Web content/active desktop NOT

July 1, 2005 3:04:57 PM

Somehow or other, I've lost the ability to show web content on my xp pro
desktop. In particular, I'd like to show some photos, but the
desktop->properties->desktop->custom->web list has no effect at all.
Is there a way to fix this?
-Lew
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 3:27:42 PM

Display Properties Desktop background tab lists only BMP files
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/jpgbackground.htm

You must be connected to the Internet to add active Web content to your
desktop.

[[To add Web content to your desktop
Right-click a blank area on the desktop, and then click Properties.
On the Desktop tab, click Customize Desktop.
On the Web tab, click New, and then follow the instructions on your screen.

Notes
• You must be connected to the Internet to add active Web content to your
desktop.
• To browse Microsoft's Desktop Gallery Web site, in the New Desktop Item
Wizard, click
Visit Gallery. The New Desktop Item Wizard opens when you click New on
the Web tab.
• To select a different Web site, type the Web site address, or click Browse
to locate it. ]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eNHAD4kfFHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
> Somehow or other, I've lost the ability to show web content on my xp
> pro desktop. In particular, I'd like to show some photos, but the
> desktop->properties->desktop->custom->web list has no effect at all.
> Is there a way to fix this?
> -Lew
July 1, 2005 5:46:12 PM

Wes!
Doesn't help. As I indicated in my post I *am* talking about the
customize->web tab. When I add something to the list and check it, it still
does not show up on my desktop. I have an always on dsl connection which is
working fine all the time, it's never turned off.

-Lew

> Display Properties Desktop background tab lists only BMP files
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/jpgbackground.htm
>
> You must be connected to the Internet to add active Web content to your
> desktop.
>
> [[To add Web content to your desktop
> Right-click a blank area on the desktop, and then click Properties.
> On the Desktop tab, click Customize Desktop.
> On the Web tab, click New, and then follow the instructions on your
> screen.
>
> Notes
> • You must be connected to the Internet to add active Web content to your
> desktop.
> • To browse Microsoft's Desktop Gallery Web site, in the New Desktop Item
> Wizard, click
> Visit Gallery. The New Desktop Item Wizard opens when you click New on
> the Web tab.
> • To select a different Web site, type the Web site address, or click
> Browse
> to locate it. ]]
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:eNHAD4kfFHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Somehow or other, I've lost the ability to show web content on my xp
>> pro desktop. In particular, I'd like to show some photos, but the
>> desktop->properties->desktop->custom->web list has no effect at all.
>> Is there a way to fix this?
>> -Lew

July 2, 2005 3:38:11 PM

Lew,

Try approaching it from another direction.

[[To use a graphic from a Web site as your background
1. Open your Web browser and find a graphic on a Web site that you want to
use as your background.

2. Right-click the graphic, and then click Set as Background.

3. View your desktop to see the graphic displayed.

Note
• To open Display, click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and
Themes, and then click Display.

• To change the display options for the graphic, in the Display Properties
dialog box, click the Desktop tab, and in the Position list, click
Center, Tile, or Stretch.

• When you use a graphic from a Web site as background, it is saved in the
background list as Internet Explorer Background. Each new graphic you
define as a background replaces the old one. ]]
From To use a graphic from a Web site as your background

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o r1WASmfFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wes!
> Doesn't help. As I indicated in my post I *am* talking about the
> customize->web tab. When I add something to the list and check it, it
> still does not show up on my desktop. I have an always on dsl connection
> which is working fine all the time, it's never turned off.
>
> -Lew

>> Display Properties Desktop background tab lists only BMP files
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/jpgbackground.htm
>>
>> You must be connected to the Internet to add active Web content to your
>> desktop.
>>
>> [[To add Web content to your desktop
>> Right-click a blank area on the desktop, and then click Properties.
>> On the Desktop tab, click Customize Desktop.
>> On the Web tab, click New, and then follow the instructions on your
>> screen.
>>
>> Notes
>> • You must be connected to the Internet to add active Web content to your
>> desktop.
>> • To browse Microsoft's Desktop Gallery Web site, in the New Desktop Item
>> Wizard, click
>> Visit Gallery. The New Desktop Item Wizard opens when you click New on
>> the Web tab.
>> • To select a different Web site, type the Web site address, or click
>> Browse
>> to locate it. ]]
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:eNHAD4kfFHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Somehow or other, I've lost the ability to show web content on my xp
>>> pro desktop. In particular, I'd like to show some photos, but the
>>> desktop->properties->desktop->custom->web list has no effect at all.
>>> Is there a way to fix this?
>>> -Lew
July 3, 2005 3:14:50 AM

Doesn't help, Rick. I'm not looking to create a background, I want to show a
number of individual pictures, primarily, but not exclusively, from my own
hard disk on my desktop. A desktop background is something else altogether.
-Lew
> Lew,
>
> Try approaching it from another direction.
>
> [[To use a graphic from a Web site as your background
> 1. Open your Web browser and find a graphic on a Web site that you want to
> use as your background.
>
> 2. Right-click the graphic, and then click Set as Background.
>
> 3. View your desktop to see the graphic displayed.
>
> Note
> • To open Display, click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and
> Themes, and then click Display.
>
> • To change the display options for the graphic, in the Display Properties
> dialog box, click the Desktop tab, and in the Position list, click
> Center, Tile, or Stretch.
>
> • When you use a graphic from a Web site as background, it is saved in the
> background list as Internet Explorer Background. Each new graphic you
> define as a background replaces the old one. ]]
> From To use a graphic from a Web site as your background
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:o r1WASmfFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Wes!
>> Doesn't help. As I indicated in my post I *am* talking about the
>> customize->web tab. When I add something to the list and check it, it
>> still does not show up on my desktop. I have an always on dsl connection
>> which is working fine all the time, it's never turned off.
>>
>> -Lew

>>> Display Properties Desktop background tab lists only BMP files
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/jpgbackground.htm
>>>
>>> You must be connected to the Internet to add active Web content to your
>>> desktop.
>>>
>>> [[To add Web content to your desktop
>>> Right-click a blank area on the desktop, and then click Properties.
>>> On the Desktop tab, click Customize Desktop.
>>> On the Web tab, click New, and then follow the instructions on your
>>> screen.
>>>
>>> Notes
>>> • You must be connected to the Internet to add active Web content to
>>> your
>>> desktop.
>>> • To browse Microsoft's Desktop Gallery Web site, in the New Desktop
>>> Item
>>> Wizard, click
>>> Visit Gallery. The New Desktop Item Wizard opens when you click New on
>>> the Web tab.
>>> • To select a different Web site, type the Web site address, or click
>>> Browse
>>> to locate it. ]]
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:eNHAD4kfFHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>>> Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 12:39:11 PM

Maybe Rick can help you, but in the mean time...

Are you talking about a slide show Screen Saver?

To use personal pictures as a screen saver

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uiTqZ03fFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
> Doesn't help, Rick. I'm not looking to create a background, I want to
> show a number of individual pictures, primarily, but not exclusively,
> from my own hard disk on my desktop. A desktop background is something
> else altogether. -Lew
>> Lew,
>>
>> Try approaching it from another direction.
>>
>> [[To use a graphic from a Web site as your background
>> 1. Open your Web browser and find a graphic on a Web site that you want
>> to use as your background.
>>
>> 2. Right-click the graphic, and then click Set as Background.
>>
>> 3. View your desktop to see the graphic displayed.
>>
>> Note
>> • To open Display, click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and
>> Themes, and then click Display.
>>
>> • To change the display options for the graphic, in the Display
>> Properties dialog box, click the Desktop tab, and in the Position
>> list, click Center, Tile, or Stretch.
>>
>> • When you use a graphic from a Web site as background, it is saved in
>> the background list as Internet Explorer Background. Each new graphic
>> you define as a background replaces the old one. ]]
>> From To use a graphic from a Web site as your background

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:o r1WASmfFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>> Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Wes!
>>> Doesn't help. As I indicated in my post I *am* talking about the
>>> customize->web tab. When I add something to the list and check it, it
>>> still does not show up on my desktop. I have an always on dsl connection
>>> which is working fine all the time, it's never turned off.
>>>
>>> -Lew

July 3, 2005 7:30:52 PM

Hi Wes:
Sorry about the name mistake. No, I'm not talking about the slide show
screen saver. I want to show pictures on my desktop. The way to do this in
XpPro is to go to Display Properties->DeskTop->Customize Desktop->Web tab
and add the photos to the web pages list. I know how to do this, but the
problem is that it stopped working on my computer. I need to know how to
*fix* it, so it works again.
HTH
-Lew

> Maybe Rick can help you, but in the mean time...
>
> Are you talking about a slide show Screen Saver?
>
> To use personal pictures as a screen saver
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:uiTqZ03fFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Doesn't help, Rick. I'm not looking to create a background, I want to
>> show a number of individual pictures, primarily, but not exclusively,
>> from my own hard disk on my desktop. A desktop background is something
>> else altogether. -Lew
>>> Lew,
>>>
>>> Try approaching it from another direction.
>>>
>>> [[To use a graphic from a Web site as your background
>>> 1. Open your Web browser and find a graphic on a Web site that you want
>>> to use as your background.
>>>
>>> 2. Right-click the graphic, and then click Set as Background.
>>>
>>> 3. View your desktop to see the graphic displayed.
>>>
>>> Note
>>> • To open Display, click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance
>>> and
>>> Themes, and then click Display.
>>>
>>> • To change the display options for the graphic, in the Display
>>> Properties dialog box, click the Desktop tab, and in the Position
>>> list, click Center, Tile, or Stretch.
>>>
>>> • When you use a graphic from a Web site as background, it is saved in
>>> the background list as Internet Explorer Background. Each new graphic
>>> you define as a background replaces the old one. ]]
>>> From To use a graphic from a Web site as your background
>>>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
>>>

>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:o r1WASmfFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>>> Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 9:08:54 PM

Lew,

Display Properties->DeskTop->Customize Desktop->Web tab
Has four buttons:
New
Properties
Synchronize

Are any of these buttons grayed out?
Or they just don't do anything?

I must admit that I didn't know that you could add pictures to the Desktop
using Web tab | New. So I tried it and you can add multiple pictures that
way.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uJbkzVAgFHA.3232@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Wes:
> Sorry about the name mistake. No, I'm not talking about the slide show
> screen saver. I want to show pictures on my desktop. The way to do this in
> XpPro is to go to Display Properties->DeskTop->Customize Desktop->Web tab
> and add the photos to the web pages list. I know how to do this, but the
> problem is that it stopped working on my computer. I need to know how to
> *fix* it, so it works again.
> HTH
> -Lew

>> Maybe Rick can help you, but in the mean time...
>>
>> Are you talking about a slide show Screen Saver?
>>
>> To use personal pictures as a screen saver

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:uiTqZ03fFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> Lew <lew@clsystems.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Doesn't help, Rick. I'm not looking to create a background, I want to
>>> show a number of individual pictures, primarily, but not exclusively,
>>> from my own hard disk on my desktop. A desktop background is something
>>> else altogether. -Lew

July 4, 2005 6:22:40 AM

Wes:
Exactally, you can add photos, but I can't.

news:o L0xGQCgFHA.3944@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

!