zalman clip installation

Elvira

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
First time installing a hsf. Trying to screw the clip(s-type) onto the fan to hold it on the cpu and there seems to be a lot of force needed to get both sides to screw into the clip support. Have already installed the cpu, fan clip support and backplate.

Zalman cnps9700 nt
intel core 2 duo e6850
evga 680i sli 775 1333MHz (122-CK-NF68-A1) mobo

Do I need to bend the clip a bit to get both sides screwed in or just press really hard?

thnx for any help.

There is an installation movie here. Nice chest.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/view.asp?idx=229&pr_name=9700

Elvira

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
Thnx, nice video, had watched it already but I couldn't hear anyone cussing or freaking out at how hard it was to press that clip down. jk Definitely got everything in the right place and all. Read a review that mentioned "not cracking anything". GAH! It is not physically possible to screw one side in and then the other without quite a bit of force. Just like to hear from someone who installed one in the same situation and didn't smash their cpu. Want to be sure I don't need to alter that clip a bit.

Elvira

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
thnx mito, thats a relief. i will try... made some soft noises that sounded a little scary but i think all went well. :p
will post one last time as soon as i test the finished product.

fred-e

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
I had to put alot of pressure on the clip as well, was scary but seemed to work out well. Will say, your Mobo and the Zalman usually requires a bit of modding the back plate that goes under the MoBo. There's a few articles out there that tell you how to do it but basically, I had to dremmel a few places to make it fit properly. But it sounds like your install went well so if this wasn't an issue, no worries.