>> [[To use a graphic from a Web site as your background
    >>> 1. Open your Web browser and find a graphic on a Web site that you want
    >>> to use as your background.
    >>>
    >>> 2. Right-click the graphic, and then click Set as Background.
    >>>
    >>> 3. View your desktop to see the graphic displayed.
    >>>
    >>> Note
    >>> • To open Display, click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance
    >>> and
    >>> Themes, and then click Display.
    >>>
    >>> • To change the display options for the graphic, in the Display
    >>> Properties dialog box, click the Desktop tab, and in the Position
    >>> list, click Center, Tile, or Stretch.
    >>>
    >>> • When you use a graphic from a Web site as background, it is saved in
    >>> the background list as Internet Explorer Background. Each new graphic
    >>> you define as a background replaces the old one. ]]
    >>> From To use a graphic from a Web site as your background
    >>>
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_set_web_background.mspx
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> In news:Or1WASmfFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    >>> Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:

    Lew,

    Display Properties->DeskTop->Customize Desktop->Web tab
    Has four buttons:
    New
    Properties
    Synchronize

    Are any of these buttons grayed out?
    Or they just don't do anything?

    I must admit that I didn't know that you could add pictures to the Desktop
    using Web tab | New. So I tried it and you can add multiple pictures that
    way.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uJbkzVAgFHA.3232@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi Wes:
    > Sorry about the name mistake. No, I'm not talking about the slide show
    > screen saver. I want to show pictures on my desktop. The way to do this in
    > XpPro is to go to Display Properties->DeskTop->Customize Desktop->Web tab
    > and add the photos to the web pages list. I know how to do this, but the
    > problem is that it stopped working on my computer. I need to know how to
    > *fix* it, so it works again.
    > HTH
    > -Lew

    >> Maybe Rick can help you, but in the mean time...
    >>
    >> Are you talking about a slide show Screen Saver?
    >>
    >> To use personal pictures as a screen saver

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_set_picture_as_screensaver.mspx

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:uiTqZ03fFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    >> Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Doesn't help, Rick. I'm not looking to create a background, I want to
    >>> show a number of individual pictures, primarily, but not exclusively,
    >>> from my own hard disk on my desktop. A desktop background is something
    >>> else altogether. -Lew

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_set_web_background.mspx

    Wes:
    Exactally, you can add photos, but I can't.

    > I must admit that I didn't know that you could add pictures to the Desktop
    > using Web tab | New. So I tried it and you can add multiple pictures that
    > way.

Desktops Microsoft Windows XP